Hey Guys I'm new and need help with my husky! URGENT!

Kelley

Hey guys :)

My name is Kelley,

I was just seeing if someone can give me advice on my 7 and a half week old siberian husky?

He just won't stop biting!

I have literally tried everything!

Spraying him in the face with water (until I found out that it could make him afraid of water) then tried tapping him on the nose and saying no! in a firm voice and then ignoring him but nothing seems to be really working!

Does anybody have anymore tips that i could use?

I know you really need patience with a puppy but I have tried my best and now it's just getting on my last nerve...

If somebody could help me that would be brilliant!

Thanks

Kelley :)

Hi and welcome. Ideally puppies are not released until about 8 weeks so they get a chance to build up a respect for biting with it's siblings / mother, who will tell it off. Do you make a noise to let her know it hurts? This works with older dogs, but I'm not sure about with a pup. Good luck.

Hi and welcome. Ideally puppies are not released until about 8 weeks so they get a chance to build up a respect for biting with it's siblings / mother, who will tell it off. Do you make a noise to let her know it hurts? This works with older dogs, but I'm not sure about with a pup. Good luck.

Well I have tried yelping but he doesn't seem to stop.

I heard if you yelp really loud it is suppose to resemble his siblings yelping if he bites too hard.

I'm afraid it's a part of puppy ownership. Fenrir is 14 weeks and still bites and mouths. He's getting better though.

If your puppy is in a bitey mood give him a chew toy of some sort. If he's biting you then stop what your doing stand up and leave the room so he learns that he doesn't get attention for biting and anything fun stops. Also squeal loudly when he bites, this should be loud enough to give him a shock and make him stop, doesn't work with all puppies though. I wouldn't spray with water or hit him as that can just wind them up and make them bite more. When I really lose my rag with Fenrir and his biting I end up shouting "NO BITE!" at him in a very loud and low voice, which usually sends him running scared.

Good luck :)

You cannot punish an infant; they don't know what they have done wrong, and by all means, a puppy that young is an infant. It is possible that he was taken away from the litter before learning bite inhibition, so simply doesn't understand that biting hurts. When he gets mouthy, squeal like it hurts terribly when he bites down, and when he first puts his mouth on you, try to replace your hand with a toy. DO NOT YELL OR USE POSITIVE PUNISHMENT METHODS, it has been proven those methods do not work, and can actually harm the bond you have with your dog.

. post-8127-13586090323499_thumb.jpg

Ideally the pup should have stayed with its littermates until 8 to 12 weeks of age. The period from 6 to 12 weeks is the age when pups learn bite inhabition from its mates and parent.

The old 'switch attention and trade' trick will help you. When pup begins to bite/nip gain their attention through the use of a chew type toy - a nylabone, puppy kong or something similar. Then 'trade' your hand for the toy.

I also agree with using a sharp sound (ie: yelp) which is what mates would do, will go far in your training.

All good, sound advice. A little bit of perseverance and understanding goes a long way with a husky pup. I am in my 5th month with 3 of them so I think I know a little bit but still learning as well. I don't think we will ever completely understand the mind of a husky. Good luck and give him some time. He will eventually come round and he'll love you all the more for it.

Gary.

I experienced a similar problem as far as my dog chewing on the wrong thing. I basically did what everyone is saying. My dog would constantly chew up my childrens toys, so when I would catch her grab one, I would take the toy from her, tell her no, then give her something she was allowed to chew on, such as a toy, or rawhide. She no longer chews on toys. But mind you, it does take time. It took 3 1.2 months to break my dog of chewing the wrong items.