New Here And New To The Husky World

Alicia Doyle

I walk Sasha on a 30 foot lead and we've come to an agreement; if you go around something the wrong way, I'll wait for you ( "Go ' round!" ) but I'm not backing up because you aren't watching where you're going.  It took some time but she's gradually getting the idea and will backtrack to go around whatever.

We also have short lead walks and long lead walks - in that order - if you behave well on the short lead, you'll get let out on the long lead going back.

At four, your boy can learn that the dog's not a toy to beat on; however, expect her to play rough ( and I really do mean rough!! ) because that's how they like to play.  If she's figured out bite inhibition you shouldn't have any problems with her and the youngster - just have to teach him that when she back off that he needs to as well.

Have fun and enjoy this most wonderful breed!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really interesting thanks I've wrote it down, ya my boy Is quite gentle so I don't think he'll be too rough with her, and he has a good understanding now, I Spose once we don't leave them alone monitor the play all should be fine, I can't wait to see her now :-)

It really isn't that he'll be too rough with her, it's that she'll be too rough with him in what is "normal play" - - - these dogs seriously do like to play rough!

Little kids (2 - 3) don't seem to understand that this new "friend" can do some serious damage if they mistreat it.  At about four and up they do begin to realize the ramifications of intentionally hurting a dog and can really become "best friends" and have a good tussle with no one being hurt (except by the occasional accident - if you don't like teeth, keep your hand out of her mouth!!)  If she follows the lead of most Huskies, you and bf will be the leaders of the pack and your son will be a packmate.

I just want to add something about the leashes - some places have bylaws where the leash can't be longer than a certain length. In my area the leash limit is 6 ft, so all pet stores in my area only sell leashes up to 6 ft. It's not strictly enforced, so I let him on his longer leash in fields and open areas when there's no people.

You can get longer ones off of ebay (I've seen 30 and 50 ft ones) in all different colours.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Thanks ill bear that in mind I'm going home on Friday and ill finally get to meet her so I'm going to have a look at the pet stores and If I can't find any ill go on amazon or eBay, my laptop charger isn't working so will have to go to the libary, we have a beach right near the house that only locals know about it's not as big as the other beaches so only locals go there so I'm hoping it'll be deserted as it normally is when I bring her I am worried about the birds tho, but sure she'll be on the leash I hope I'm strong enough lol

long leads on ebay,

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CHURCH-PRODUCTS-UK/DOG-TRAINING-LEADS-/_i.html?_dmd=1&_fsub=3793642015&_ipg=30&_sasi=1&_sid=998653855&_sop=1&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322&_vc=1

these are the ones most of us buy from.

they have loads of sizes. i have 100fts and 30fts.

She has to stay with my boyfriend until I move back to clare after my course but I'm home every weekend and then will be moving back in in April and then we'll all be a little family, don't worry when I get to see her ill be posting lots of pics clearer ones aswell :-) :-) xxx

• 2 weeks later...

We brought penny to the vets it took us a while money was tight feeling relieved now that she's been she got vaccinated wormed flea'd and looked over, she has an underbite and dry skin apparently both are normal she's to go back in 3 weeks for her next set of vaccinations and hopefully neutered and microchipped :-)