Advice Etc

nealios1987

Hi all

this is only my second post , I'm researching whether or not to get a puppy , I have ordered some books from amazon and have been looking at

everything possible on the net , I have found a local club that i'm going to attend randomly to get advice also its called g.o.b.s.h.i.t.e ha ha funny name , they are a husky club in the north east , hopefully if I tag along to a dog walking club with no dog they wont think Im too weird , (not owning a dog) .. basically ever since I was a child

I have loved the look and the mysterious lifestyle of wolves , I have had dogs before and kept bids of prey , Im just working out whether im up for a huskey , I was either going to go for a puppy ( 8 weeks old) or an older rescue dog , the only snag is I have kids and don't want a untrusty dog around the house.

I have been round all the pet shops in my area , one turned me away saying huskey was a silly breed for someone with children , even though im just starting , I believe this to be untrue as I have saw numerous huskies on youtube and various sited with kids etc etc ..... what would everyone else do ... bit of a long post I know

nealios

A pet shop is the worst place to look, if you want a puppy look on the AKC,KC,ANKC etc website (depending on where you live) and look for a breeder there.

Most people would say huskies are fine with children.

I'm sure the people on this site will be able to inform you of other things to consider as well before getting a husky who have a lot of experience.

Huskies are a wonderful breed, and the pet shop's comments on it not being a suitable breed for a family with small children is ludicrous.  No dog, regardless of breed, should be left unsupervised with children, that is just common sense.  Strange comment for them to make singling out the husky  .........

Anyway I digress, the husky is the perfect dog for an active family, they are also perfect for the family that wants to involve them in everything they do.  They are very much a pack animal and like to be with their family and interact with them all the time.  They do not do well left outside on their own - that is when they get either destructive, or try and get out by either jumping or digging their way out.

I personally would look into getting a rescue.  There are so many huskies in rescue, I am sure you will be able to get one that will be perfect for your family.  Depending on the rescue, you and your family will be able to meet with the husky for a walk and see how he or she interacts with your family.  

They are not an easy breed to own, but nothing in life worth having is .............. 

Good luck, i wish you well with your decision :)

huskies are fine with children ive got 2 huskies and they get on great with my 2 children, my 9 month old husky even likes to clean my 8 year old ( shes a strange pup bless her  lol ) 

but lots of people have huskies and children together no problems at all.

as already said your better off looking for a registered breeder rather than in a pet shop ive heard so many horror stories of puppies brought in pet shops xx

As everyone has already said, there's no reason that a Husky shouldn't get along with kids unless they're raised that way. Huskies are very people friendly in my experience. Obviously, as said, you should never leave a dog unsupervised around your children and/or other pets. Niko was raised around many cats and gets along just fine with them. He's never even attempted to harm a stray because of his feline brethren.But that's slightly off topic. Just letting you know that with training, your Husky could get along with anything.

Getting a puppy from a reputable breeder will be much much better - stay clear of pet shops that sell pups - these are likely to have a lot of issues and you may have issues with them and kids (unsure)

If getting a rescue get as much info as you can as you won't know the background.

A few things to think about if looking at getting a husky:

• What food they eat - they don't normally tolerate wheat / corn based foods too well and don't need as much as you think they might 
  • They can't be let off the lead - they have a high prey drive and a great desire to RUN 
  • They shed / blow their coats twice a year - you can brush for 5 mins and fill 2 carrier bags so be prepared for every item of clothing to be covered lol

I'll echo what othrs have already said. Husky's are great dogs! They do DEMAND time and patience...but if you have time for them you will be rewarded every minute of your life!

I also recommend checking shelters and rescues. There are alot of great Husky's out there waiting on a second chance. As you you make your decision please consider the financial responsibilty a large active dog requires!

Good Luck and we are always here for advice!! :D

I honestly wouldn't pick any other breed than my huskies :) As for the children, as has been mentioned before, as long as they're introduced correctly, I don't see why any dog wouldn't like kids. The dogs (I say dogs here, not just huskies) that do have had a bad experience and even then, they can always be reintroduced and learn to love them. Nikita has an unhealthy obsession with children. Ok, maybe it isn't unhealthy, but it's weird! If she sees any child under the age of like 10, she sits and wags her tail and will not move until she's allowed to say hello. LOVES kids. Loki tends to be the same way but since he's still a baby and is getting used to self-control, kids have a harder time wanting to see him lol

Definitely agree with the petshop opinion though. Like Sarah said, they could have all sorts of problems and if something goes wrong, you have to rely on the petshop to get information that may not always be accurate, rather than have the direct contact with the breeder. We got Loki from a petshop and although we love him to death, he had (and still has) some major issues including seizures, intestinal parasites, separation anxiety, fear of enclosed spaces (claustrophobia?), etc. Two months and $2800 later and I think we've finally worked out all the kinks.