Puppy Eating His Own Poo??!??

Jay

Ok I never thought I would have this issue but this morning they went outside to potty and after Yukon popped he went to smell it and started trying to bury it and all of sudden he started to eat it! Before I could get to him he at it all. I thought I was going to puke I was do disgusted. What the hell makes them do that?? Is it more common that I thought? Now I'm watching every time he goes out to make sure he isn't having another snack! Gross!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gunna be sick!! Lol. I brushed his teeth for like 5 minutes afterwards. Nikko always tries to hide his poo and never showed interest. Yukon will eat anything tho Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a can of crushed pineapple, and put a spoon in with the food for a few days.  Makes the poo unpalitable.  Of course, you would think it already would be unpalitable.

Pineapple definitely works. Had that advice a couple years ago when we had the same problem.  You can also get some stuff from the vet to put in their food to make it less tasty.  Ours eat the bunny buttons. Asked the vet about it and he said that his does also, and though he would like to stop it, he hasn't be able to, and you just have to watch for symptoms of coccydia.

Yeah Yukon eats everything, even the stuffing out of toys, mulch, dirt, anything he can fit in his mouth.  Never head of the pineapple trick, I will try that if I find him doing it again.  Now I just make sure to go right out after he poops and pick it up so he doesnt have time to eat it. 

hehe

leyka doesnt/hasnt ever eaten her poop shes a proper little lady until it comes to mud lol

diva has eaten it before but then shes a dirty mare shes like the more disgusting the better yukky dog lol  xx

Talk about one gross - but seemingly natural - thread. I don't have a problem with mine eating their own or each others feces (thank the gods that they don't!), but let them find something left by the local burros and you'd think they were in the Ritz Delicatessen!

Solitary Howl, that was an interesting read - and the lady does seem to have a pretty good sense of humour about the issue.

Edited by Al Jones

It's been a few days and I think he's still eating his poo. I have been giving him pineapple and the pills from petsmart to see if that works. Right now I'm just watching him like a hawk but i can't always catch him before he eats it. I've been looking for the reasons they do this and none seem to apply. He gets 2 cups of TOTW food so he should be getting all he needs. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so a few days later, I talked to the vet and they said it is pretty normal, in fact one of the techs there has a dog that she said just eats all the poo.  They had the "forbid" powder that you sprinkle on their food, or they suggested meat tenderizer.  I bought that and I am using it with the pills from PetSmart, and have used pineapple as well.  I also watch them when they poo and immediately pick it up before Yukon has the chance to eat it.  So far, he hasn't eaten any poop, but it could be because I have not given him the opportunity.  Let's hope that nasty habit is broken!