To Get Another Or To Not?

Stormy

Unless you know the dog you're getting, it can be pot luck really.

As we found out with Malaki, we thought he would settle in but after 6 months

we had absolute mayhem.

However there are many stories of bringing another in and they slot in seamlessly and they all get

on and the new dog is well behaved and becaomes an awesome pack member.

Good luck :up:

Thanks Andy! :) My only concern may be Skye ... she bullys shadow to no end but any other dogs she generally submits to the floor... every time we go to robs parents their female intact english pointer ALWAYS dominates skye and she submits straight away.. Skye trys to dominate the puppy lol. 

Shadow is used to other dogs being in and out and around etc he has been used to that most his life so i dont think i have to much to worry with him.

Do it :P

I reeeeeally want another too :( Im also thinking about having a Mal. They (on average?) tend to be more domineering dogs than huskies for example, so perhaps a Mal isnt the best choice if you're concerned about integration? Although if you have them from a pup, then I dont see that it would be any more difficult than any other pup?

We looked into getting a Mal that needed rehoming at 14 mths before getting Peppa. We took them all for a walk together the first time, then brought him to our house the second. He spent four hours with us. He was totally domineering, Togo spent the entire time trying to instill a semblance of authority. It ended with Loki an Safi cowering behind our legs as the Mal just bulldozed his way past Togo at every opportunity. He was young and excitable and most certainly used to being his own boss. So we had to decline. Togo was a wreck lol bless 'im

Awww bless!! See at the moment my two are a great pair no fights no issues nothing....so this is why im going to spend alot of time thinking about it .. i know my two are great with most dogs and being in a group etc Shadow seems to have grown up before his time he is only 2 but acts like he is about 5 or 6 he is so calm and laid back where as Skye is quite active and needs a friend that is also very active i think then again he does get up and play sometimes just not constantly like she would like lol

I really dont know tbh!!! 

It sounds like you're happy with things the way they are. You've got things how you want them to be and are quite content. If it were me I would wait until i felt i desperately wanted to add to my pack before seriously contemplating another. (in my case that's years down the line! Lol). Whatever you decide, good luck! X

It sounds like you're happy with things the way they are. You've got things how you want them to be and are quite content. If it were me I would wait until i felt i desperately wanted to add to my pack before seriously contemplating another. (in my case that's years down the line! Lol). Whatever you decide, good luck! X

Yeah i think tbh i am still a no for now :) I think i will stick to my decision of having a third dog when we have somewhere with land :)

Well im not to concerned i reckon Skye would just submit to it if its quite dominant? I do not know lol

skye was the one i was thinking about when you mentioned getting possibly a mal as they can be quite dominant, didn't want you experiencing any problems, you may be best to go visit a good malamute breeder, i know barbara stanier breeds good temprement mals, (affix is Arctictrek), shes in norfolk. xx

As my OH has said already Kodiak is a great dog but he is very head-strong. And the only things that are stopping us getting another right now are the adoption and the fact Kodiak is a giant :jawdrop: 

Like all fur-kids he has his moments and chases his tail and gets cases of the zoomies but in general he is very laid back and adores other dogs. I couldn't be without him now. He has grown so much since we picked him up at 8wks but he is still our 'little' baby :lolman:

I have also been thinking about getting a third. A few months after I got Nikko I knew I wanted a second one, and I did! LOL.  I had no issues with introducing Yukon, and they get along great.  I was very afraid that A) Nikko's training would go out the window, and B) THey would not get along and I would have to separate them.  Fortunately that never happened, and Nikko got even better with training once Yukon arrived.  It kept them busy and out of trouble (sometimes!). 

Now I have been looking for my 3rd!  I want to wait until I get a bigger place with some land.  Plus, I have 2 that are near the same age, so I would not want to go through 3 deaths in 12-15 years, I just don't think I could handle that.  So I would either wait about 5 years until I get a pup, or look into adopting one that is 4-6 years old now. 

I first thought I just wanted a red husky, but now I think I want a red malamute!  A big teddy bear to curl up with me :)

Who knows, if the right one came along I don't think I could pass him up