Tell Me Something About.......

Osinn11

your City or Town of interest. Maybe it's a cool landmark.....a tourist stop or something about its past! Really anything that others might find interesting. If you've got a photo add it in

I'll go first!

2 blocks from my house is the 2002 Olympic Speed skating oval! This is still an actively used venue and headquarters of U.S. Olympic speed Skating.

post-7782-0-41655900-1359322686_thumb.jp

:D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live a couple miles from a place called Darwin House. Not sure if Charles Darwin lived or worked there as i've never visited but it has something to do with him. Also I Live opposite a roman baths house. There's actually several in Orpington and plenty of roman roads to be found (obviously they've been resurfaced many times). A nearby park also has a few world war 2 remnants, concrete flooring where the old turrets used to be.

The town I live in had a band many, many years ago that surprisingly did quite well, and they're still going on about them :jawdrop:

Oh, they were called The Beatles

Decca Records rejected the Beatles, saying that "guitar groups are on the way out" and "the Beatles have no future in show business,"

:oops: little did they know...

*Many* (ahem!) years ago, a guy used to come over to 'jam' with those in the house who were musically inclined (not myself, I would add...) His name was Crispian Mills. At the time, I knew that his granddad was Sir John Mills (actor in numerous war films). He later became known for his band Kula Shaker.

This house was only a couple of doors away from a house owned by a certain James Patrick Page...

Elvis Presley is from Memphis and his house still remains there open for tours.

Also, the home of Sun Records which recorded many famous musicians.

On a sadder note Martin Luther King Jr. Was shot and killed at the Lorraine Motel and its also open for tours.

Actually most Memphians have never visited Graceland, myself included.

I have been to the Lorraine motel though, it's very somber but interesting.

Alkmaar is quite famous for its traditional cheesemarket that is being held every Friday between April and September and hasn't skipped a single day for 400 years straight. I'll quote Wikipedia as it can explain it much better than I can do :)

There are five cheese markets operating in the Netherlands. Woerden is a modern working commercial cheese market. Four, Alkmaar, Gouda, Edam and Hoorn, are like traditional merchant cheese markets as operated in the post-medieval period, re-enacted during the summer months for tourists. The shows are today surrounded by stalls selling all things traditional to the Dutch culture, including cheese.
Dutch cheese farmers traditionally brought their cheeses to the market square in town to sell. Teams (vemen) of official guild cheese-porters (kaasdragers), identified by differently coloured straw hats associated with their forwarding company, carried the farmers' cheese on barrows, which typically weighed about 160 kilograms. Buyers then sampled the cheeses and negotiated a price using a ritual system called handjeklap in which buyers and sellers clap each other's hands and shout prices. Once a price is agreed, the porters carry the cheese to the weighing house (Waag), and scale of their company.

post-2355-0-32518900-1359328943.jpg post-2355-0-28907100-1359329067_thumb.jp

It's being held next to the Waagtoren which is an icon on its own. If you Google Alkmaar you will see it appear in many photos.

post-2355-0-06964100-1359329138.jpg

Also interesting are the canals that go through the city centre. There is a boat tour that will bring you to all the interesting places and also goes through these bridges. If you visit Alkmaar I would definitely recommend doing it once. Though you have to be a bit mobile because it involves a lot of ducking for bridges  :lol:

post-2355-0-06031600-1359329831_thumb.jp

There are loads of other interesting and historical places in Alkmaar. As a tourist a single day would be too short to see it all :)

History and interesting places - my FAVOURITE subject  :pingu:

I live in Grabouw - it is in the Western Province of South Africa - right at the bottom of Africa. It was named after a town in Germany by the founder - Wilhelm Langschmidt, a German artist who settled here.

The first British and Dutch settlers to the area crossed the mountains in ox wagons in 1664 - it was a murderous journey and the tracks of the ox wagons are still seen in the rocks today and is a huge tourist attraction. 

The Sir Lowry's Pass

post-1262-0-49605500-1359356639.jpg

Grabouw is a fruit growing area and the Appletiser factory opened in 1966 and along with the high quality fruit from the area, it is exported world-wide.

Appletiser

post-1262-0-34640100-1359356764.jpg

Grabouw apple orchards

post-1262-0-48756700-1359356697.jpg

post-1262-0-41119200-1359357187_thumb.jp

Houw Hoek Inn - the oldest hotel in South Africa opened in 1779 - my daughter got married there :)

post-1262-0-62030900-1359356738.jpg

Other than that - we are just another little town in a small country at the foot of Africa  :rolleyes:

My town once had two space stations one of which played a vital part in helping the US with the first moon landing and ensuring things went smoothly. At the time this town was better known then Australia, so people would assume the town name was the country and that Australia was within that country.

Oh, and the banana's (they are the best you will EVER taste)   :)

We have a giant banana 

And a Humpty

post-9191-0-17963700-1359357886_thumb.jp

post-9191-0-14098300-1359360882.jpg

for the football people...Varsseveld is the birth town of Guus Hiddink..the man who did something special with South Korea that is why the welcome to Varsseveld is also still in Sth Korean...

I grew up In Rochdale too although I moved away when I was 10 years old.

Here's a List of some famous people from Rochadale

List of people from Rochdale
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a list of people from Rochdale, in Greater Manchester. The demonym of Rochdale is Rochdalian, however, this list may include people from HeywoodLittleboroughMiddletonMilnrow and Wardle, all from the wider Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale. This list is arranged alphabetically by surname:

Table of contents:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
See also â€¢ References [edit]B [edit]C [edit]E [edit]F [edit]G [edit]H
  • Trevor Hoyle,novelist, radio dramatist, broadcaster. writes mainstream fiction, SF, and novels set in the North-West.
[edit]J [edit]K [edit]M [edit]O [edit]R
  • Francis Robert Raines - former Anglican vicar of Milnrow, and an antiquary. He edited 23 volumes for the Chetham Society publications.[25]
[edit]S