My Poor Baby :(

mila_moo

We work really hard to keep both of our huskies in their fenced in yard where they are safe. We have an electric fence that normally does the trick. Yogi has a stubborn dog collar and sometimes even that doesn't keep him in the fence. Even though he gets out of where their fence is, he still stays on our property. Normally he goes and hangs out with the horses, or sits in the driveway waiting for me. Mila, on the other hand, is a typical husky. If she happens to get out, she's gone (until she's ready to come back home). If we go after her, she thinks it's a game. But, it is rare that she gets out.

The other night, though, she did get out. I'm not sure how and I'm not sure why. Although, I have a sneaky suspicion she saw a rabbit (we've had a lot of them hanging out by the horses hay this winter). We had no idea she had gotten out. Both dogs were inside with us until we went to bed, which was well after 11. So she must have gotten out right away. That night while I was laying in bed, I heard Yogi bark and growl for a few seconds, but then heard nothing else from either of our kiddos. I had this hunch that I should get up and go check on them, but since I only heard him once, I brushed the feeling aside.

Turns out I should have gotten up because the next morning, as I was leaving for work, I found Mila laying next to my car. I knew right away something was wrong. She doesn't do pain well, so you can always tell by the look on her face when she's hurt. Luckily, I work for a vet, so I just loaded her up in my car and took her with me. I figured coyotes had gotten her, or someone else's dog. But when the vet sedated her and started examining the wounds, he said something just didn't seem right to him, the wounds didn't look like bite wounds. So he decided to take an x-ray of her, and sure enough, he was right... Someone had shot my baby, with a shotgun :(

I hate the fact that now I don't feel like my dogs, or cats are safe in our neighborhood. Animals (especially huskies) are smart, and no matter what we do as owners to keep them in the yard, accidents happen, instincts take over and they get out. What sucks even more is that every single one of my neighbors have dogs. All of which I have seen in my yard at one time or another.

We used to put both dogs in kennels at night when we go to bed, we got away from it for awhile, but we are starting it again. But I refuse to kennel my dogs all day. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

No sure how anyone could shoot something with sucha precious face (guess I'm a little biased though)

post-7992-0-51847000-1359599937_thumb.jp

Here's a picture of her x-ray. All the bright spots are part of the bullet(s)post-7992-0-62888500-1359600010_thumb.jp

Poor thing even had a piece in her tongue

post-7992-0-78926000-1359600075_thumb.jppost-7992-0-93273000-1359600119_thumb.jp

That is aweful.  The person who did it would be missing something important.  I am so sorry that you all had to go through this.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Mila for sure.

I wish I had some advice for you as to an alternative to crating but I don't.

Your poor girl! I hope she's ok, could have been she found something to chase (are there any livestock near you?) legally livestock owners are allowed to shoot an animal if it's worrying their animals , I'd try n get a proper fence put up or definitely look into a large dog run for them if u can't keep them in your house whilst your out