mm4bella

Hi there, my name is Monica

I just rescued a red husky a week ago. He is about 20 months (owner couldnt tell me exact age).  His name is Grizzly. This is my first husky and I jumped in completely blind. I know nothing about huskies except what I have read online the last few days. He is very smart. When I got him he didnt even know his name. I had him responding his name with in a night. His previous owner left him outside with a shock collar. Grizzly was given two options, find a new home or be put down. I was told he had to be fed in his crate because of his food aggression. He doesnt have any food aggression that I have seen, however  he is not getting along with my pit/boxer mix. She is now terrified of him and when he enters a room she goes into protect mode and freaks out. This happened after he split her ear and hurt her leg. I have broken up about 8 fights a day. It has gotten better only 2 today, but Im at the losing end. I love both these dog but have no clue how to stop them. Any tips I would Love I have tried everything I canthink of, I have never had a dog fight before so I dont know what to do.

Sorry if this is to long.

post-9260-0-77727400-1359259296_thumb.jp

I have never rescued . Only have raised since about 8 weeks. But I recently added a new puppy to my pack. My older husky took some time getting used to her. We are still taking it very slow. I keep them separated at meal times and have controlled play time. If you have a gated area you can let them smell each other through the fence. 

Just keep introducing them very slowly. It takes time. Your husky is in a new house, with a new dog and owner. Let him get used to his surroundings.

In a few weeks after a schedule is set, And they have had controlled play time. Let them loose together for a bit. 

He is very beautiful, and thank you for doing such an amazing thing by rescuing. Please don't give up! Just takes time. 

Hi and welcome and well done for saving this stunning boy. when i rescued Thor him and my other husky Odin hated each other, the fights were crazy blood every where lol theirs and our's.

now what did i do well i did time out, every time there was a fight the one who started it got time out, not in a crate just put in another room where he could not see the other dogs or us.

i wont lie it was not easy and wasn't an over night fix it took time, when they got on ok with no fights they got lot's of praise and treats.

i also took the boy's out on walks together leaving Loki my girl at home ( she did get a walk out lol ) taking them together they had o get along, if you have some where away from the house that is a secure area take them for off lead play.

Never give one a cuddle or treat without the other they soon realise whats right and whats wrong but once you start the time out don't give up don't think oh it's ok i'll let him off this time, keep it up.

it did take a while but my boys are best mates now and you can't take one without the other.

good luck just don't give up on them t's all new and confusing to them xxxxxxxx

oh please keep children away unless your with them untill you sort this issue xxxxxx

Thank you for making me feel so welcome. Good news we have had no fights so far today and we had a successful training session with all 3 dogs. Valkyries I have about 6 acres that they get to run off lead. They play outside wonderfully until Athenia (pit/boxer) starts to get tired and wants to be left alone. Then when things go inside its like someone flips a switch and everything breaks out.

Also Grizzly isnt allowed to be alone in any room unless its my bed room. Im to scared of something happening when im not looking

Hey and welcome :) I would do what Linda said about the time outs :) And in time you will find they become inseperable :D Do you keep any toys or bones etc out that may trigger fights atall? May be worth keeping anything like that away until they are fine together :)

Thank you for making me feel so welcome. Good news we have had no fights so far today and we had a successful training session with all 3 dogs. Valkyries I have about 6 acres that they get to run off lead. They play outside wonderfully until Athenia (pit/boxer) starts to get tired and wants to be left alone. Then when things go inside its like someone flips a switch and everything breaks out.

Also Grizzly isnt allowed to be alone in any room unless its my bed room. Im to scared of something happening when im not looking

Hi and Welcome!!

I wouldn't let your husky off his lead unless you are in a highly securely fenced in area... they are known to take off and they don't like to come back. :)

I'll echo the comments about "Welcome to the forum!" and "Thanks for rescuing such a beautiful dog!" In my local slang "ya dun good!!"

This is all new to him, new home, new people and a new playmate that he's none too sure about.  As the others have suggested a good time out for the offending dog helps, keeping anything that they can fight over out of the way helps, and a lot of patience!!

This is your call but one I make in these situations - as long as they're not drawing ( too much ) blood and they're not being destructive let them work out their differences.  The bad part of you "solving" the problem is that one or the other of them is going to feel slighted ( Jealous ) and that's just going to lengthen the time it takes for them to live together.

My opinion to your statement as it stands is that it's patently false.  However, if you encourage them to fight then yes, it will be true.

This is quite literally your call ... can you tell whether it's an all out dog fight or dominance confrontation.

If it's an all out fight then you're going to see major blood and they are going to pay absolutely no attention to you. Without question you need to stop this immediately - they can and will willingly cause major damage to each other and anyone who tries to intervene.

If it's a dominance issue coming out then you're not going to see major blood, possibly a scrape on the ear or a leg, but nothing extraordinary. It may sound like they're going to kill each other, but look for the amount of damage they actually do to each other. They will recognize you ( since you're pack leader ) and will draw back if / when you tell them to. 

Personal opinion here: If they are not allowed to work out a dominance issue, you stand the chance that it can become an all out fight at some point.

Time for someone else to comment here .....

I think it is a dominance issue or a protection issue. Athenia freaks out when Grizzly goes after the cat are is rowdy. The only injuries we have had is a split ear and hurt muscle. I had a friend tell me to put a muzzle on Grizzly so he will learn to submit... Is that a good idea??