Falling Over Back Legs Shake.

Bambi92

We took Sasha out today to get the dogs and cat there worming tabs and after we come out of the shop we walked up the street a little and Sasha stopped looked at me went to rub her nose on the ground then her back end fell to the ground and her back legs sort of shaked. I made her sit there for a few mins then she got up and kept walking she has done it once or twice before and it's only when she is in a place that she is a bit stressed in or doesn't know well. What should I do? Do I take her to the vet and stress her out heaps and hope they can tell me what it is without being able to get near her to do anything or wait and she if it happens again then take her? I was going to take her back into where we were because it was the rspca care centre but there vet was finished for the day and she didn't want a bar of going back there she just wanted to walk the other way.

We took Sasha out today to get the dogs and cat there worming tabs and after we come out of the shop we walked up the street a little and Sasha stopped looked at me went to rub her nose on the ground then her back end fell to the ground and her back legs sort of shaked. I made her sit there for a few mins then she got up and kept walking she has done it once or twice before and it's only when she is in a place that she is a bit stressed in or doesn't know well. What should I do? Do I take her to the vet and stress her out heaps and hope they can tell me what it is without being able to get near her to do anything or wait and she if it happens again then take her? I was going to take her back into where we were because it was the rspca care centre but there vet was finished for the day and she didn't want a bar of going back there she just wanted to walk the other way.

How old is she?

Did her legs actually give out?

How was her body language? (ears back? Tail tucked inbetween legs?)

She is between 4-6 I think and her back legs just fell to the ground and it was like she just sat down on the side of her leg if that makes sense but her front end was still up and she was supporting herself with her front legs. I sat down next to her put my hand on her chest her heart was beating faster then normal but once i had my hand on her she calmed down and she just stared at me it was like she wasn't there for those few seconds she was starring then she went to get up and walk off like nothing happened but I made her sit there for 5mins. I couldn't see where her tail was, when she fell it was under her legs, her ears were up but not like normal there were a bit further back.

She was sick 3 times last night but that might be from being wormed when ever she is wormed she ends up throwing up. She has been a bit more sleepy but other then that she is like her normal self.

4-6 years or months?

I have no idea what it could be, but it doesn't sound good from what you described. I'd take her to your vet, describe what happened, and perhaps get them to do a few tests to see what it could be.

And I'm guessing her sleepiness could be from the deworming?

Could she have a tick? I'm not certain but I'm sure I've read somewhere ticks can cause sudden paralysis.. Any good flea tick treatment will kill a tick in 24 hrs. I'm not sure if once its dead it will solve the problem. It may be an idea to check her over closely. To remove it don't upset it. Use tweezers as close to the skin as possible and prize the head out without squeezing the body, you want to avoid regurgitation back into the blood stream. I may be completely wrong, but its work a look.

Even if you treated her for fleas, the tick treatment part doesn't last as long as the flea part. And some treatments don't give any tick protection. Plus you're in the middle of summer there so ticks are more abundant

4-6 years sorry thought I put years I there.

I'm taking her on the weekend because the vet I want her to see is on then hopefully she will let him help her this time round (not likely but there's always hope) and hopefully they can tell me what's wrong without her having to be put right under for them to be able to do it and only have to have sedation for her to be helped :( everything goes wrong at the same time so damn stressful :(

Could she have a tick? I'm not certain but I'm sure I've read somewhere ticks can cause sudden paralysis.. Any good flea tick treatment will kill a tick in 24 hrs. I'm not sure if once its dead it will solve the problem. It may be an idea to check her over closely. To remove it don't upset it. Use tweezers as close to the skin as possible and prize the head out without squeezing the body, you want to avoid regurgitation back into the blood stream. I may be completely wrong, but its work a look

Didn't think of that but she has had ticks before but there were bush ticks so non paralysis and normally from what the vet said last time and what the vet shows I watch say if its a paralysis tick they will go down hill quickly. But I will check her over I've checked the main parts of her where they were last time but ill check the rest of her over. If it was a tick I think she would be a lot worse then she is now. She has flea/tick treatment stuff on they all do as my cat is allergic to fleas

Another thought would be a seizure (epilepsy or otherwise), especially if she looked very vacant for a while, and then picked up after it. Did she sleep well when she got home, or was she back to normal?

That was my first thought I sort of shit myself when it happened but I knew I had to be calm for her. We got home and She went out to the toilet came back in slept for about half hour then it was there dinner time she ate a bit of it (about a quarter of it) had a drink then went back to sleep she has been asleep most of today but she got a burst of energy and played for a hole hour not like her to play that long then come in and slept. She does normally sleep a lot but not this much she just looks really tired and sad :( she is normally a super happy go lucky little shit (in a nice way).

It could be epilepsy, but a vet is going to be best placed to comment on that. We had a mongrel with epilepsy - the seizures weren't nice, but he otherwise lived a normal life to the age of 17 years. Hopefully, you'll get to the bottom of the cause soon. Good luck.

I'm in agreement with Steve. It sounds like the start of Epilepsy. You need to get her checked out at the vets and if necessary get her blood tests done. If it is Epilepsy it is treatable. My Skye had something similar happen to her. She had 2 fits afterwards but has had absolutely nothing since, fingers crossed. That was 4 months ago. At the moment I have held off on the blood tests being done. She was taken to the vets imediately after the last fit and they could find nothing wrong with her. The vet put it down to the tranformation she has gone through as she was abused badly in her early life until I took her away from the abusers.

Gary.

Ill be taking her to the vet ive been around a few dogs with epilepsy it isn't nice :( I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thank you for the replies much appreciated :)

Sasha is going to be angry at me again for taking her :( but she has to go.

She has been so sooky after this has happened it's kind of scarring me because she isn't normally this much of a sook she usually runs away from the bathroom when she hears the bath water running but she has been laying next to the bath when I'm in there and she has to be near me where ever I am.