Husky Heeling

CARRINGTON

Ok, so we went to puppy classes without Balto to get an introduction to the class and see if this would be a fit for us. They also use the NILIF program while altering some aspects. However, one thing they want the puppies to be able to do at the end of the classes before they can get their certificate by the AKC is to heel and walk at your side on a leash. I feel as if this will be extremely impossible with Balto since he LOVES (I do not think I can emphasize LOVE to this extent) but loves to be out in front. It kind of reminds me that he is out in front of the sled team kind of thing. So is heeling realistic for a husky or having them walk at your side? If so how did you get your dogs to do it? post-9206-0-38608500-1359128266_thumb.jp

My little one currently walks directly behind me on her leash. She's not real good with being at my side, it's like she gets confused. But if I let the leash out she will run into the grass and pretty much go nuts. She's still really little though so I'm not sure if she'll keep up with the walking behind me business. There is a husky in my neighborhood who always walks at the side of her owner, so it must be possible! The problem I have right now is that my puppy wants to RUN! and JUMP! 

It’s actually very easy to do.  First thing I recommend is a training (pinch) collar.  I know many people don’t like the collars but I use them on every walk.   My trainer actually recommended it to me. 

Nikko listens better than Yukon does, and he will walk right beside me the entire walk.  When I stop, he will automatically sit.  You have to keep saying “heal†and when you begin you start out with your left foot (if your pup is walking to your left).  We taught them by holding a treat in front of them while you are walking, but the class will guide you through it.

Anyway, it is one of the easier things I taught them, besides sit.  They can also be taught to pull, and to know when they can and cannot do it.  I think if you use a harness that makes them want to pull, which is in their blood.

It’s actually very easy to do.  First thing I recommend is a training (pinch) collar.  I know many people don’t like the collars but I use them on every walk.   My trainer actually recommended it to me. 

Nikko listens better than Yukon does, and he will walk right beside me the entire walk.  When I stop, he will automatically sit.  You have to keep saying “heal†and when you begin you start out with your left foot (if your pup is walking to your left).  We taught them by holding a treat in front of them while you are walking, but the class will guide you through it.

Anyway, it is one of the easier things I taught them, besides sit.  They can also be taught to pull, and to know when they can and cannot do it.  I think if you use a harness that makes them want to pull, which is in their blood.

Is the collar that you are talking about metal like ones with (not really spikes) but have parts that stick out in the front around the throat of the dog? That is what our trainer told us to try with our husky once he is about 6 months. They also have us a TON of papers and one was heeling and it showed all the foot work to do so your dog knows when to stop, stay, walk, etc. I just didn't know if it was natural for a husky to want to be out front and in the lead. We were thinking about getting a harness so we can get one of those things you stick in the ground so we can let him outside for a while to tire himself out as well as so I can get ready for school (plus we rent so our yard isn't fenced in) and we he can wiggle out of his collar is tries hard enough (so we would only use the harness then.

Yes, it is possible.

My boy is trained to walk loose-leash although he doesn't quite walk beside me - he likes being out in front and it doesn't bother me. But sometimes he decides to be a jackass and pull like a steamtrain!

I use a martingale collar, and whenever he started to pull I would jerk/snap the collar to the SIDE (very important, so it doesn't hurt their throat). Eventually, he got the message. Now, its only very light corrections, and I really only snap it hard when he is being a complete jerk.

Ok we will have to look into the different kinds of collars and make a judgment call as to which one would be the best fit for him, his learning style, and which he is more responsive to. When we went to puppy classes last night almost all of the older dogs there had on a metal looking collar with spike like things that stick out but move also. It is not supposed to hurt them (I would never want anything that would hurt either one of my babies) but they recommend that and that is what many others had and also recommended.

I've had all 3 ov my dogs walking to heel the past couple ov weeks , I use a non pull harness on one as he's older, but a puppy will be easier to train I'd just stop n pull him (gently) back to my side n wait then keep walking if he pulled I then stopped n pulled him back , it took a while but now he walks lovely Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

We will have to try that. I just want him to pass his puppy classes, and it seems that everything they are wanting to teach are things Balto needs to learn and it seems he will never learn it. Granted I am extremely impatient at times. Some more then others, but generally impatient, especially in the mornings when I am trying to get ready for school and he is chasing the cat and getting on furniture and everything he is NOT supposed to do, while I am trying to make sure I make it to my college classes on time. I even wake up an hour to 2 hours earlier then I normally would to get ready for my classes so I can walk him, feed him, take him out, let him play and be out of his crate for a long time. So hopefully classes and A LOT of work will help. I am a perfectionist so I want my homework and study skills for college to be perfect (so he is kind of like homework, you may have to work on it a long time to solve the problem or write the paper but in the end it will be perfect!!!) kind of there are always faults

Its a simple thing in my experience. Might not be the same for all huskies though. You've got to think, why is the dog pulling/walking in front. Chances are (with Huskies ingrained love of travel) that its because they reeeeally want to get where youre going, and then to the next place, and the next place and so on. They want to explore. They love travelling so much that they cant help but walkwalkwalk. So the easiest way to stop them walking in a way that you do not want, is to stop walking. They will soon learn that they walk the way you tell them to or they dont get to do all this fun travelling and exploring. No need for any sort of pull back n my opinion. Just get a bungee lead or attachment. When they put tension on the lead out in front of you, stop dead. Make them sit, when theyre calm - carry on walking. Repeat if neccesary. As Nix says, its easier with a puppy because of course, theyre not as strong. If this isnt working after say three times in one instance, then as Storm said - change direction. What I do is, when there is too much tension on the lead (theyre pulling too much), let go of the rest of the lead and quickly change direction. While holding on to the very end of the lead of course. Walking to heel, you'll probably be holding the lead at half length. When the dog hits the end of the lead, you'll be walking in the opposite direction. They'll be stopped at the furthest pont away from you while on the lead possible. This means that they will only have a negative connotation with being this far away from you on the lead, not right by your side/just infront of you as they would if you start yanking the lead back. :) It worked for Qilaq, and I know that Stacey has had positive results with this or similar techniques. Might not be applicable to all though I guess.

Yes, the collar I am talking about has the metal things that look like spikes.  It doesn’t hurt them and I have been using them since they were in puppy classes.  With Nikko, if I just move the leash to his regular collar he knows instantly and will start pulling. 

I was overwhelmed when I went to the first class as well.  I thought there was no way they were going to learn all of what they were teaching.  It is hard at first, but then a little light bulb goes on, and they start picking it up quickly. 

It depends on the situation on whether I let Nikko walk in front.  If we are out in the county or just going for a leisurely stroll I don’t mind, and I will let him lead the way and sniff around, etc.  But when I take him to downtown Chicago, he is glued to my side!

i don't use a training collar because i don't have a need for one. My trainer recommended starting off with loose leash walking. You want them to be comfortable with being on a lead. When Luka starts pulling really bad i just stop walking. I don't mean jerking him or anything i just calmly stop. he winds up turning around to look at me and then i said come'on luka let's go and we walk together. i agree with the other two suggestions, if he won't quit pulling i just change directions and we're off again.

there are times when i do want him to be right beside me (depending where we are walking) but for the most part i don't mind if he is front (at a suitable distance).

i have a walk with love harness and i'm obsessed with it! it's cut down Luka's pulling by far.

There's loose leash walking and then there is formal heel work. There is no reason a husky can't do either or both of those things.

I am not sure what they are asking you to train in the class, but heel work is about teaching a position and having the dog remained focused on you the whole time, I start off training it without a leash or collar. How I'd train formal heelwork would be different to how I train loose leash walking, with loose leash walking I just want the dog to be calm and chilled out and not pulling on the leash. They don't need to maintain a precise position or stay focused on me like I require in heelwork.

do you think the class is asking you to train formal heel work (like you would use at an obedience competition) or just want the dog to walk nicely on the leash without pulling?

Niko will heel even when he's off a leash. You've already got plenty of great advice.

For Niko we made him sit at our side, said 'heel', and then began walking. We held a treat next to our heel to show him the correct position and then treated him if he maintained it. If he tried to pull ahead or didn't keep position we stopped, called him to us, made him sit, and then did it again. He picked up what heel was in no time. This is of course though, a very strict by my side position. He is allowed on a longer free leash when told 'okay' in which case he wanders forward. At this time we had to teach him not to pull again by stopping and changing directions when he did so or stopping and calling him back and starting in the heel position again.

There's loose leash walking and then there is formal heel work. There is no reason a husky can't do either or both of those things.

I am not sure what they are asking you to train in the class, but heel work is about teaching a position and having the dog remained focused on you the whole time, I start off training it without a leash or collar. How I'd train formal heelwork would be different to how I train loose leash walking, with loose leash walking I just want the dog to be calm and chilled out and not pulling on the leash. They don't need to maintain a precise position or stay focused on me like I require in heelwork.

do you think the class is asking you to train formal heel work (like you would use at an obedience competition) or just want the dog to walk nicely on the leash without pulling?

Yes it is more formal that they want him to learn and they also want him to learn loose leash walking as well. So I guess to answer your question both. Formal is going to be first (where we have them sit and approach them with our left foot, and if we want them to stay then step with the right etc) then later on they want us to bring our leashes and collars so we can do loose leash walking.

Yes it is more formal that they want him to learn and they also want him to learn loose leash walking as well. So I guess to answer your question both. Formal is going to be first (where we have them sit and approach them with our left foot, and if we want them to stay then step with the right etc) then later on they want us to bring our leashes and collars so we can do loose leash walking.

Ok cool, so teach them as two separate things.

Training formal heel work is really an exercise in motivation and precision, you want a dog who is up and alert and motivated so they maintain focus and have a nice working attitude. Because heel is a position, I usually start off by teaching some back end awareness on a stool or similar (youtube perch work/back end awareness training and you'll find lots of videos). This will help the dog to learn where heel position is and will also make sure they have good back end awareness when you add turns into heelwork.

Think about the things that motivates your dog and what their favourite rewards are. If it's food make sure you are using yummy treats like chicken or sausage or cheese. If he's toy driven you can also incorporate the toy as a reward for heel work. This is my youngest dog (not a husky but will give you an example of how to keep the dog motivated). She is learning heel work for competition.

http://youtu.be/LMqGHBWVVAk

You will really enjoy formal heelwork! I dont tend to do it alot but have got both of my huskies doing it :) they remain completely focused on you and seem to pleased with themselves and happy! It wouldnt matter where i move to or what direction as they are focused on you they go where you go and remain in the heel position i loved it!! Loose lead walking i am still trying to get with Skye she is a pain!!! Shadow is a lovely walker walks out in front but isn't dragging me along :)