Couple Glues 60,000 Pennies To Bedroom Floor

Mollys Dad

Does this qualify as having WAY too much time on your hands???

It sure does, but they did it as a couple (nice to have a hobby you can share!) with copious amounts of wine apparently - and still managed to lay the coins in straight lines

I remember seeing this a while ago. In SA that would actually be illegal :-)

In the UK, it used to be (no idea if it still is - maybe one of those ancient laws yet to be overturned so still *technically* in force?) to deface / damage any currency but as they were only glueing them to the floor it might not be a problem as the glue (& varnish - see my next comment) can be removed

looks good but would hate to clean it xxxx

They varnished (or something) over it so there is a smooth surface - should just need a wipe / mop to clean it

In the UK, it used to be (no idea if it still is - maybe one of those ancient laws yet to be overturned so still *technically* in force?) to deface / damage any currency but as they were only glueing them to the floor it might not be a problem as the glue (& varnish - see my next comment) can be removed

its illegal to deface currency in the US as welll but like you said it could be removed

Shops can refuse to accept money that is really badly mangled but they are ok with notes that have been taped back together - a few people here have had notes chewed but their furbies. As for coins, I think it is to do with the value they represent rather than what they are worth in terms of metal. It was common practice to cut bits off coins when they were made from silver or gold to make up a fraction of a coin's value as it was all down to the weight of metal. It was also common to snip bits off a bracelet to pay in a similar way, known as 'hack silver'. If you wore jewellery, you were literally wearing some of your wealth although it was more to do with the value of the metal than the value of the craftsmanship or any sentimentality

That's awesome, about the useful thing you can do with pennies IMO. LOL - I'm so glad Canada got rid of the penny.

They should have sold the 2 incredibly rare pennies they found. I like to collect old coins, so when I read they still glued down those awesome coins, I shook my head.