Protective Husky?

Nick Tillman

Hey guys,

Sorry to blow up the Forum with questions, but I had an interesting new experience today that I thought I'd share with you all.

First of all, I decided today to take Azzor to Petsmart with me for the first time, to pick out a new harness, toy, and some treats. All is fine and dandy. Then I drive over to my friends house. She has an English Bulldog there (Only 6 months old), that Azzor was meeting for the first time. All is well when they first meet, they sniffed each other and such and played about. So, I was sitting on the couch talking to my friend. Azzor was sitting between my legs, and I was scratching behind his ears. Wrigley, her bulldog, was sitting on her lap when he decided that he wanted to get some pets from me. So, he crawled over onto my lap. As soon as he got onto my lap Azzor did something I've never seen. He sat back a few and pinned his ears back, giving a few warning growls to Wrigley. I scolded him for this, and gave Wrigley back to my friend. I thought it was odd, but thought nothing more on it.

Then Catlin and I decide to go to Petsmart. We hop in the car, and both Wrigley and Azzor are fine, playing and licking each other the whole way there. We get to Petsmart and all is well, both of the dogs are acting quite well. They both got tons of pets and praise from Strangers, which Azzor loved. Even when they got close to me, he was all kisses of the hands. Some of the smaller dogs passed and Azzor was fine, just sniffing them and then they would both be on their merry way. But, I was picking out a toy for him and he had about 4 feet of lead between myself and him. All of the sudden, this man and his full grown black lab mixed with something to make it the size of a St Bernard round the corner into the aisle I was in. Azzor instantly leaped back to my side and sat on his haunches, giving a few warning barks to the dog.

The only thing I can take away from these two different experiences is that he might be protective of me? Is that a common thing in huskies? Also, why was it just the larger dog that he seemed to mind of, and the little dogs he payed little attention to, aside from when Wrigley was on my lap?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, and he's just being himself. I'm just not sure if it was anything I should be concerned of, or help train him on. Oh, perhaps I should explain as well, he was also raised in my home with another dog that is part Jack russel, part Australian shepard, and they are best friends. Koink, the Aussie/JR, sits on my lap some nights and watches tv with us and Azzor doesn't mind at all.

Sorry for the plethera of questions, just curious and wanted to know if anybody had any similar experiences! :D. Thank you!

Yeah sounds like he was being a bit too protective of you - my boys do something similar when i am petting one of them - it's mainly Koda - he pushes his way in and pushes the other one out to get fusses, but i push him away and carry on giving the other one attention,

if it happens again i'd stroke them both at the same time, if he continues i'd stop petting him altogether and focus on the other dog, then when he stops being grumpy THEN go to him and give him fuss x

Tuff will do the same thing when I try to pet other dogs.  There is a dog across the street that he always plays with and I can't even pet her.   He will place himself between us and bark at her.  When my brother was home for Thanksgiving he brought his dog and after a couple days he finally figured it was ok for me to pet her.  It must have been the serious talk I had with him about how the other dog doesn't mind her owner petting him.  

I agree with Sarah - definitely sounds like protective behaviour.

Suka isn't protective of me - he couldn't care less if I was petting another dog. He is leash aggressive...though it may just be a dominance thing though since he's only like that when the other dog postures.