Going to get a Husky in March - Need breeder

Phallen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you shouldn't rush your choice since this is a 12-15 year commitment. Though there is of course a chance you will find one around that time. I think you should look up whatever is the AKC equivalent in the UK and search for a breeder there. Good Luck and I hope you find what you're looking for :)

It's going to be hard to find a good decent reputable breeder who will just let u buy a puppy like that , that's if u find one that has puppies available to home at the right age for when u need it , they take a lot longer then a month to train too , whats going to happen when u have to go back to work? The puppy will only be about 3 months old it will still toilet in your house at that age n possibly even chew stuff if left alone

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

It takes a long time to research and find a reputable breeder, and even longer for you to build up a relationship with such breeder in order for you to purchase one of their puppies. This isn't a decision that 'just happens' because you have scheduled time in your life. A puppy is a life long commitment. What is the plan for when you go back to work? I'd agree, look at rescue. Plenty of dogs out there needing homes, even some that are already somewhat trained.

I agree with the others - a dog is a huge commitment. 12ish years of your life.

I'd recommend doing a lot of research on the husky breed, and then considering to rescue one instead if you feel you can handle it. A month isn't nearly enough time for a puppy - it seems like your lifestyle would be the perfect choice for a rescue.

The breeders that I know would not let anyone just go and pick a dog and allow them to take it there and then. If it's a reputable breeder they will take time and have you visit to get the dog used to you before you take it home. Most will also expect you to sign a contract as well so that they can keep track of the dog and ensure that you and the dog are getting on as you should and also ensure the future of the dog if you can't handle it. I would think twice about anyone who did just let you take a dog there and then.

Gary.

Note too that as a member of this association your not allowed to look at any pages in here of adoptions or fostering or anthing to do with the subject until some moderator or such deems fit your grown up enough to have access to such info.

Cant find the bit where it says what time on lockdown you have to spend before your "OK" .

Bet its after youve uploaded some cute photos everything becomes ok.

As the others have said maybe a rescue would be your best option but I have to ask if you have actually researched the breed and have any idea of what you are getting yourself into? What is your main motivation for getting a dog? We did months of research before we got Kodi and we're still learning 8 months on! And all reputable breeders are not just going to give you a puppy. Most breeders on the KC website have waiting lists and would want to get to know you before they gave you one of their 'babies'. Please give this a lot of thought before making the commitment as they are fantastic dogs that deserve our love and respect. We'd all hate you to get a pup then find they were too much work for you or not what you were expecting.

Note too that as a member of this association your not allowed to look at any pages in here of adoptions or fostering or anthing to do with the subject until some moderator or such deems fit your grown up enough to have access to such info.

Cant find the bit where it says what time on lockdown you have to spend before your "OK" .

O.o If you're talking about the 'Free to good home' section of the forum, it opens up to members after 250 posts.

My only question is why did you reserve time off work ahead of time like this? If its possible to un-request time off work, my opinion would to wait until you find a good breeder, get to know them, then request time off work when you have a deposit on a upcoming litter and know the time it will be ready. Or as many have said, look into a rescue :)

What you may be noticing by this time is that we're all pretty passionate about the breed and know the pitfalls and downside of this breed that we have all come to love so much. We're a pretty 'protective' bunch and only want each and every husky to find a home and keep it.

Best of luck in your search.

www.htpuppiescb.com

this site will get you started in the right direction: ie, health tested animals from responsible breeders, but, as mentioned, it is unlikely that a good breeder will have a litter at any given time, and if they do have pups year round, walk away. Even getting a puppy just as a companion, you want as few health problems as possible so when they are older, you don't have to put them down before they even reach the breed average. My old girl is coming up on 13 1/2 and her grandam lived to 17. Good breeders also aim for longevity.

You could always post an introduction with photos and see?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm just going to state again, people that have puppies 'readily available' to go home with anyone who has the cash up front isn't a quality breeding program. They may have KC registered puppies, but of what health and of what quality? Breeding is more than putting a male dog with a female dog and producing puppies. Quality breeders, ones that health test and back up the quality of the pedigree by showing and/or working the dogs, won't just sell anyone off the street a puppy without some sort of introduction and base relationship.

If your already speaking to a breeder then why are u looking for a different one? (just curious)

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Hey, just to see if anyone is nearer, better etc. I'm just looking around.

I'm just going to state again, people that have puppies 'readily available' to go home with anyone who has the cash up front isn't a quality breeding program. They may have KC registered puppies, but of what health and of what quality? Breeding is more than putting a male dog with a female dog and producing puppies. Quality breeders, ones that health test and back up the quality of the pedigree by showing and/or working the dogs, won't just sell anyone off the street a puppy without some sort of introduction and base relationship.

Hey, I mean the breeder is registered as a breeder form the KC.

just because a breed is registered doesnt always mean they are a good breeder most breeders who bred good quality pups usually have a waiting list and its pretty hard to get a pup from them xx

It's not just to discourage the unreputable breeders, it's also because people want to make sure that in the long run, even if you have to wait a bit, you wont have to regret your choices. Maybe if there is a breeder on this forum you could send them a personal message with a link to the breeders website so they can have a look for you if that's okay by the rules for using this site.

As people have said, just because a breeder is 'KC' registered does not mean they are reputable. Many breeders breed out of standard and do not do health tests and let their pups go at six weeks and yet still have 'KC' papers for them because honestly, they're not that hard to get a hold of. We're just asking you to do your research so you don't get into having a puppy with horrible bite inhibition and health problems a couple years down the road :S