A Few Days In......

markquinton

Hi all

Well here are my findings along with questions which have come our of our first few days of owning our new 11 week old Mally pup:

1. She loves being with us at every opportunity and follows us every time we go to the kitchen.

2. She is doing reasonably well with her toilet training. We were originally doing well, then the following day she had a few accidents but then I realised I think I was giving her too much freedom. I've crated her a few times today to get used to it when required and her toilet training has returned to being good again.

3. She does nip a little but never to hurt and has quite good control of her biting strength.

4. She can be calm for a while and then all of a sudden she will have half hour where she steals everything, remote controls, food, toilet roll etc and will not listen at all. It's like her crazy time of day and she's noticeable different to the rest of the day. During this phase I cannot get her to drop whatever is in her mouth, be it my sleeve or an object. Is this normal? Even at this age she is very difficult to control when she wants to do something.

5. She just doesn't seem to see our 5 year old son as above her in the pack and is constantly jumping up to him on the sofa and trying to drink his drink and eat his food. Anything I can do about this?

6. She is getting on ok with the cats most of the time but will suddenly bark and jump around in front of them (possibly trying to play), in these situations it's hard to tell her to stop. Any advice to prevent her from doing this or should I just let the cat sort the issue (the cats are doing well and fighting their corner).

7. She is stubborn!

8. She is stubborn!

All in all she is doing very well for age and is very friendly, in such a few days she definitely know who her family are as when we have visitors she just comes and calmly sits by our chair and is not approaching people automatically.

Thanks

Mark

love number 7 and 8 LOL!!!

Sounds like she's doing great!

re number 5 - get your son to join in with the training, get him to help train her to sit and give a treat, this way your son will enjoy it and learn the rules and boundaries as well :) x

I think at this age you can start NILF. (Nothing in Life is Free). Googling it brings up tons of hits, but basically she doesn't get any reward (treats, pets, toys...whatever she likes) unless she does something for you first. This can be either a trick, or in your case, good behaviour.

Example: She wants to go outside? Have you, your son, and your (husband?) take turns to make her sit or wait for good behaviour (calm) before letting her go outside.

My boy is a dominant one, and I do the NILF method for everything: go outside, go inside, before and after walks, before food and water. If he's being a jerk, he doesn't get anything (no attention, either!).

Let's see if I can really do these in any kind of order:

1. That's to be expected, she's still a puppy and wants the comfort of mommy ( er, or daddy ... :) ).
  2. Too much freedom, in a relatively strange environment is apt to have that effect.  As she realizes that the house is her home, she'll make more of an effort to do the necessary where she should.
  3. Nipping is her way to play, as you said, but make sure you get that under control quickly.  She should not use her teeth on you unless it's by invitation (( Avalanche will grab me when we're playing, but "Enough!" let's him know that it's over. ))
  4. I'd be inclined to say that she's taking advantage of her puppy license. Is it normal? yeh, probably so; do you want to allow it, probably not. This is the stage where "let them do now what you're going to be willing to let them do when they're older"  Real quickly, I'd say that when she decides to do what she wants is time for a time out.
  5. This one could be rough ... in her mind, she probably recognizes him as a "puppy" as well.  I agree with Sarah, make sure that your son understands that there is a time for play and a time for not play and that he makes her understand that he decides when is appropriate.  Engage him to help with the training and she'll soon pick up on where he and she fall in the order of the pack.  Just as you have to set boundaries on what is acceptable, he does too.  (( And I be the first to acknowledge that "Stop!" in a squeaky 5 years old voice probably isn't going to sound too authoritative ))
  6. Cats ..... ooohhh, this could be bad or very good.  If the cats roam at large and she is learning to respect their turf then I'd let the cats handle it. Puppies who are raised with cats, generally learn to respect the cats claws quickly ... if she doesn't quickly then you're going to have to decide what you want to do.  Simply stated, in my opinion, if she doesn't learn to respect their turf quickly, you have an open invitation for a very bad situation (phrased politely).
  7. That's to be expected!
  8. Yep, sure is!
  9. (even though it's not numbered) That's excellent! A mally being a "big dog" needs to know when it's acceptable to engage in social interaction and when it's not.  That she comes and set by you is, as I said, excellent!

Sounds like you've really got a good start at a well behaved, well socialized friend.  Enjoy!!

Thanks Al.

With regards to the crazy time when she does what she wants (nipping, stealing and jumping) how should I discipline her, as she doesn't listen the only way I can stop her (say when she is jumping up at my son when he's eating or drinking, or when trying to play with the cats) is to physically take her to another room for a timeout. Is this correct? She will not listen so I don't know what the alternative is other than distract with a treat each time.

I think she will get loads better once her collar and lead arrive tomorrow in the post as she isn't being walked at present (11 weeks old) and seems like she desperately needs the exercise so she doesn't create her own activities.

I have told her 'No' everytime she nips and also tried turning my back and time out but nothing has made a huge difference. I take it as long as I carry on this stage will pass?

Sometimes during the day I absolutely love her and at other times she leaves me down and exhausted. I guess this is very normal!

Thanks

Mark

One thing I've done with Sasha that seems to have helped considerably - when she and I were really at wits end - I put her walking leash on her *in the house*, when she wouldn't listen I'd take the leash and literally remove her from the situation (( read that as "drag the dumb b*ch!" - well, okay not all that literally ))

I found that I absolutely had to have some way of getting her attention - and this did the trick for me.  Part of what makes it so effective, I think, is that as soon as you put some pressure on the leash the dog will look at you - the perfect time to reënforce the command.

In the case of her jumping up, it works well since you can step on the leash - if there's no slack, she can't jump ...

... and yes, there are times that Sasha is a great dog, and then there were times I'd have gladly given her to the first person who asked!!

edit:  I *do not* use the "distract with a treat routine".  In my book that's the same as rewarding bad behaviour.  Once I'm comfortable that I have distracted her (Sasha) and she's now doing what I want *then* I'll reward her for the now correct behaviour. But this, admittedly, falls into the "to each their own" category.

more editing:  Realize though that you're dealing with a puppy who may not respond as well or as quickly as my 3 year old did.