Collars & Booties?

RaineShadow

So I have a little mushing-type question. I've been looking at gear on Alpine Outfitters' website and I thought up a couple of questions:

1. Do you switch out the dog(s) collar(s) when they're in harness? I know that you're supposed to keep a collar on them, but do you use their regular, everyday collar or do they have a special (perhaps without jingling tags lol) collar that they wear while they're in harness?

2. What's the opinion on booties? We're thinking about getting Loki a set since he has more sensitive feet, but I was wondering if anyone uses them while running or hiking or anything like that? Would they be beneficial to both dogs or should I even both with a set for Nikita?

Thanks! :)

Also, what are some other good working dog gear sites? Preferably not import (I'm in the US). I like ManMat's style and I've heard excellent things, but I believe they're only in Europe? As mentioned earlier, I've been on Alpine Outfitters and I've heard great things there, too, but I would love to be able to see more variety! :)

One of the best sites to find all things mushing is sleddogcentral.com

Collars I like ones with a LARGE ring for ease of hooking the neck lines in gloves.  We use Taiga Collars, and with the exception of the show dogs I keep those on the dogs all the time

Booties, I do not use them unless there are icy conditions or sand/rock exposure.  Most Siberians have naturally rugged feet and working on keeping them tough keeps the need to run booties down which of course lowers your expense as they don't always last a full season.

Thank you!! Definitely looking around that website. I see why you like those collars. They're a lot like the Full Circle collars that Alpine Outfitters has, with the big O ring (basically the same, just missing the Taiga label), which I was looking into when I asked haha.

I'll have to remember that about the booties. Apparently it doesn't snow around here except every few years (I'm in Virginia, originally from Washington), which is disappointing, but it does tend to ice up where I'm at. I'll just have to keep an eye out and see where we take the pups.

I use a limited slip collar from dogbooties.com (it came in the mail yesterday) and I love it! Especially the big ring, it makes it so much easier to find and it also means that the clasp has a smaller chance of accidentally opening and falling off. We tested it out last night at a dog gathering and also when I hooked Phoenix up to our new bike and took him for a run.

As for booties, I have been thinking of getting some of them as well, for now though and because Phoenix's pads are a bit dry and cracked we have started to use Musher's Secret and after only two applications there has been a big improvement.

post-8923-0-28718400-1359082308_thumb.jp

post-8923-0-78753500-1359082528_thumb.jp