Ooops~Now What?

Tobeahuskymom

Ok, so I created a problem for myself!  Crate training (almost 9 week old, here for about a week) is going slooowwwwww.  I follow all the guidelines suggested here. I feed her in there;  I leave random treats in there, and she regularly goes in there to check it out; she gets her bone in there only, and she will go in there and chew on that a while here and there.  I put her in there for random times (5 min, 10 min, etc) through the day and then let her right out to potty; when I see her want to nap, I put her in the crate (with door open for now)...most of the time she get's right back out, so I have been waiting for her to be asleep to put her back in. I figured if she can understand that if she wants to be undisturbed, then the crate is the place to sleep.  BUT, we have small bedrooms, and the crate will not fit beside the bed at night, at first she was laying in a laundry basket and doing good at that.  Then I really hit a brick wall, and serioulsy needed some sleep!  Everyone around here is sick, and I was coming down with something. (she gets up every 2 hours or so to potty) so, a couple of nights ago, I just let her sleep in the bed.  Not suprsingly, she slept in 4 hour stretches.  Three days in a row of this, and she things the bed is hers.  My question is, how do I fix my lazy stupidity!!! ;)

Do I bite the bullet and just let her tough it out for a while, only letting her out at night to potty????

in answer to your question? yes. 

I successfully crate trained both of my dogs. Storm as a pup and angel as a adult rescue.

You need to be tough, tough it out. Yes its hard, yes its tiring. Heck im going to be going through this again myself in a few weeks and boy am i not looking forward to it.

You caved in. You now have it harder. You learnt your lesson and now you have to retrain her.

good luck

As Louise has said, you now have to re train , but it is a problem that can be overcome. You've made a mistake. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all do it, this is how you learn. Start again and persevere, it will all come right. I have 3 pups that I'm training. They all go to "bed" at night as does our rescue dog. If they need to go out they soon let us know, usually about 5-30 - 6 am. We will let them out, while they're out we prepare their meals and then they come in and eat. They then go back to bed until we are ready to let them out again. Never ever use the crate as punishment.  Good luck ;) .

Gary.

As Louise has said, you now have to re train , but it is a problem that can be overcome. You've made a mistake. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all do it, this is how you learn. Start again and persevere, it will all come right. I have 3 pups that I'm training. They all go to "bed" at night as does our rescue dog. If they need to go out they soon let us know, usually about 5-30 - 6 am. We will let them out, while they're out we prepare their meals and then they come in and eat. They then go back to bed until we are ready to let them out again. Never ever use the crate as punishment. Good luck ;) .

Gary.

3?? :o

Tough love..... that is all i can say lol Just stick with it if it is where you want pup to sleep then you will have to just stick with it... set an alarm at first at night dont do every 2 hours though that is a bit much try 3 then extend to 4 etc etc only took me 2 weeks with Skye and she was sleeping the whole night till about 7 in morning... i also retrained my older male (2 years old) aswell now at night they get all excited to go to bed because they get a treat lol as soon as it gets to 11 or later if we move to get up they have bedtime kisses (lmao) then outside then they both run into their own beds they both know whos is whos also!! then they sleep till about half 8 if im not up by then .. weekends they sleep later lol