My Gym Diary

siberian_wolf

Wow!!!! You are doing AWESOME!!!!! This kind of motivates me into wanting to go to my local gym every other day and working out. It just seems that time is NEVER on my hands. I am so glad you are still following through, by now most people that I know would have quit. :cup::yahoo: <--- I just really like the dancing face

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gym day 8 - Tuesday 19th February 2013

I almost ended up giving it a miss as my head was still banging but after a dose of pain killers, a snooze and a trip outside with he boys I was feeling fine :) so I wanted to have another go in the circuits class so I met Jamie at the gym as my class started before Jamie would have finished.

I got to the gym about 15 minutes before the class started so I had time to warm up which was finished with a 10minute session on the treadmill at 7km/h on gradient 5% and I managed to walk 1.15km :)

I then went to the 20 minutes circuit class which was more focused on the lower body and core this time. I was very pleased I managed it this time :)

After the circuits class Jamie was just starting his workout on the treadmill so I joined him. Jamie was going to do an hour so I put myself on for an hour and started at a steady power walk (5km/h) at 5% gradient and every 5 minutes I increased my gradient by 1%

I was half an hour into my workout when we were asked if we wanted to join a kettlebell and TRX (t-Rex) workout. Jamie didn't want to as his arms were still hurting but I was feeling pumped so got stuck in another workout. This workout was very upper body focused and I was hard work but I actually managed to complete most of the workouts :D well chuffed, my arms must be getting stronger :)

That was me for the night, still feeling pumped but after my headache I didn't want to push it any more so I went for a steady cool down stroll on the treadmill and then that was me for another night.

Wow!!!! You are doing AWESOME!!!!! This kind of motivates me into wanting to go to my local gym every other day and working out. It just seems that time is NEVER on my hands. I am so glad you are still following through, by now most people that I know would have quit. :cup::yahoo: <--- I just really like the dancing face

:yahoo: I like that one too :D

I've been feeling great since I've started working out, so much more positive about things :D

Our gym is a virgin active gym and during the week it's open until about 10pm which is ideal especially for Jamie as he usually works till about 6pm and I think they open about 6am which gives plenty of time for us to get a few minutes in at the gym. I try to not worry about having the time for the gym. The gym is only up the road so if I find myself being sat down with nothing to do I think "I could squeeze 10minutes at the gym"instead of "I'll watch some tv for 10minutes" :) if I was to ever to have a moment of spare time and couldn't make the gym for whatever reason the I'd put my workout stuff on and have a quick workout session at home :)

:yahoo: I like that one too :D

I've been feeling great since I've started working out, so much more positive about things :D

Our gym is a virgin active gym and during the week it's open until about 10pm which is ideal especially for Jamie as he usually works till about 6pm and I think they open about 6am which gives plenty of time for us to get a few minutes in at the gym. I try to not worry about having the time for the gym. The gym is only up the road so if I find myself being sat down with nothing to do I think "I could squeeze 10minutes at the gym"instead of "I'll watch some tv for 10minutes" :) if I was to ever to have a moment of spare time and couldn't make the gym for whatever reason the I'd put my workout stuff on and have a quick workout session at home :)

I think I would have to meet with a personal trainer, since in December I had my 4th knee surgery (it seems like those are never going to end) and there are some things I am still unable to do such as squats or anything like that. Plus I can no longer run, seems I may need to have a personal trainer or just keep reading what you are doing and what doesn't involve a lot of strain on the knees could be something that I do (I think the latter is cheaper)

I think I would have to meet with a personal trainer, since in December I had my 4th knee surgery (it seems like those are never going to end) and there are some things I am still unable to do such as squats or anything like that. Plus I can no longer run, seems I may need to have a personal trainer or just keep reading what you are doing and what doesn't involve a lot of strain on the knees could be something that I do (I think the latter is cheaper)

Thought about low impact exercise. Or maybe something like Light yoga or water aerobics could help you. I don't know but I know where we go there's a few disabled people that come in to workout. One I've seen is totally disabled from his core down but he still comes in to work the upper body as much as he can.

If its personal training then take a look around as some gyms will offer a free taster session for personal training which can give you a great insight into it and give you an idea of if its for you or not without spending the fortune! Also when you go for an induction at a gym I'm sure they could give you various exercises that wouldn't cause too much strain on your knees whilst still giving you a good workout and achieve your goals :)

Hello!! Have a lost about three stone now but really struggling with the last stone an half. So joined the gym three weeks ago and have been going most days. And actually really enjoying it!

Have you tried kettlebell classes? They really good if there is one in your gym.

Also I see you use the cross trainer and I try to to 25/30 mins on this on level 12 but it's says I should be reaching nearly 2km. I'm finding this impossible as at the moment I'm only gettin to 1.2km!! Are u finding ur machines setting target really high or am I jut really slow just now lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!! Have a lost about three stone now but really struggling with the last stone an half. So joined the gym three weeks ago and have been going most days. And actually really enjoying it!

Have you tried kettlebell classes? They really good if there is one in your gym.

Also I see you use the cross trainer and I try to to 25/30 mins on this on level 12 but it's says I should be reaching nearly 2km. I'm finding this impossible as at the moment I'm only gettin to 1.2km!! Are u finding ur machines setting target really high or am I jut really slow just now lol :)

Hey :)

I think it's quite surprising how much you really enjoy going to the gym, now I can't wait until I go to the gym and become really giddy and excited like a child :yahoo: I think the more you actually enjoy something, like exercise, the more you see yourself achieve your goals :)

I have done a bit of kettlebell workouts in what they call TRX and kettlebell class which I really enjoyed and was hoping to go again this week but when it was on I had migraine and was absolutely gutted! Hoping to go next week as I found it really helped get the muscles working n burning :)

The trainer machines are pretty good where I am, the only this that isn't exact is the calorie counter which I dont bother with anyway.

I think it's all averages unless you have put in a target time or distance etc. I wouldn't be too fussed about being too slow or anything just be happy at what you do achieve and work up from there. For instance if I set my target to a distance then the first time I just do as best as I can and then each time after, I will try and get my time down by a small amount each time which gives me a goal to work towards and an achievement when I manage to cut the time down :)

The cross trainers are great! Have you tried them going in reverse to what you normally do, targets your muscles slightly differently and you can feel it :)

Gym day 9 - Monday 25th February 2013

Right not been here to update this for a while so these next few days are going to look quite pants! But they were just as challenging!

10min warm up on treadmill - power walk

20min Interval training on treadmill - 2min @ 7km/h & 2min @ 12km/h

Plank holds 3 sets of 1min holds

Tricep dips 3 sets of 1min as fast as possible

Side plank dips 3 sets of 10 reps on each side

V-sit side twists with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20reps on each side

20 mins cross trainer - level 10, down by one level each minute for 10 mins and then repeated from level 10 in reverse direction

Gym day 10 - Wednesday 27th Feb 2013

10 min warm up on cross trainer

Pull down bar-

3 sets of 15 reps on laterals - 20kg

2 sets of 15 reps on triceps - 20kg

1 set of 15 reps on triceps - 25kg

2 sets of 15 reps on biceps - 25kg

1 set of 15 reps on biceps - 20kg

Leg press - 3 sets of 15 reps - 50kg

5km cycle - level 6 - 12:20mins

Sit ups - 2 sets of 10 reps

Sit ups with side to side twist - 1 set of 10 reps

Oblique twists - 3 sets of 20 reps

V-sit twists with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20 reps

Gym day 11 - Thursday 28th February 2013

10 min warm up on cross trainer level 6

Lisa Duffs Cardio Challenge -

Treadmill run - 3km - 9.5km/h - gradient 0.5% - 18:58min

Row - 1500m - level 10 - fast as possible - 7:02min

Cycle - 10km - level 5 - fast as possible - 24:33min

Arm bike - 3km - level 3 - fast as possible - 9:26min

Edited by siberian_wolf

Gym day 12 - Friday 1st March 2013

10 min warm up on cross trainer

20 min interval training on treadmill - 2 min @ 6.5km/h & 2 min @ 11.5km/h

Triceps dips - as fast as possible - using vibration plate

Plank hold - 3 sets of 1 min holds

20min v-core class

5min cool down walk on treadmill

• 2 weeks later...

omg its been a while!!! Quick update!

Gym Day 13 - Saturday 2nd March 2013

Warm up

5km cycle on level 8

2km Row level 8

10min side stepper, level 5

Captains chair, tucks and extensions - 3 sets of 6 reps and 3 sets of 10 reps (half tucks and hald extensions)

Chest press, 15kg - 3 sets of 15 reps

Pull down bar, 20kg - 3 sets of 15 reps on laterals, triceps and biceps

Leg press, 50kg - 3 sets of 15 reps

V-sit taps/twists, with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20 reps (20 reps on each side)

Vpr squats, 8kg vpr tube - 3 sets of 15 reps

Low Row, with 8kg vpr tube - 3 sets of 15 reps

Gecko legs - 3 sets of 10 reps on each side

20 mins on cross trainer level 8 - 10 mins in either direction

10 min coold down walk on treadmill, 5km/h gradient 5%

Gym Day 14 - Sunday 3rd March 2013

Warm up

20min interval training on treadmill - 2min at 6km/h and 2 min at 11km/h

2km row level 8

10min on stepper level 3

V-Sit taps/twists with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20 reps, each side

Vpr squats with 8kg vpr tube - 3 sets of 15 reps

Leg lunges with 8kg kettlebells - 3 lengths of gym mat floor (one length = length in both directions)

Sit ups - 3 sets of 10 reps

Gecko legs - 3 sets of 10 reps

reverse gecko legs - 3 sets of 10 reps

reverse crunch with straight legs - 3 sets of 15 reps

20 mins cross trainer level 8 (10 mins either direction)

Gym day 15 - Monday 4th March 2013

Warm up

10 mins Treadmill - 6.6km/h with 5% gradient

5km cycle, level 8

2km row level 8

10 min stepper, level 3

captains chair, tucks and extensions - 3 sets of 10 reps (5 tucks, 5 extensions)

Leg press, 50kg - 3 stes of 15 reps

10 mins treadmill - 6km/h and 5% gradient

10 mins cross trainer in reverse direction level 8

5 min cool down on cross trainer level 8 at steady pace

Gym day 16 - Wednesday 6th March 2013

Warm up

Captains chair, tucks and extensions - 4 sets of 10 reps (1 sets done between leg press and chest press)

2km Row, level 8

5km cycle, level 6

20 min interval training on treadmill - 2min 6.5km/h and 2 min 11.5km/h

V-sit taps/twists with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20 reps each side

Sit ups - 3 sets of 15 reps

Reverse gecko legs - 3 sets of 15 reps

Vpr squats, with 10kg vpr tube - 3 sets of 15 reps

Side plank dips - 3 sets of 15 reps

20mins cross trainer, level 8 - 10mins either direction (level 4 for last 5 mins)

Gym day 17 - Thursday 7th March 2013

Warm up

10min treadmill at 6.5km/h and 5% gradient

Chest press, 20kg - 3 sets and 15 reps

Captains Chair, tucks and extensions - 3 sets of 15 reps

Pull down bar, 25kg - 3 sets of 15 reps, laterals, triceps and biceps

V-sit taps/twists, with 4kg medicine ball - 3 sets of 20 reps

reverse gecko legs - 3 sets of 15 reps

Sit ups - 3 sets of 15 reps

Vpr squats, with 10kg vpr tube - 3 sets of 15 reps

Side plank lifts - 3 sets of 15 reps

Plank hold - 3 sets of 30 second holds

20 mins cross trainer level 8, 10 mins in each direction

10 mins treadmill, 5.5km/h - start at 5% gradient and moved up 1% gradient every minute

I have been to the gym everyday this week so far but havent noted what I did  :rolleyes: but I can tell you that Im going to enter Race for Life and plan to do my first 5k on Sunday 16th June 2013

Last night I started training by setting the treadmill to run 5km with 0% gradient and paced myself to 9.5km/h which is like a steady jog and managed it successfully and for the last 0.5km I increased my speed to 10.5km. I was sweating like a pig but its going to a good cause :)

Since joining the gym my confidence has been boosted alot and Im starting to see results :D I just wish that I could boost my confidence when it comes to talking to people face to face  :unsure: I may get to know a few people around here then, think that will be a working progress!