Dog Food Options

CARRINGTON

So my dog is biting at his tails, paws and itches all the time. I have checked and checked for fleas, flea treated him and I still do not see any fleas. However, he keeps itching sometimes he rubs his face on the ground. We take him to the vet tonight and are going to ask if there is anything else we can try besides Science Diet. I know huskies can have problems to wheat and corn (both are in science diet) but I am not sure of any other foods out there that would be good for him. Any suggestions would help

raw?  N|iber used to itch a lot and we were worried about fleas.  Chaned him to raw for various reasons, that not being one, but come to think of it, having read this, he never itches anymore.  Certainly no added stuff in it that they shouldn't be getting.

Taste Of The Wild (TOTW). Grain, Soy, Wheat free. We feed our dogs TOTW. We used to feed them Diamond, which is also Grain, Soy, Wheat free.

It could just be dry skin as well that's making him itch.

If it is dry skin is there anything we can do to help him? baths, creams, etc

First of all, I would get him off of that Science Hill diet. To be very blunt, its a piece of crap food.

My boy is on Taste of the Wild (Salmon formula). His skin is healthy and supple, and he has a shiny and healthy coat. TOTW is grain-free.

Acana is also a very good brand; also grain-free.

After you switch him to a better food (if you don't know what to look for in food according to the ingredients, let us know and we'll help!), wait a week or so. If he's still itching, then I'm sure there are special dog shampoos you can buy?

Edited by SolitaryHowl

When you change over, don't go cold turkey. You want to make the change over a minimum of seven days to ten days, gradually shifting the balance of food from the Hills to the TOTW. Also, don't feed the amount listed on the bag, it will be way too much food. We feed ours 1 cup in the morning and one cup in the evening.

I think we will try taste of the wild. What is everyones favorite flavor?

Suka's currently on the Pacific Stream formula, though he was on the Prairie one for awhile and he loved it too. I just find the fish one is better for his aging joints. :)

Like somebody else said, change the food over gradually...if you go 'cold turkey' he will get an upset stomach and he'll get the runs.

We tried lots of different foods with Nush and Koda.  Mainly because Nush has a really sensitive stomach and most foods give her the runs.

We have used Burgess Supadog Sensitive (Scottsih Salmon & Rice) and its been great, they love it, they dont get the runs, there coats are reallly good.

We also mix in some Butchers Tripe to give them a bit more taste. Again, they love this.