Wanting To Show

mm4bella

So we just got a red husky with yellow eyes. This is my first husky and I think he is beautiful. I was wondering what all goes in to showing huskies. I am a stay at home mom and thought it would good for both of us to get out of the house. I just dont know where to start

post-9260-0-39300500-1359334225_thumb.jp

I'm not much into dog sports, so I don't know. I've heard of 'dock dogs' (google it), but I wouldn't think that work be a good sport for a husky. They would be too stubborn to go after the ball, and all the huskies I've met don't like to swim, anyways.

You can register him as UKC and enter him in altered class UKC for practice.  But SolitaryHowl is correct you cannot show AKC.  Showing in conformation is to establish breed quality so there really is no point to altered class other than fun.  Sledding takes more than 1 Siberian, but scootering or bikejoring might be up your alley as he gets older (18mos before he can start pulling).  Obedience and Agility may be of interest also.  Water sports are often off lead which is not highly recommended for Siberians.

Most people won't trust their sibes off lead because even though most the time they come, there's a chance that one time he won't. I would suggest UKC as well, I'm planning on doing it with Yuki for fun and to get experience for the future in case I ever want to do AKC with another show-quality pup :)

There is a good chance that your Siberian won't come back if they find something better than their owner's call to chase.  Recall is not a strong point of the breed, and learning more about the breed you have taken on is suggested.  Working in rescue we went our after numerous lost huskies, your starting search radius is only 50 miles, and increases 50 miles every hour they are missing, many are never recovered.  There are a number of people that 'trust' their Siberians off lead in unsecured areas, I personally feel that they are tempting fate and unnecessarily risking their dogs lives. 

http://www.siberescue.com/Common/Leash/leashTRUST.html

I wouldn't trust it. When my Dad left him alone for just 5 seconds (he went inside to wash his hands) in the back yard (and in the front yard, he didn't learn the first time!), he was trotting away far down the street and didn't listen to either of us when we called him. We found him eventually (thankfully he was still in the neighbourhood and he wasn't in the nearby forest - there are coyotes and now some cougars in there!), but its a horrible feeling when your dog runs away from you like that. Not to mention dangerous for the dog, I'm lucky he wasn't run over.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

the only place a Siberian is ok off lead is in a securely fenced area.  I'd invest in a fence for your home.   Like SolitaryHowl stated, it happens quick and you never know when they'll decide today is the day they stop listening.  The heartbreak of losing your fur baby or worse is not worth it.

6 foot is the minimum for most Siberians.  If he is a known fence jumper there may be more securing methods needed for him.  For example we had a fence jumper we had to string electric fence along the top of the fence to keep him from going up and over.  I strongly suggest some breed specific reading-  There are some unique need to knows when getting involved in this breed.

The e-fence you are referring too I'd suspect is the fence less e-fence with a transmitter and the dog wears a collar.  This type is known not to be completely effective on this breed though there have been exceptions to this rule, sounds like this boy is not one of them.  The type I have strung along the top of my 6 foot chain link fence is the same type that keeps livestock in.  Its a solid metal wire that carries an electric charge, it only takes a couple times running into this type of fence to learn not to climb fences anymore.