Ideas please!!!

LoveMyApollo

We have tons of land, (465 acres) So we tend to let apollo run free. Basically, you turn off the main road, and into our driveway, and theres this little house on the left.. And about half a mile up, you turn into our driveway with our house, and all around us is our land.. Well, some where near us, some bear hunters lost their hounds, and they got into our neighbors chickens (neighbor saw this) well a day later, We found apollo coming up the driveway with a chicken in his mouth.. We are not sure if apollo happened to find one that those other dogs had the day before, or if he went down and killed one himself. We've had chickens before and he loved to just lay beside them, not try to attack them. But i think our best bet here is to believe that the chicken he found, he also killed... Just in case.... As i know that the breed does tend to do this.. Our neighbor isn't sure if he lost another one or not, and never accused apollo.. So to make a long story short... is there any reasonable ways (no shocking collars please, i find this cruel! ) that we can work with apollo, to make sure that he knows messing with the chickens is a BIG NO NO......!!! Right now he is either getting his walk, in the house, or in the kennel.... And i hate that!!!! please help!!

I'm afraid it's a Husky thing to have that very high prey drive, don't think you'll be able to teach him not to mess with the chickens. Could you fence some of your land to make it enclosed so he can run free without you worrying (obviously not all your land as that would be a lot of fences :eek:)

I'm afraid it's a Husky thing to have that very high prey drive, don't think you'll be able to teach him not to mess with the chickens. Could you fence some of your land to make it enclosed so he can run free without you worrying (obviously not all your land as that would be a lot of fences :eek:)

Thats what i was afraid of!! i have heard horrible ways to fix the problem!! and it just makes me sick!! Someone told me to put him in a barrel with a lid make sure that its latched and put a dead chicken in there with him, and roll him down a hill!!! that by the time he got to the bottom he would be sick as a dog and would never want to get near a chicken again... ! ! People are so cruel!! i said yea he'd also prob be so scared, and injured there wouldn't be much of a dog left, and told him maybe some one should put him in a freakin barrel and roll him down a hill.. .. and yes lol that would be a lot of fences (; That was my plan to put some fencing up, just wanted to see if anyone else had found an effective way (:

Unfortunately a high prey drive is one of the breed traits - you cannot train it out of them. I would suggest, if you don't want this to happen again, to either fence in your yard (although because of the amount of land you have, this may not be practical), or to put him on a tie-out. I know they make 150 ft lines, so you could attach a whole bunch of 150 ft lines to each other so he has a lot of space to run around on. But I guess this would only work well if there aren't a lot of trees...mine has been on a tie-out for 3 years, and he still hasn't figured out the concept that he isn't supposed to wrap around and trap himself around trees!

Thats what i was afraid of!! i have heard horrible ways to fix the problem!! and it just makes me sick!! Someone told me to put him in a barrel with a lid make sure that its latched and put a dead chicken in there with him, and roll him down a hill!!! that by the time he got to the bottom he would be sick as a dog and would never want to get near a chicken again... ! ! People are so cruel!! i said yea he'd also prob be so scared, and injured there wouldn't be much of a dog left, and told him maybe some one should put him in a freakin barrel and roll him down a hill.. .. and yes lol that would be a lot of fences (; That was my plan to put some fencing up, just wanted to see if anyone else had found an effective way (:

:banghead: :eek: oh my god, some people are unbelieveable with their ideas. Sounds like that man needs :angry1:

Have a chat with [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] he lives out in the middle of nowhere too and let his pooches run free until one of them simply didn't come back.

Huskymom09 posted a thread a couple of months ago with pictures of the kennel/run they built for their pack. It is truly the best solution, see if you can find the thread - I cant help as I am not near my computer. If you cant find it I will find the thread for you tomorrow.

I haven't read all this thread, just [MENTION=1354]Andy[/MENTION] s note and ... well,I lies, I went back and reread the whole thing.

I *had* a really loving Husky by the name of Misty, if you've looked at any of the thread "Where's Al live" well, I live on a sort of ranch - 200,000 acres bordered by Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas ... to say that my dogs have plenty of land to run an is an understatement. I intentionally let Misty run since she'd hunt and bring home her own meals. After 2.5 years out here, she took off one night and just never came home ... did something / someone get her, I haven't the vaguest. I now have two Husky's who are constantly either with me (on leash) or attached to a 30 ft lead on the house - I *am NOT* going through that again.

If you really love the dog, keep him home - whatever it takes. If you have neighbors with animals, you're really asking to have someone bring him home ... so you can bury him and that's not how you want him brought home. Please!! it may sound cruel, but keep him on a lead, keep him in a fenced yard, whatever it takes.

( Explanation, this is basically a 200,000 acre subdivision with 1,100 miles of roads ... my nearest full time neighbors are close to a mile away ... there's no reason I should not be able to let my dogs run except for the fact that they're Husky's and seem to get in 'chase mode' and forget where home is ... as I said, I'm not letting another dog run cause I'm not going to go through the heartache of not knowing. Your dog, your call ..... )