Help with feeding

JoJotoGo

I adopted a 3 yr old Siberian Husky last year and it has been a constant battle to get him to eat any kind of dry dog food on a regular basis. Can anyone tell me what dry food they feed their Husky. He likes most of the canned food I give him so that isnt an issue. Just the dry food. He is underweight and I am trying to fatten him up since he has heartworm and the vet wont do the procedure to rid them, until he has gained weight. He is currently 52lbs and she wants him to weigh 65lbs. He had the heartworm and parasites when we got him. He was also very under weight at about 45 lbs.

Thanks!

When I adopted my boy, it was a struggle to get him to eat dry dog food too (he would only eat the wet stuff.). Eventually, after trying a few different brands (Merrick, Iams, Purina, Blue Buffalo) and failing, I picked up Taste of the Wild. He's been eating that stuff ever since and he absolutely loves it.

TOTW is made in the USA, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. I use the pacific stream formula, but they have a whole bunch you can try. Buy the smallest package so if he doesn't like it you won't be out 70 bucks.

I adopted a 3 yr old Siberian Husky last year and it has been a constant battle to get him to eat any kind of dry dog food on a regular basis.

Most Huskies, mine for sure, often skip meals or only eat once a day. Are you free feeding him or schedule feeding? I feed my 3 EVO( http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo)

He is underweight and I am trying to fatten him up since he has heartworm and the vet wont do the procedure to rid them, until he has gained weight. He is currently 52lbs and she wants him to weigh 65lbs

By breed standards, he is at good weight @52lbs. I can only assume that she wants him @ 65lbs due the heartworm procedure. Are you doing the Immiticide (fast kill) treatment? If so,the dog must be kept confined and his physical exertion kept to an absolute minimum, and that would make sense why you are trying to get him to 65lbs.

I've learned that a dog will not starve themselves to death (unless the dog is very ill). He will eat when he gets hungry, trust me.

I've had no experience with heartworms, thank God, but I can tell you that my first husky (who lived to the ripe old age of 15 years - surviving a bout with parvo and a lung injury which caused him to catch pneumonia not once, but twice), ate once every three days his entire life.

He'd nibble at his food, a mouthful now - a mouthful tomorrow, but as far as eating an entire meal, it was honestly once every three days.

I tried everything to get him to eat, finally just admitting to myself that he wasn't going to starve himself. He was slight in weight for most of his life, though by the age of 11, began to put on weight and fill out. He'd been tested for everything imaginable and we found nothing, healthwise which contributed to his eating habits (or lack thereof). He just had great metabolism and had no need for meals closer together.

I fed him Taste of the Wild, bison formula. He enjoyed it, but there was honestly not a food that he would jump for joy over, unless it was human food (which he wasn't allowed).

I realize that the situations are far from similar, and I do encourage you to continue to follow your vets advice. I'm just letting you know that all huskies do not eat two square meals a day.

My current husky, now she's a totally different story. She will eat breakfast (raw chicken) and then run and tell her human daddy that I didn't feed her! She's such a little liar and very food motivated!

When I adopted my boy, it was a struggle to get him to eat dry dog food too (he would only eat the wet stuff.). Eventually, after trying a few different brands (Merrick, Iams, Purina, Blue Buffalo) and failing, I picked up Taste of the Wild. He's been eating that stuff ever since and he absolutely loves it.

TOTW is made in the USA, so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. I use the pacific stream formula, but they have a whole bunch you can try. Buy the smallest package so if he doesn't like it you won't be out 70 bucks.

70 bucks! eeek! Where do you buy yours?? I get it for 45 bucks for the 30lb bag. A few times I have been able to get it for 36.00 with discounts.

She's in Canada.....hence the huge price difference.

Perhaps we should start running TOTW across the border! LOL

I guess so! I know that the numbers used to be higher in Canada but I thought that these days it was pretty even, and the exchange rate is pretty much dollar for dollar. I don't know what kind of taxes there are, but here I get mine online and pay nothing for taxes and get free shipping. Usually I get the 30lb bag for about 45-48 dollars.

I guess so! I know that the numbers used to be higher in Canada but I thought that these days it was pretty even, and the exchange rate is pretty much dollar for dollar. I don't know what kind of taxes there are, but here I get mine online and pay nothing for taxes and get free shipping. Usually I get the 30lb bag for about 45-48 dollars.

I think the Canadian dollar is higher than the U.S dollar now, has been for quite some time now?

The $70 was before tax. :P

I guess the price is way higher than that in the states because it costs more money for them to transport it up here, atleast that's how I always thought of it, as well to cover tariff fees and such.

@Jason Schrader where do you usually order this from?

wag.com and chewy.com both offer 15% off your first order if you use auto-ship. You can set the intervals you want, and can cancel the auto ship anytime. I did that with one site and just went back and cancelled the auto ship after it was delivered.

Amazon.com sells it for $48.99 but no other discounts. Most of them are free shipping, but you have to spend a certain amount, usually 40 or 50 dollars.

I think the Canadian dollar is higher than the U.S dollar now, has been for quite some time now?

The $70 was before tax. :P

I guess the price is way higher than that in the states because it costs more money for them to transport it up here, atleast that's how I always thought of it, as well to cover tariff fees and such.

or it's because our economy is crap haha

I, too, feed Taste of the Wild. We use the Bison and Venison Formula (High Prairie, yellow bag). I am able to find it for $39 at our local Farm Supply store. Cans are $1.19 ea. (The petstore is $48/30 lb bag and $2.50 can)

Anywho, Diesel only nibbles in the morning when I feed him, and then eats more later in the evening.

I adopted a 3 yr old Siberian Husky last year and it has been a constant battle to get him to eat any kind of dry dog food on a regular basis. Can anyone tell me what dry food they feed their Husky. He likes most of the canned food I give him so that isnt an issue. Just the dry food. He is underweight and I am trying to fatten him up since he has heartworm and the vet wont do the procedure to rid them, until he has gained weight. He is currently 52lbs and she wants him to weigh 65lbs. He had the heartworm and parasites when we got him. He was also very under weight at about 45 lbs.

Thanks!

In the beginning my Siberian Husky also didnt ate dry dog food / kibble. So I switched over to barf/kvv(fresh raw meat) and he eats that. I bought Taste of the Wild and he eats that too sometimes through out the day besides raw meat.