Mouthing/biting..

KBS

Bo is 14 weeks old and has started to mouth or nip me. I have tried to shout OW or Stop but it seems to make her more excited and lunges at me again.

If she is on the sofa with me when she does it, I put her on the floor and ignore her but when she's in her excitable mode she just keeps jumping at me and trying to carrying and mouth/bite me.

What should I do? I have watched various tips on videos on YouTube etc and some say to walk out of the room or to put the dog out of the room and others say just to ignore her and she'll get bored of it.

I just don't want her a fully grown adult and still thinking that she can bite or is this just a puppy stage that Huskies go through?

Many thanks, K.

It is a puppy stage, but there are a few things you can do to help.  You are right in ignoring her when she starts to nip.  Also yelling OW or NO loudly works sometimes too.  Another thing is if she starts biting, then replace your hand with a toy.  She is teething so she will want to bite more.  I would give mine a kong filled with peanut butter.  You can put it in the freezer for a few hours so it's nice and cold for her.  I also would take an old wash cloth, get it really wet and freeze it.  Mine would chew on it for a long time.  

They do grow out of it, but it can be several months.  Nikko still gets mouthy when he is excited and playing, you just have to teach them young that biting people is not acceptable. 

Ozzy was a monster biter as a puppy, the only advice I can give is to be consistent with the NO, or whatever command or action you decide on, and everyone in the family must follow the same rules, it won't help if one person allows it to continue.  We found that if he didn't listen after the second NO, he would go into time out - sounds awful, but we put him in the bathroom for 1 minute and closed the door.  It did the trick, but be warned, you will feel worse than they do.

Micah is now just over three years old, and she on occasion, can be a real witch - just the mention of a time out in the bathroom is enough to get her to stop whatever she is up to - usually being aggressive towards Ozzy.

We have a 15 week old husky and he is a nipper, some things that we learned at puppy class introductions last night is to pick ONE command that will mean not to bite and make it as short as possible such as no, or no bite, no mouth, etc. say that command as soon as they mouth and if they stop praise them if not say it one more time and then if that is not working at all, ignore them. Sometimes you have to completely walk out of the room, however, they said that you say no bite, not mouth whatever the command is and then leave the room or ignore him. However, you have half a second to a second to praise or correct or your puppy will mistake it for being praised because he was standing or being corrected for coming to you (whatever the case may be), so as soon as the dog nips say your command and if they stop and do the behavior you want praise, if that does not help leave the room and ignore them.

I honestly think every husky is different. My 4 year old, Was very mouthy until he was 1. Nothing was going to change his mind. He still gets very mouthy and bites a little harder than I would like during rough play time. Cheyanne, who is about to turn 10 weeks. I have her stopped with a very firm no. I allow her to gently hold onto my finger. It comes her down. But if she bites me , I pick her up and yell no. If it continues. I walk right away from he and give her no attention. It is working. I reward with treats too!

Like everyone before me said and will always say, Huskys are naturally mouthy dogs.