New Here And New To The Husky World

Alicia Doyle

Hey my boyfriend got a husky puppy for my son she is 6 months old I think I got so exited I forgotte everything he said I'm up in Galway with my son and the bf is in clare with the pup, we have no name for her as were waiting for my son to see her and name her, she's quite big already, my bf's dad has the pups father so we know the father is good natured, Bf got her today and said she,s very quite she was used to being outdoors on a stud farm, I just want to know everything I need to know if anybody can help I know they need lots of exercise and to be firm with them so they know your boss and a good feed obviously, I won't see her for a week so I want to use this time to prepare and be loaded with information I'm heading to the libary tomorrow, sorry for the long message any help will be great thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there and welcome! :)

Just out of curiosity, how old is your son? Generally they are good with kids, but they are known to play rough with dogs and even people if not trained out of it.

A few things you should know:

- They have high prey drives, so they will kill things. Anything from bugs to bigger mammals are fair game. Just prepare for it.

- They should never be let off lead. This is because they have high prey drives, coupled with their selective hearing and stubbornness, as well as their desire to run! 99% of them have little to no recall, not at any fault of the owner - its the nature of the breed. Anybody who tells you otherwise is just asking to lose their dog - we have a few on here that thought their husky was the exception and let it run off lead. They were never seen again - presumably killed or stolen.

- Because they were bred to pull, they really do PULL! It is possible to train that out of them, but it is very hard, as the desire to pull is bred into them.

- They are escape artists - make sure to fence in your yard with at least 6 foot fencing and then bury a some fence underneath the ground so they can't dig out. Alternatively, just buy a strong tie-out...like I did.

- They are stubborn, independent, and intelligent dogs. They will not do things just to please you. They will only do things if they see what's in it for them!

- Some are very vocal, though it depends on the dog.

- Most of them don't fetch - they don't see the point in it. Why should they bring you back something that you keep on throwing away??

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Thanks so much for the reply his only 4 so I'm now starting to get worried, by bf's dad has built a pen out the back for his dog the pups dad but now they're going to have to make it bigger for the 2 if them but we will be keeping it inside the pen is just for if we've to pop out, I will never leave my son alone with her, the pups dad doesn't always come back to the bf's dad I thought this was the dog but thanks to you I know this is the breed, is the a long lead like the ones u get for small dogs so they can run but stronger for huskey's that we can get? We have a beach right near the house and it's a country area so I'm planning on bringing her on the beach every day when I'm home and the boyfriend do the same when I'm not, your advice is brilliant thanks ill print it off in the morning