digestive issues

pauline_d

Hi everybody,

Alaska has had digestive issue the last couple of days, every time I take him out he has diarrhea, more water than anything. I went to the vet the other to check him out, everything was fine, he is 30 kg, but he is really big, I also think he lost weight.... the thing is Alaska is so picky with his food, I currently feed him with Purina one, but he only eats the meat bits, so I bought him Purina One with only meats beat but again, he doesnt eat that much, and normally a transaction should be made with food, but he will only eat his new food, and not the previous one.... I can't remember where I read it but apparently pumpkin is good? I start to worry a little bit about this diarrhea issue and the fact that he really doesn't eat that much :( otherwise no other sign of being ill, he looks fine other than that ...

Any good idea would be much appreciated ! otherwise back to the vet !

Edited by pauline_d

Huskies have very sensitive stomachs, so if you change his food all of a sudden he will get the runs. I had to find a grain free food, like Taste of the Wild. If you switch food, even different formulas from the same brand, you have to do it over a 1-2 week period. It could also be treats he is getting as well. From your post I would guess it is the food that is doing it. Overfeeding will give them the runs too.

Giving him a spoonful or two of pumpkin will firm it up. Also I would put him on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken for a few days until he gets better. Then gradually switch him to a grain free diet.

So my suggestion is to give him the bland diet (don’t overcook the rice!), and some canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling!! Pure pumpkin!) for a few days, and then switch him to a higher quality grain-free food. If he still has the runs after a couple of weeks on the new food, or if he starts being lethargic in anyway see a vet.

Both of mine had the runs for the first few months until I perfected their diet

Huskies have very sensitive stomachs, so if you change his food all of a sudden he will get the runs. I had to find a grain free food, like Taste of the Wild. If you switch food, even different formulas from the same brand, you have to do it over a 1-2 week period. It could also be treats he is getting as well. From your post I would guess it is the food that is doing it. Overfeeding will give them the runs too.

Giving him a spoonful or two of pumpkin will firm it up. Also I would put him on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken for a few days until he gets better. Then gradually switch him to a grain free diet.

So my suggestion is to give him the bland diet (don’t overcook the rice!), and some canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling!! Pure pumpkin!) for a few days, and then switch him to a higher quality grain-free food. If he still has the runs after a couple of weeks on the new food, or if he starts being lethargic in anyway see a vet.

Both of mine had the runs for the first few months until I perfected their diet

thank you very much for all your advices... I am going to do that then. I really think that its to do with the food he is eating. But he definitely doesn't eat enough from my opinion, not even a bole of food a day. Actually I tried to give him rice once but he left it, I would only eat the chicken. I will get some pumpkin tomorrow as well. thanks