Husky And Babies

Paddy985

Hi all.

I am after some advice and reassurance please. 

My husky/Malamute cross, Reni is 12 weeks now and we have just found out, rather unexpectedly, that my partner is expecting a baby.

In general how do these dogs react to the addition of a new born into the household?

We both love Reni to pieces and are hoping that he will cope with the new addition and obviously we have quite some time to make any necessary adjustments.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

post-9176-0-26807300-1359646159_thumb.jp

We have 2 Huskies and a White German Shepherd.

My Daughter and  Granddaughter live with me.

Eden Willow (baby) is 3 months old.

All the dogs adore her and are very gentle around her.

However.

We never leave her alone with the dogs because you simply never know.

We trust the dogs but as Eden get to crawling around the floor and pulling and poking  the 

dogs we don't know how tolerant of baby pokage they might be.

It's simple really be watchful.

Have a look at my daughters Sig'

Kells2013edensig_zps1113b709.jpg

Also when you buy clothes and blankets for the baby, let the dog sniff them and get used to the smell of the clothing.

Also when the baby is born bring home blankets and used nappies for the dog to sniff so when the little bundle comes home

he/she will be a strange noise making machine but he/she will be a familiar smell.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Some really good ideas. I knew I could rely on the knowledge and experience of the forum users.

Probably one of the most important things is for YOU and your partner to be CALM.

If you  give off stress vibes whenever the dog is near the baby the dog will pick up

on this and may also become stressed around the baby, which could cause

unusual behaviour in the dog.

As stated, I would never leave him alone around the pups, or let the pups play with each other while he is around (it gets rough). 

If the baby is not here yet, then take some time to research prepping a dog for a baby.

Some things we did, were not give them all of out attention like they were use to getting, playing crying baby clips off youtube, setting baby things (swing, bouncer, ect) up, washing baby clothes, letting them smell the detergent scent, and letting them get use to those things pre baby.  We would walk them with an empty stroller, and carry a baby doll around the house, sitting with it, rocking it, setting it down in the equipment,  so they would get use to seeing us with it and dicipline as need when they tried to lick in the face, paw, ect.

We set the boundries pre baby, so most of it was maintance when the baby got here.

I think you'll be fine :) it's not like you have a mature dog that isn't as open to change. You have a young one ready to take on the world. My four have very sporadic contact with my granddaughter, they all cope really well considering every time they see her she's bigger and more mobile!! Lol

Last time she took to them quite quickly, and they just treated her like a normal family member. She tried poking Saf in the eye and got told not to an to be gentle. Saf just sat an looked at me like.. So you're gonna stop this now!?post-1752-0-92704100-1359855700_thumb.jppost-1752-0-00953800-1359855813_thumb.jp

First pic is most recent, second when she was 7 days old Amelia, my granddaughter that is

My daughter has a husky / Mal x and she is fantastic with the kids which is saying something. Sometimes wish the kids were that well behaved. She does however have her moments when she has had enough and she will look at Mum and let out a little growl to let my daughter know that she's had enough. She has never ever tried to deal with the kids herself. She understands her place in the pack and knows that telling the kids off is a definate no no. Pack leaders job. Good luck and :congrats:

Gary.

I have 3 and im 32 weeks pregnant!

I have absolutely no worries at all about the dogs and the baby, but I'll still never ever leave them alone with him, we have a crate and also a baby gate separating the front and back room, so if baby's asleep downstairs and I need to leave the room, the 2 lazy dogs will go behind the gate while my youngest (who jumps the gate) will go in the crate. Annoying but better than any accidents :) It's not just bites etc you need to think about, a sibe jumping up to check on the baby could knock over the moses basket

We've had all the different baby things (pram, basket, bouncer etc) set up in the living room so the dogs get used to having them around. This week I'm going to start teaching the dogs to walk nicely next to the buggy :)

While there's not a baby in our home, the grandkids visit quite frequently. The only 'problem' we had was when the smallest was a newborn and would cry. Ryn would automatically try to comfort her, kissing and licking almost to the point of extreme. However this was only when she would cry. A quick reprimand and even this stopped.

Set your boundaries immediately and firmly and at NO time, leave baby and husky in the same room alone, no matter how much you trust your husky. Always better to be safe.

My daughter has a small dog who was the 'child' until the baby came. She also has a lab. Blankets and dirty diapers were sent home so the dogs could get used to the scent of the baby. By the time baby came home, they were unimpressed with the scent and while interested in her, were not concerned.

Today, the baby is just over 18 months old. She is a leader in the family and even at her young age, quickly disciplines the pack if they are getting out of hand "No goggy! Quiet!" (it's hilarious, yet wonderful to see them take orders from her). "Sit goggy!" and they plot right down in front of her. She doesn't hesitate to take their toys and they know to give them up because she's the boss. It's also her 'responsibility' to give them treats and she'll make them sit before they get them. To watch a child build such a relationship with a dog is wonderful. She's going to be a great owner, someday.

Edited by Austinville