What Harness To Use For Running

jessiezara90

My OH is planning to start jogging with Meeko. I walk him on a xtradog harness which is not suitable for running and possibly biking. So have been thinking julius k9 or euro long harness, not sure what to go for! Do any of you jog with yours and what do you use?

The oh as has also bought the canicross belt and a bungee lead?

Meeko is going to need his own wardrobe soon!!!

I don't jog with mine, but I take him with me on my recumbent trike. Absolutely loves it, he'll go 5 miles easily. I just use a regular collar, though I will note we aren't going super fast...about 5-8 mph on average. He starts out in a full run, then tapers off into a steady trot. He controls it all, when he slows down...I slow down, etc. I usually start heading home when he starts to lag behind, he runs the show . 

I'm afraid I can't help you much on types of harnesses, but whatever you choose, I don't doubt your dog will love joining you on a run. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I presently use something very similar to the Julius. Its just the north american branded one from EZYDOG.
I use a lead that wraps around me and clips into itself, and a use a short extension to give enough space for my strides as I run. I'm not fond of connecting to the collar, even for walks.

I use a collar for walks as Yuki is an escape artist, semi slip is all I trust with her. I'm hoping to order one of the indi-dog trail harnesses when shes old enough to run, they look perfect for running :) although I will probably still attach a coupler from her harness to her collar as I don't trust this little demon one bit!

I am glad I read this topic, as I am about to start jogging soon as well. BTW I got one of these brilliant walking harnesses, where you attach the lead to the front part (chest) to stop dog pulling. Do you think I could use it just for beginning of jogging, she is still very young so I won't be jogging long distances

Yuki is 7 months old and I still don't jog with her. I'm very paranoid about her getting arthritis n other stuff so I won't even start light jogging until shes a year old. When she turns a year old I'll probably buy a julius harness for her so she has room to adjust and grow, and then when she turns 2 years old I'll get a custom fit trail harness and x-back.

Oh, I probably overuse the word "jogging" LOL What I mean is dancing around on my happy feet up and down my close :D

I have one that attaches to the front when I'm walking Meeko but when running (light jog) :) I use the Julius. The bungee is a amazing as u don't feel any jerks, very smooth