Thinking about agility

Bambi92

Hi all.

I'm thinking about attempting to train sasha in agility or flyball but im not sure if she will do it or she will be to scared of the course I only want to do it for fun as something to try and keep her focus on me and to keep us both active now my question is for those that have done agility with there dogs do you think she would be better off going to classes or just making a course for home for her to try? When around other dogs she goes into play mode and all she wants to do is play like a typical husky no matter how big or small the dog is and that's my worry if I put her in any form of class unless I put her in obedience classes first what do you think would be best for her to try first? She is obedient when she wants to be or when there's food or a bottle of strawberry milk around. I don't want to stress her out to much in trying to do this with her.

What was your dog like at first when they did it?

did they have any other form of training or go to other classes before doing agility? If so what were they in?

Any advice is much appreciated :)

i won't be doing this for a few months as she is having her surgery next week and I haven't got the money for anything after paying for it and depending on what comes of the surgery depends on when I think about starting it with her.

Sasha is about 4-5 this year I think anyway not exactly sure I'd only be doing it in my back yard which she can't get out of unless she digs (which to my surprise she doesn't) or someone lets her out so the off lead part I'm not worried about I don't think sasha would handle a competition with her anxiety problems that are still on going and I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of it either.

I wouldn't suggest agility prior to 18mos of age. As the jumping and landing are hard on growing joints. Obedience classes and competitions would be a good outlet and good to build a more solid foundation for agility which is off lead and often unfenced.

If you are interested in agility there are plenty of foundations you can build with pups and younger dogs and there are many agility classes out there that are aimed towards pups etc for this reason. Teaching contacts, focus and motivation, building drive etc are all really important things to train first.

Sasha is about 4-5 this year I think anyway not exactly sure I'd only be doing it in my back yard which she can't get out of unless she digs (which to my surprise she doesn't) or someone lets her out so the off lead part I'm not worried about I don't think sasha would handle a competition with her anxiety problems that are still on going and I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of it either.

Look around your area for beginners agility classes. A lot of people train agility for fun and never compete, there is a lot more to agility than just running your dog over some obstacles and it can be a great way to build your bond with your dog, as well as teaching them how to learn and giving them lots of mental stimulation. Definitely look around for some good beginners classes, and go and watch one to see if it would be something you'd enjoy :)