Running Dogs And Play???

Osinn11

Here's whats going on:

While out on walks I like to let the dogs run on leash and I run behind them. I always have Ace on the left Cj on the right. Most often when I give them the command to run Cj goes after Ace. It seems to be playful...but it really throws things off.  

Any advice???

This can be due to over excitement or even insecure stress reaction.  Is it play or is it something else you are seeing?  It may be as simple as your pup being unsure of the expectations and doesn't know how to properly channel that anxiety.  It may just be needing more practice, you may need to work more individually with each pup before working them together....

It seems to be playful. Cj always wants to play with Ace...especially while running. He doesn't seem to care for it and tries to run away from her. Occasionally he will snap back at her, and I haven't determined whether it's playful or not.

I need to add that this doesn't always happen when we first start running. It can happen after we've been going for a minute as well. Currently we just run short distances. I run with them attached to my walking belt on lead. They have little to no training using just voice commands.

I'm pretty much at square one. Not alot of control...dogs wander while running. (I call this the "V")  They do know "easy" and "wait" so I can slow them down and make them stop....the rest is a different story. My personal favorite: The Sudden STOP!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, welcome to my world. Usually I walk mine one at a time to improve training and bonding with me, but today I tried them on a walk together. Cloud became infatuated with his leash and just kept attacking it throughout the walk. Yuki did really well though, stayed focused the entire time :)

Edit - that seemed a bit pointless. Lol I should've added perhaps try to walk them one at a time to improve commands alone although not sure if that'll help or not as mine seem to have a different mindset when together anyway xP

I've thought about working with them individually. Maybe I need to try that. I really would like them to work together as a team any time we are out.

Last night was a really foggy night! I can't even describe how possessed my Huskys were during last night walk! Arrrghhh!