Breeders and false claims

Julieanne

What is your opinion on people who breed and set up fancy websites which say they 'breed to improve the breed' (why no mention of health testing then), only breed purebred dogs (even though you have no papers) and don't like the idea of showing (I bet if their dogs were eligible and with a chance they would.

Where both in morals and from a legal point of view do you think they take these kind of claims too far?

They're called BYBs, or BackYard Breeders. They breed for the sake of money - they don't health test the parents before breeding to ensure the puppies won't develop any genetic conditions (costs too much for the testing), some even breed very closely related dogs with each other (ie: father and daughter). From what I've heard, they don't go to shows/events or even care about bettering the breed - all they care about is lining their wallet.

I don't think BYBs are illegal anywhere, unfortunately, so the most they can be pegged for is false advertising. And, even then, legal action isn't taken because the majority of the time the owners of the puppies either don't know, or don't care, that they got their puppy from a BYB. Sad, sad world we live in.

I completely agree. Well, except for the showing part. Several people who are very active on the UK show scene are members on another forum and I've had the misfortune of their (virtual) company. I'd totally understand if people who breed didn't want to be involve with that gaggle of expletives.

But yeah, on the whole BYB's are a terrible thing.

Edited by Mazz

I bought Diesel from a reputable breeder, they aren't breeding anymore, but were there for me when I had questions about him. They recommended vets, food, crates, etc. When I wanted a puppy, there was a waiting period, deposit, etc. They asked me about my home, what my yard was like, if I had ever been around big dogs before. I signed a contract that said I would return him to them if I could no longer take care of him, and to also give him the best care possible.

My cousin, on the other hand, is a Backyard Breeder. He has a 1/2 Husky (I am assuming it is mixed with Mal or something equally as fuzzy or fuzzier...I almost want to say Chow) and breeds it with a female husky whom he bought from Craigslist. They have no papers, etc. Whenever he is selling puppies (at Christmas this year, the first thing he said to my husband was "I am selling puppies like hot cakes"...not even "hello" or "How are you"...it was all about his hot cake puppies), I never tell friends or other people that he is selling puppies...especially when he claims he has no money to feed them. I know there are far worse people out there than him, but c'mon. He claims his puppies are 100% husky and has ads in the papers and craigslist. He is in it merely for the money (which disgusts me), selling his puppies at $400-$500...if he really cared about the breed, he'd get his male and female vet checked and DNA done to assure his male is 100% husky and stop "littering" as we call it.