huskypup with diarrhea for 2 weeks please help..

justin82

hi guys im new to the forum, i have a 4 month old husky pup that has had diarrhea for 2 weeks now and am running out of ideas of ways to stop it..

first off shes had regular worming with drontal plus and been feeding her wainwrights lamb and rice kible. i decided at first giving her rice and minced beef for 3-4 days but no improvment so i took her to the vets who put her on a 5 day course of antirobe (clindamycin) which she is on her last day of with no improvement so im getting worried.

after reading about antirobe i can see its indicated for dental/bones/skin/wound infections because it has a very narrow range of bacteria that it kills and nothing mentioned about gut infections, has anyone else had this prescribed for the same treatment or has the vet messed up? i would of guessed that metronidale is the main drug to be prescribed?

any help would be appreciated, im also very interested in the raw diet but wanted to sort this problem out first im sure this antibioics are useless...

Hi, welcome to forum :). My Shadow had diorreah while i had him on the fish and rice flavor james wellbeloved, i was told to steer clear of lamb or beef flavours as their too rich for there sensitive digestive system when their pups. (obviously fish one was to rich aswell) I then swapped to turkey as its much milder, he gets either wainwrights turkey and rice or james wellbeloved turkey and rice, that seemed to clear him up fast. Hope this helps!

Hi, I had used Wainwrights Turkey and Rice with other dogs, but my husky never got used to it - changed to Arden Grange Chicken and Rice, and he never looked back on this, so switched my Collie-X to the same. What ever you change to, stick with that food for a good while to give it a chance, as huskies do take a while to settle on a new diet. Antibiotics do upset the digestion as well for a while. Good luck.

Fish and chicken are the best varieties as already mentioned. Potato instead of rice might be worth a shot as some dogs are intolerant to rice. Wainwrights salmon and potato might be good. Ice has been prescribed metronadizole/amoxycillin and something else beginning with the letter D but I forgot the name when he got really bad. To be fair He's had the runs to varying degrees almost constantly for the first 6 months we had him. We tried chappie tins in the end and oddly it worked well. Don't get why but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, lol.

Pro kaolin paste can work wonders but is a little bit pricey. Can get it from vets or online (got mine on amazon).

Edited by emma1979

thanks, i may try some other kibble even though i have a massive bag of lamb and rice ive just opened haha... she seems happy enough and is still putting on weight even though i think she is small but vet said she is not underweight.

still dont understand why he prescriped antirobe (clindamycin) for her. cant see any information that its indicated for gut infections

Just a thought - if she's putting weight on and is not underweight, have you tried cutting her food back slightly? Huskies do have very efficient metabolisms, so do not need as much as other breeds. If overfed, they will go loose.

as hard as it is huskies really do eat small amounts. Luka only eats 2 cups right now and he's 10 months old

2 cups seems like not alot at all? how much is in 1 cup exactly? maybe im trying to overfeed her then because people have said shes fairly small for her age

how much should i be feeding a 4 month old?

Huskies usually eat slightly less than the recommended amount printed on the dog food bags. 2 cups (depending on the size of the cup) is actually a decent amount for an older pup/adult. They really dont eat that much. Too much food can give them the runs.

2 cups seems like not alot at all? how much is in 1 cup exactly? maybe im trying to overfeed her then because people have said shes fairly small for her age

how much should i be feeding a 4 month old?

i had a hard time getting used to the smaller amounts of food. I felt like i wasn't feeding him enough but Luka had such a sensitive stomach if i gave him even a little bit extra it would make his stools runny.

A cup is 8 ounces. However, There is not an international agreement on the the standard size of an actual cup. Thus the volumes range between (200 — 250 ml) in the metric system.

Every dog varies but around 4 months I think Luka was only getting around 1 1/2 cups..

If you can get to pets at home, they should have some measuring cups amongst the wainwright stuff. I know you're about to change brands but the cup could prove useful, we've got several! (can't resist a freebie! Lol).

My beau had this prob. After trying everything possible we went to the vets who gave us special food that is gentle and a paste that settled the gut .formed the poop andboosted the tummy good bacteria. She had a good week of this and we slowly sprinkled her normal food in over two months till she was off special food.

We also found that treats and anything chicken caused soft poop so avoid it. Only treats she can tolerate are her food and carrots .

Take your time introducing new food . Even different flavours can cause problems. We r now feeding her James wellbeloved after trying different brands. Good luck and keep us informed.

My beau had this prob. After trying everything possible we went to the vets who gave us special food that is gentle and a paste that settled the gut .formed the poop andboosted the tummy good bacteria. She had a good week of this and we slowly sprinkled her normal food in over two months till she was off special food.

We also found that treats and anything chicken caused soft poop so avoid it. Only treats she can tolerate are her food and carrots .

Take your time introducing new food . Even different flavours can cause problems. We r now feeding her James wellbeloved after trying different brands. Good luck and keep us informed.

as mentioned, over feeding could be a cause.  Work out what percentage of the ideal adult weight you are feeding.  If it is more than 2.5%, try reducing it.  I ended up feeding the raw diet as Niber always had bad guts - and it sorted him straight away.  Even with raw though, lamb should be introduced slowly and later on as it is rich, so it could be the lamb.  Try putting a raw chicken wing or leg, with bone in one or two meals a day.  It will help settle the gut and also the high calcium content really firms up their stools.  Niber is purely raw fed and s**ts bullets.  It used to come out like water...  good luck

• 2 weeks later...

My sib Shadow had a lot of trouble with this until we changed to hypoallergenic food. We stopped the kibble and fed him on boiled rice and chicken for two days and slowly introduced the new food. Highly recommend Orijen, Taste of the Wild and Hills natures best. All food is grain free and helps with digestion. A vet recommended that we cut down on walking (we were covering 8-10kms/day), as this will help harden the stool.

• 4 weeks later...

ive been cutting her food right down and its alot better , its not perfect but going to maybe try a different food now withour rice, maybe the salmon and potato wainwrights?

Overfeeding is the most common cause of the squits in pups. Unfortunately too many vets simply reach for the antibiotics as a first response, which can sometimes make the problem worse. If she's better on less food, I would keep her on the existing food (changing food can sometimes cause digestive problems) and give her a couple of raw chicken wings each day with one of her feeds. They usually sort them out in no time!