A Quick Question...

TylerHaydenMaxx

I agree, there are no set times that you have to feed them,
as long as it works with your schedule and they are not too far apart.  I feed mine at 6am
and 6pm (Puppy gets small snacks at noon and 8pm).  That’s just because of how my work schedule
is

Thanks for you replys.

I guess I'm only asking because Maxx hoovers his food up in seconds and always seems hungry, I've placed large obstacles in his bowl to slow him down but it's only by a couple of seconds.

So in not leaving to big a space between meals? Don't really want to feed him later then 7 as since we started this routine his stopped weeing and pooing indoor. Yay!

No, I think 5 hours is good for his age.  Yukon does the same thing with his food; it is gone in seconds.  I dont think he chews it at all, and he always acts like he is hungry.  The problem is the breeder free fed him and I would not do that, so he was used to being able to eat when he pleased. 

Come to think of it in sure when ever we visited Maxx at the breeders there was always a tray of food down!.... So that explains i guess... Although that was 3weeks ago.. I hope he grows out of it soon.

Yukon is 7 months old and still acts like I never feed him! He has gotten a little better.  It was so bad at first I had to feed him using one of those treat dispenser with the different compartments so he would not be able to take large gulps of food. 

Nikko on the other hand does not act that way.  He eats his food at a normal pace. 

You can try getting the no-gulp bowls that have the partitions in the middle. 

Thanks for you replys.

I guess I'm only asking because Maxx hoovers his food up in seconds and always seems hungry, I've placed large obstacles in his bowl to slow him down but it's only by a couple of seconds.

So in not leaving to big a space between meals? Don't really want to feed him later then 7 as since we started this routine his stopped weeing and pooing indoor. Yay!

Times seem good to me, as long as they fit into yours and his schedule its fine, Kai was then same when he was taht age, he would bolt down his food and it was as though he was only hungry, they evntually grow out of it though once they learn there is no competition for the food, Hes nearly 2 now and eats a lot slower now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If maxx is anything like ice then it wouldn't matter how many times a day you fed him, he'd still be on the lookout for more! Ice eats 2 big meals a day and still looks around the house for more things to eat as soon as his dog foods gone. He's just a huge scavenger! lol

Dogs are some really odd people! 

I've always free fed and never had a problem, they eat when they get hungry - and since they know it's there they don't have to gulp everything in sight.

Then I got Sasha - she's not a particularly big girl, but if I free feed her she ends up at about 65 pounds - just a bit more overweight than I'd like.

My take on this is like this ... dogs in the wild eat when they get hungry, they make a kill and get as much of that kill as they can and then don't worry about it for a while.  They don't really seem to understand "meal time"

Avalanche, at the moment, probably has three cups of food in his bowl - he's nibbled a bit, but he's not hungry so isn't eating.  For me, that's the typical free-fed dog.

Sasha - on the other hand - was at large on the streets of San Antonio and apparently got into the habit of eating anything / everything in sight when it was there to be gotten.  Regrettably 6 months after I got her, I've decided that she has to go on a diet.

Just a quick note - anyone thinking about free feeding, expect the dog to scarf as much as they can for the first couple of weeks - that's the way they've gotten used to, so it may take a while for them to accept the fact that there will be food there for them ....