What To Do You With Your Babies When Your Away?

jessiezara90

So Usually when I have been away my oh has been home and the few occasions we have been together Meeko goes to the father in law, but he can no longer take him due to Ill health and his dogs don't really like Meeko :(.

I'm going to to Glastonbury this June and Not sure what I'm going to do with him. I'm hoping to find some really nice kennels maybe but I have worked in the local one as a kid and have been to a few others and I know it's really pathetic but I just think they are scary and stressful for them. I remember always feeling sorry for them when I was working there. My friends dog loves going to kennels though. When I work late Meeko goes to work with the OH, him and his mother run a coffee place and he will go to the shop for the day, his mother has offered to take him there in the day, but she won't take him out and and has asked people to take him for walks, I completely freaked with her letting any Tom dick and Harry take him out. So what do you guys do with your fur kids when you go away??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same about kennels, I cannot imagine my girl in one, I think she'd drive everyone crazy, get very stressed and I wouldn't trust random people with walking her, so I use "pet sitters", you have privates and companies, dogs are in a home environment with a few other dogs at most, get plenty of cuddles and some even give you daily updates if you want. And prices are reasonable :)

It isn't often we have to do this, but when we have to go away and Suka can't come, we stick him in a 'doggie daycare' place (or a dog boarding place, if we're going to be gone longer than a day).

We make sure the dog boarding places aren't actual kennels - that they are free to go outside and back inside as they wish (and, in the case of huskies, I make sure the outside area is completely safe and husky proof!).

When you're looking for a place, make sure they REQUIRE vaccinations (rabies, distemper, kennel cough, etc), they are insured and bonded, and actually check them out in person to see how clean the cages are, how well they keep the place and care for the dogs, etc.

Also, make sure they allow you to bring your own food for your dog, and if they have a emergency vet on call (or on staff) in case something goes wrong.

We found a really good one in the country, they give the dogs a lot of outside 'free time' running around. I explained to them Suka's a husky, and that he can't be let off lead, so whenever we take him there they keep him on a leash or a tie out.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

My 2 wouldn't cope in kennels so I get family or friends I trust to come and stay at mine if I go away. If that's not possible then I don't go away  :)

we are normally the same but this is a family wedding and most of the family are going and the ones that can't make the wedding certainly can't manage to care for 2 strong huskies. I am hoping to find somewhere near the venue so they have to be in kennels as short a time as possible.

we are normally the same but this is a family wedding and most of the family are going and the ones that can't make the wedding certainly can't manage to care for 2 strong huskies. I am hoping to find somewhere near the venue so they have to be in kennels as short a time as possible.

Yeah that makes it more difficult for you. Least it wouldn't be for long  :)

I realize this is no help to your problem, but the vet up in Alpine will put my pair up for US$30 for both of them per night.  They get walked at least twice a day - and I've been told the staff like my dogs so they get extra time.

But like everyone else, if I can I take mine with me, but I've been running back and forth to the hospital (first for cataract surgery and now for a cyst on a tendon on my hand) so there's no way to take them with.

She, the vet, made sure that my dogs shots were current and when not out with staff they're kept in an approximately 4 * 8 run.  They've stayed overnight 3 - 4 times and three nights one time.  They're as anxious to get there as they are to come home so I'd say they're doing a good job with them.

He probably would be fine in kennels its me that's the problem! We are going to see some next week, it's attached to the vets and have heard they have lovely heated kennels... Have been tempted not to go just so I don't have to leave him, I balled my eyes out last time I went away and left him with the father in law (sad women!!!)

Going to end up never leaving the house!

We're fortunate to have grown up children at home. Once they've gone the dogs will have to be kennelled. The two boyz I used to care for always went in kennels for long term boarding. Their owner was working away for 10 months and the boyz were kennenlled the whole time. They never came to any harm and were the same happy bouncy boyz when brought home.

The only difficulty we will have is Safi won't be able to be kennelled as she can't have her vaccinations. Although we have had friends offer to keep her with them if we ever needed to.

Fortunately our son stays and looks after ours so we know that the dogs are being cared for. This year, however, will be difficult as we have a holiday abroad booked, done ages ago, not sure that I want to leave them for that long even knowing that they are safe.

Gary.

If I need to go away due to work Polee stays with Mum but is walked by a dog walker who lives just over the road from us.  If mum isn't available then the dog walker also boards dogs in her own home although I've never need to use this service.  I've known the dog walker for over 30 years as we went to the same school and Polee adores her so I'm confident that it's safe.

Polee has been in kennels previously and although she seemed fine I didn't enjoy my short break at all as I was worried about how she was doing. 

my girls usually go to family but i have started taking them to the kennels i work at to get them used to the setting just in case they should ever have to do in to kennels xx

the kennels I am looking at are literaly minutes from the wedding venue so I am sure they will be fine. I am not keen on a pet sitter here as we have rabbits, chickens and ducks and farm livestock all around so we make sure we take all the necessary precautions I just don't think I could trust anyone fully to understand my dogs the way we do. (again this is just me being silly)

• 1 month later...

Wes if your naya gets on well with mine after time i could always look after her for a weekend (but it does depend if she gets on with mine and obviously i would imagine you would want to get to know us first lol!) 

Im lucky with mine if we need to go away or even a night out somewhere we take them to Robs parents where they get to play with 3 cocker spaniels, 1 shorthaired pointer and 1 english setter :D with acres of land to run which is fully enclosed :)