Tell Me Something About.......

Osinn11

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My town once had two space stations one of which played a vital part in helping the US with the first moon landing and ensuring things went smoothly. At the time this town was better known then Australia, so people would assume the town name was the country and that Australia was within that country.

Oh, and the banana's (they are the best you will EVER taste)   :)

We have a giant banana 

And a Humpty

oh wow I want A Humpty! lol

oh wow I want A Humpty! lol

Looks like you'll have to settle for a NUMPTY !!

LOL

(sorry Marc) :P

There isn't much claim to fame for Aplington, Iowa... It's a fairly typical small town in the USA - quiet and peaceful to the point where people usually don't lock their cars (or in the case of many - pickup trucks, it  being farm country) when they park to go in a store. It's a rural enough area that in the entire county (Butler), there isn't a single traffic light... Love it!  :heartbeat:  :) 

Dammit i was wracking my brain trying to think of something interesting! :P

LOL the village of West wycombe is quite interesting and picturesque too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Wycombe

I currently live a few miles from Durand Union Station, in Durand, MI.

It is a historical Station and receives visitors from all over the world. We also have the "Crazy Train People" that sit at the many, many, many railroad crossings with cameras waiting for trains to pass. The High School mascot are the Railroaders.

http://www.durandstation.org/

There was also a Circus train that crashed a long time ago, and there are elephants and even a camel buried right in town under the streets.

My Grandfather was also an engineer for Grand Trunk Railroad for 30+ years.

I grew up in Byron, MI, which is a HUGE agricultural town, but a SMALL village of people. When I was in high school, our FFA won the National Title of Chapter of Innovation for 2004. The town was named after Lord Byron the poet.

Byron has four points of entry into town, and each one of them is a bridge over some kind of water. 3 of those entries are over the same river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron,_Michigan

I live near Greenwich which is where the London Olympics equestrian events were held, which for me is the most exciting part of the Olympics as I'm a big horsey fan ^^

405916_10151147374314663_1754724650_n.jp
And this is Mishka (Possibly her worse photo ever taken aha) with in the far background the main arena, we had been watching the SJ on the big screens as I didn't get tickets :( lol

• 3 months later...

90 minutes from my house is another cool place: The World Famous Bonneville Salt Flats!

post-7782-0-26816300-1368773031_thumb.jp

post-7782-0-95438900-1368773053.jpg

post-7782-0-52109200-1368773076_thumb.jp

post-7782-0-19147700-1368773089.jpg

I have to add I did not take these photos. It's been years since I've actually been out to Bonneville during speedweek. Hope to make it out there this year! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I live in london, so surrounded by the historical and just plain weird,  ten minutes one way one of the most famous pubs there is, the bull and Bush, ( think old tyme music hall !) Ten minutes the other way is camden,  the oddest collection of shops, stalls, and punks your ever likely to see !  Oh and just up the road is dick whittingtons cat statue,  on the hill where he heard "turn again dick whittington"   oh and our local bridge is known as Suicide Bridge, ( I was 15 before I knew it had another name lol)

Hotel Niagara, claimed to be one of the spookiest hotel in Indonesia, is just 20-30 minutes away from where I live. I was told that this hotel is featured in an international tourist guide book for its scary stories which brought many foreigners to my little town. Some guests say that the bathroom lamp flickers whenever someone is taking a bath, and magically repairs itself when that someone leaves the bathroom. There is also a story about a man who hears knocks on his door but opens it to nothing. Not spooky at all IMO :P I mean, I'm not gonna challenge myself and spend a night there, but there are a ton of places with stories 1000x spookier in Indonesia that doesn't get as much attention. 

http://www.niagaramalang.com/

I live in shropshire where we have ironbridge the birthplace of industry and the first bridge made of iron, love this town and shrewsbury the birthplace of charles darwin also carol decker from t pau. Comes from down road in wellington.

• 2 months later...

Hotel Niagara, claimed to be one of the spookiest hotel in Indonesia, is just 20-30 minutes away from where I live. I was told that this hotel is featured in an international tourist guide book for its scary stories which brought many foreigners to my little town. Some guests say that the bathroom lamp flickers whenever someone is taking a bath, and magically repairs itself when that someone leaves the bathroom. There is also a story about a man who hears knocks on his door but opens it to nothing. Not spooky at all IMO :P I mean, I'm not gonna challenge myself and spend a night there, but there are a ton of places with stories 1000x spookier in Indonesia that doesn't get as much attention. 

http://www.niagaramalang.com/

Awesome! I like spooky places. My wife and I have visited a few in our travels! :D

Awesome! I like spooky places. My wife and I have visited a few in our travels! :D

then I guess you might wanna hear about Lawang Sewu (literally means "a thousand doors", because the building is huge and has lots of door-sized windows) ;) definitely spookiest spot in the country. Horror stories from that building has always been and will always be the scariest of all. It used to be an office building for the Dutch but it's just a historical monument now. It's SO spooky it actually made the town famous! Whenever I watch supernatural programs such as Ghost Adventures, Ghost Hunters or anything like that I always wonder why in the world won't they set foot on Lawang Sewu. I'd even bet on Lawang Sewu against any scary spots Ghost Hunters ever visit. Except that bar called Bobby Mackey's Music World. I can't sleep watching that episode  :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawang_Sewu

^^^the best English article about it. Not so detailed about the scary stories though. 

i live in a small village

we have a village flag 430px-Flore_village_flag.svg.png which represents several things i cant remember but the inside of the flower is to represent the may day which is held every year, not many villages still uphold that tradition ;)

then I guess you might wanna hear about Lawang Sewu (literally means "a thousand doors", because the building is huge and has lots of door-sized windows) ;) definitely spookiest spot in the country. Horror stories from that building has always been and will always be the scariest of all. It used to be an office building for the Dutch but it's just a historical monument now. It's SO spooky it actually made the town famous! Whenever I watch supernatural programs such as Ghost Adventures, Ghost Hunters or anything like that I always wonder why in the world won't they set foot on Lawang Sewu. I'd even bet on Lawang Sewu against any scary spots Ghost Hunters ever visit. Except that bar called Bobby Mackey's Music World. I can't sleep watching that episode  :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawang_Sewu

^^^the best English article about it. Not so detailed about the scary stories though. 

Very interesting! Sounds like the complex has alot of history. I was surprised to read that they keep the basement flooded to help with cooling. I've never heard of that before. :D

i live in a small village

we have a village flag 430px-Flore_village_flag.svg.png which represents several things i cant remember but the inside of the flower is to represent the may day which is held every year, not many villages still uphold that tradition ;)

I can't say I know of any villages around here. Is the flag still displayed throughout your village? I'm not familiar with May day?

Love the colors by the way...my two favorite! (I'm a lifelong NFL Minnesota Vikings fan)

I was born and brought up in Peterborough. All I can think off is the cathedralpost-10781-0-57322100-1376510035.jpg.

I live in Whittlesey now it's quite a small town but it has the straw bear festival every January. I'm not to far from Stanford I like taking the dogs to burghly house gardens

post-10781-0-97592900-1376510179_thumb.j

I can't say I know of any villages around here. Is the flag still displayed throughout your village? I'm not familiar with May day?

Love the colors by the way...my two favorite! (I'm a lifelong NFL Minnesota Vikings fan)

yup. :)

outside the hall.

kinda like.a.town hall i guess.

a village is smaller than a town.

may day is children dancing round a maypole with ribbons on it. ill dig out pics tomorrow.

they have a big ceremony with a may king and queen from the school chosen by the kids.its a big deal in my village.

Very interesting! Sounds like the complex has alot of history. I was surprised to read that they keep the basement flooded to help with cooling. I've never heard of that before. :D

This is just what people told me, but they say the basement is flooded with blood. Real blood  :wacko: they can't pump the blood out no matter how hard they try so they just leave it there and tell people the basement is flooded to help with cooling...