Going to get a Husky in March - Need breeder

Phallen

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I learned while searching for a reputable breeder (there are many more things, but these can help you in identifying a reputable one)

1. Asks more questions about you and your life than you ask about the puppies. This is to ensure that you are 'worthy' of providing their pup a home. They provide a lifetime of guidance and support!

2. They are fully prepared to take back any pup sold, should it not work out with the adopting family, for any reason, at any time throughout the pups life.

3. Reminds you that your wait for a pup could be a long one. Reputable breeders never breed out of greed.

4. One, or perhaps BOTH parents are on site and can be viewed and interacted with.

5. Has provided testing to their breeding pair for congenital diseases and conditions.

6. Encourages spay and neuter in pet quality pups. In fact, it's pretty rare for a pup to be purchased with breeding rights.

7. Often shows, trials and/or titles their dogs.

8. Provides companionship, affection, interaction and attention to dogs in their kennel. Offers nutritious food and fresh water, adequate shelter, immunizations, proper vet care, grooming, exercise and socialization to all in their kennels and provides parasite prevention.

A reputable breeder will NOT provide you with a puppy on demand. That would be the FIRST indication to back away from a breeder, IMHO.

Hey,

Sorry for the late reply. I though I would get notifications or something.

Here is my intro thread FYI - http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/48733-My-Lifestyle-suitable-for-a-husky

I have a breeder i've been speaking to since December and they are kennel club reg.

Hay - I saw your intro, but was aiming my comment at the post I quoted. I would like to add that people here are very very passionate about the breed. Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hey Ryan, you seem to be a little upset to the reaction you have attacted, you have to realise that when we're out with our beloved huskies you just can't imagine the amount of people who coo after your furkids and say that they used to have one but that didn't seem to last long as they didn't really know just what they were getting into - lots of people watch the films and see how beautiful they are but don't research their unique personalities that they have and are unwilling to cope with all of they're quirks and chastising when they are ticked off about something you may or may not have done. As anyone on here will tell you - they are not a normal dog and need special and understanding owners, although it is us who are owned by them rather than the other way round!