Hybrid Husky

CARRINGTON

We still have Balto who is a puppy and we have no intentions of getting another puppy until he is good and trained and is where we want him to be. We were not thinking of getting one for another 2 or 3 years from now. However, my fiance is wanting to get a husky with wolf (or hybrid puppy). I do not know much about this breed or what I would be getting myself into. Keep in mind that I also have a cat who is only 2 and I have no intentions of getting rid of her just because my fiance wants a hybrid dog. Is it possible that if we get him as a tiny puppy and train him a hybrid puppy would learn to leave the cat alone especially since she has her very own room in the house that is baby gated and they would never be in a room alone. Has anyone had any experience with a hybrid? How much different is that then training and raising a husky? 

562406_10150914678229906_1996821921_n.jp

This is my cat who I wouldn't give up for the world

Aren't you meant to have a licence to own such a breed??

Yes

We had a member who had a Malamute / Wolf Hybrid called Nikita

She was the sweetest girl.

This was her not long before she passed away

P1050124.jpg

I follow Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary and they help rescue and rehome hybrids. Like huskies, people purchase them and have no idea what they're doing. But usually, it's even worse as they are still part wild. Wolves are not meant to be pets, they are wild animals and I think they should be left that way instead of being bred with household pets to give someone a unique looking pet.

Also, According to this website: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-9.pdf

Missouri does in fact require a permit for any wolf hybrid not to mention very specific regulations regarding their enclosures. Just something you might want to read up on before deciding to add one.

I am more for a pitbull then a hybrid. Especially since one day soon we want to have kids and I am not sure I would trust a wolf with my kids. I just think that he wants one because him mom's boyfriend had one and she was one of the best dogs he had ever had. I either want another husky or a pitbull

I think wolf hybrids are a bad idea. I'm familiar with a wolf sanctuary in Poland as well as in the UK - wolves are unpredictable, and the daughter of a friend lost a finger due to her mother giving them too much trust. I would not take a chance on a hybrid which is part wild, and am really concerned about their rising popularity. In my opinion, it's in the same camp as keeping any other animal as a pet, lions for example. Where is the sense, and why take the risk?

I am more for a pitbull then a hybrid. Especially since one day soon we want to have kids and I am not sure I would trust a wolf with my kids. I just think that he wants one because him mom's boyfriend had one and she was one of the best dogs he had ever had. I either want another husky or a pitbull

i have a rescued pitbull and he is the sweetest thing ever. i really didn't know too much about the breed before him except that they were misunderstood. Now, i can't believe what i was missing out on! eventually i would like to also add another husky to my pack who will also be rescued. rescues are the best.

i have a rescued pitbull and he is the sweetest thing ever. i really didn't know too much about the breed before him except that they were misunderstood. Now, i can't believe what i was missing out on! eventually i would like to also add another husky to my pack who will also be rescued. rescues are the best.

I volunteer at my local humane society and they have many pitbulls there that we walk on a regular basis and they are the sweetest things EVER!!!! That is what I am really going for. There are so many there because they are so misunderstood and many come in as strays because no one wants them. We also have quite a few that come in because they were once bait dogs for dog fighting operations and those are usually the ones that just want to lay in your lap and soak up the hugs and kisses. However, not just any dog can be in there they have to pass twice as many tests as any other breed would and if they fail in any areas they are put to sleep.

I volunteer at my local humane society and they have many pitbulls there that we walk on a regular basis and they are the sweetest things EVER!!!! That is what I am really going for. There are so many there because they are so misunderstood and many come in as strays because no one wants them. We also have quite a few that come in because they were once bait dogs for dog fighting operations and those are usually the ones that just want to lay in your lap and soak up the hugs and kisses. However, not just any dog can be in there they have to pass twice as many tests as any other breed would and if they fail in any areas they are put to sleep.

very true. Luckily i found Knox and his sisters before they wound up in the wrong hands. Some idiot dumped them off at a gas station on a a cold and rainy night. Poor Babies were stuck in a box and couldn't find cover. And that is how i got my little Knox aka Luka's bestfriend.

Like many others have said, I would not recommend a wolf-hybrid. Not only are they dangerous (unpredictable), but the breeding of them is so unregulated (worse than normal dogs) that people buy and sell 98% wolf hybrids when they are clearly very low content. And they are very expensive, even low content ones.

High content wolfdogs also behave VERY differently than dogs do.

There was this program on (Nova?) that showed the differences between wolves raised from puppies (taken from the mother early) and dog puppies (again, taken from the mother early.). The wolves ended up practically destroying the house, did not housebreak very well (if at all), and showed more dominant and aggressive behaviour towards their humans. The people who did the experiment ended up bringing them back to the wolf sanctuary because they couldn't handle them anymore.

It was amazing and scary at the same time - think of a very naughty husky, and then think 10X worse than that!

I do hope you consider adoption. I adopted my boy, Suka, and it was the best thing I ever could have done. I'll probably adopt all of my future animals, except I might want to get a puppy ONE time just to see what its like. I've volunteered at local shelters; I've seen what goes on behind closed doors. Its heartbreaking when you have to shove a pooch back in their cage, when they are so terrified of going back in there.