Tell Me Something About.......

Osinn11

I was born and brought up in Peterborough. All I can think off is the cathedralattachicon.gifimage.jpg.

I live in Whittlesey now it's quite a small town but it has the straw bear festival every January. I'm not to far from Stanford I like taking the dogs to burghly house gardens

I wish we had more cool buildings like that around here! Straw Bear Festival? What is it all about?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. :)

outside the hall.

kinda like.a.town hall i guess.

a village is smaller than a town.

may day is children dancing round a maypole with ribbons on it. ill dig out pics tomorrow.

they have a big ceremony with a may king and queen from the school chosen by the kids.its a big deal in my village.

Awesome! I wonder if it had something to do with maypoles. My wife and I had Maypoles at our wedding! :D

This is just what people told me, but they say the basement is flooded with blood. Real blood  :wacko: they can't pump the blood out no matter how hard they try so they just leave it there and tell people the basement is flooded to help with cooling...

This place gets better and better every minute! :D

I come from a little village called Cottingley, which is famous for its fairies. For anyone who doesn't know - in early 1900s 2 little girls photographed fairies at the bottom of their garden. These photos got interest from all over the world - even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was fooled by the photos. There has been many books written about it and at least 2 films - 'Photographing Fairies' and 'Fairytale-A True Story' which stared Mel Gibson, Harvey Keitel and Peter O'Toole amongst others. My village is next to Bingley which is famous for its Five Rise Locks on the Leeds to Liverpool canal.post-10729-0-51723700-1376613488.jpegpost-10729-0-36635000-1376613504.jpeg

I wish we had more cool buildings like that around here! Straw Bear Festival? What is it all about?

I wasn't quite sure what it was all about. I just read up on it. Apparently years ago a ,man was picked to be the straw bear he would dress up and knock on people's doors and dance for money,tabacco and beef. The last time he was seen was in 1909. Any ways after he did what he needed to do with the people. From what I could make out they used to burn him in the hope they would have good crops that year( no wonder he needed beer and tobacco )

It's celebrated every January (why in jan I don't know as its freezing lol) they have all Morris dancers and pole dancing. All sorts and the festival now It's good to take the kids to as most the kids activates are free :) we just have to buy the beer lol

I come from a little village called Cottingley, which is famous for its fairies. For anyone who doesn't know - in early 1900s 2 little girls photographed fairies at the bottom of their garden. These photos got interest from all over the world - even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was fooled by the photos. There has been many books written about it and at least 2 films - 'Photographing Fairies' and 'Fairytale-A True Story' which stared Mel Gibson, Harvey Keitel and Peter O'Toole amongst others. My village is next to Bingley which is famous for its Five Rise Locks on the Leeds to Liverpool canal.attachicon.gifimages-9.jpegattachicon.gif ll050.jpeg

I've never seen the photos of the fairies before. Pretty amazing for images from the early 1900's! The area arounf the locks looks very beautiful and peaceful. Are the locks still used today?

I wasn't quite sure what it was all about. I just read up on it. Apparently years ago a ,man was picked to be the straw bear he would dress up and knock on people's doors and dance for money,tabacco and beef. The last time he was seen was in 1909. Any ways after he did what he needed to do with the people. From what I could make out they used to burn him in the hope they would have good crops that year( no wonder he needed beer and tobacco )

It's celebrated every January (why in jan I don't know as its freezing lol) they have all Morris dancers and pole dancing. All sorts and the festival now It's good to take the kids to as most the kids activates are free :) we just have to buy the beer lol

Uh remind me never to be the Straw Bear. I wonder if it was an honor or a punishment to be chosen as the Straw Bear? Sounds like a very interesting festival. :D

I've never seen the photos of the fairies before. Pretty amazing for images from the early 1900's! The area arounf the locks looks very beautiful and peaceful. Are the locks still used today?

Hi the photo's were impressive - you can find the full story by Googling it or looking on our villages web site - cottingleyconnect.org.uk or cottingley.net and its even on Wikipedia (what isn't - just checked and the locks are on there too)

As for the locks yes they're still in use every day there is also the less known about three rise locks further down. It is a very busy area but very tranquil - one of my face places I even saw a kingfisher two week ago for the first time ever. I have been walking along the canal since I was a little kid and I've always wanted to see one.

• 3 weeks later...

I come from a little town called Ozalj in northwest Croatia.

It's a small town now, but it used to be an unofficial capital of Croatia back in the 17 century when nobel families Zrinski and Frankopan lived there. They lived in a castle which is the greatest monument we have.

ozalj-dvorac.jpg

Ozaljduga_zps230d9278.jpg

Another great thing in Ozalj is Munjara. It's one of the oldest hydroelectric plants in Europe, built in 1907.

igor-ozalj-0014.jpg

These would be the most important things from Ozalj, but of course there's a bunch of great stories about the town and a few famous people (world wide John Malkovich's grandparents) etc.

• 3 months later...