Barking At Neighbours From Garden!

siberian_wolf

We have new neighbours moving in to next door and from our garden you can see theirs over the fence. They were there today and they have a young child and Gizmo saw them from our garden and started barking at them! I went and bought them all indoors. I can't allow the barking to continue and get worse so I want to stop him doing this before it gets out of hand. We would like to have a good relationship with our neighbours, not scare them, especially the child! Anyone got any tips on what I can do to stop him barking at the neighbours?

My solution would be to teach 'quiet'. At least that's what we did with Niko. XD If you can figure out how to get him to bark at something inside, praise him for barking and then tell him 'quiet'. If, IF he listens, praise right away, then make him stay quiet longer, and so on. I'm sure you know how to train. If he continues to bark after 'quiet' say the command way louder, just enough to shock him out of barking, and then praise. :3

Niko barks when someone knocks at the door, but listens to the quiet command. XD Good luck!

My solution would be to teach 'quiet'. At least that's what we did with Niko. XD If you can figure out how to get him to bark at something inside, praise him for barking and then tell him 'quiet'. If, IF he listens, praise right away, then make him stay quiet longer, and so on. I'm sure you know how to train. If he continues to bark after 'quiet' say the command way louder, just enough to shock him out of barking, and then praise. :3 Niko barks when someone knocks at the door, but listens to the quiet command. XD Good luck!
I can kinda see what you mean there but surely, IMO, praising him for barking could make it confusing to the dog when you then praise him for being quiet?

yeah, meeting would help.  But bark?  Husky?  Never heard mine bark.  Would be nice sometimes.  Also meeting would help your neighbours feel comfortable - I should think it's quite daunting if you don't know huskies - the little 'un would love it if they're anything like my kids

I Was also going to suggest getting the neighbours to meet The pack.

Invite them around to get to know all the dogs.

Then with prolonged exposure Gizmo won't be so excited to see the new people.

could you higher the fence, yes it's great to let them meet the neighbours but you don't know them your self yet. you need to know what their like before getting to know the boys. Odin barks alot if he hears some thing, i've always got them straight in when they start and they know it so stop when i go out xxxxxx

could you higher the fence, yes it's great to let them meet the neighbours but you don't know them your self yet. you need to know what their like before getting to know the boys. Odin barks alot if he hears some thing, i've always got them straight in when they start and they know it so stop when i go out xxxxxx
I would make the fence higher but landlord won't allow it. Neighbours haven't fully moved in yet and since the snow they haven't been around since but when I see them next I think I'm gonna introduce myself and just let them know about our boys and then if gizmo starts barking at them I'm Going to lead him indoors for a bit. That's as long as the neighbours are ok, kinda hoping they understand dogs

I can kinda see what you mean there but surely, IMO, praising him for barking could make it confusing to the dog when you then praise him for being quiet?

Well the way I was looking at it is as two separate commands. Sort of a protection command if you will. Niko barks at the door every time there is a knock or even sometimes if there's a wild animal outside. We don't want him to stop that so we praise him for the barking and then he knows quiet basically means 'You've let us know.' and he settles down and stops barking. He's seeing quiet as just another command, like speak, or shake. XD Make sense? I got the inspiration from the 'take it' and 'leave it' commands. Then again, I could be completely wrong and if I am, please let me know. I'd hate to be doing something that's hurtful rather than helpful.