Acana Food

king tyson

Hello everyone, I recently took my 17 months old Siberian husky to the vet and when she asked which type of food im feeding him I told her Orijen and she suggested i switch him out of it because its too high on protein, she recommended something like science diet. Now I went to my local pet store and I read and got different opinions for which type of food. I don't want my husky to lose weight so acana was the same ingredients as Orijen with 31% protein compared to Orijen 38%, so my question is how good is acana? And how much do you guys suggest I feed him, he's around 65 pounds?..also should I listen to the vet and get another good that's low on protein?..the things I was told from people at the pet store and I've read online is that Orijen and acana are the best food around because they are natural, the vet recommended science diet and I read the ingredients and didn't really seem natural, it had some wierd ingredients so I don't know if she is wrong.

Thanks guys

Do NOT go to Science Diet. It's one of the worst quality foods out there. I'd recommend you switch to another vet, too, if she's pushing that on you. I think they get a commission everytime they sell a bag of that 'stuff'.

Acana is a very good quality food (its also Canadian, so that's a plus!) :)

Personally, I feed my Suka Taste of the Wild (Pacific stream formula). I find he does wonderfully on it. I think it has 32% protein?

I believe Acana is slightly better than TOTW ingredients wise. The only reason why I'm feeding him TOTW is that no local stores here sell Acana. :(

Both Acana and TOTW are grain free - which is important especially for huskies because usually they can't tolerate grain in their food.

A 30lb of TOTW costs me around $78 (with tax, CAD) ...but it lasts me almost 3 months. My husky is 76 pounds.

I think I priced out Acana to be only a few dollars more.

We used to feed Vlad on Orjen  is a very good food is true is very high in proteins but if u do not work your dog just feed him a bit less. Acana is made at the same company..again is very good food . Now we are feed my two with Taste of the wild. As they do well on all this food we just change them to give them a variety...

I agree with both posts above.  But I especially agree not to feed Science Diet.  That food is simply over-priced and sub-par by my standards.

Ya I figure something was off when she recommended science diet, it's something about the ingredients didn't seem right..now how much would you guys suggest I feed my husky? He's 17 months 65 pounds, walks 2-3 times a day

They have efficient metabolisms so they don't nearly need as much as what the bag says!

I feed my boy 1.25-1.5 cups a day of TOTW (depending if he went to the dog park or not)- he seems to do well on it.

Mine's 8 years, 76 pounds, and walked once a day (50 minutes).

We originally fed Science diet to Cj....only because thats the food she was on when we adopted her. Once she got settled we switched to TOTW. Both our dogs do great on it. (Probably feed to much @ 2 cups a day to Cj & 1.5 cups to Ace)

I can't say I've seen Acana around here...but I would stick with what your currently feeding. On this occassion I would recommend ignoring your vet as others have also stated!

They have efficient metabolisms so they don't nearly need as much as what the bag says!

I feed my boy 1.25-1.5 cups a day of TOTW (depending if he went to the dog park or not)- he seems to do well on it.

Mine's 8 years, 76 pounds, and walked once a day (50 minutes).

You only feed him once a day?

i've thought about switching mine to Acana actually since Luka is about to be off puppy food. It's just as good of quality as Orijin but cheaper and less protein.

My vet is supposed to "recommend" science diet but he never does. he said totw, acana, or orijin are all great food choices.

*EDIT* oh and i feed Luka 2 cups a day of Fromms Gold Large Breed currently and he weighs 43 lbs but he's only 11 months so hopefully he will fill out some

Perhaps 2 cups per serving is too much...cause that would make 4 cups a day which I think would be too much. Try for 1 cup a serving and give him 2 servings a day. See how he does with that.

Here's the link you were asking for:

Yeah 4 cups is too much, I'm feeding 3 cups TOTW a day to my dogs that work in harness on a regular basis.  In the summer I can cut back to 1.5-2 cups daily.  Siberians are working dogs and do need a higher protein food for optimal balance and health.  I'm not at all surprised your vet endorsed Science Diet, since most vets get cut backs from SD.  Stay away from that filler loaded garbage food.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I know it sounds much but for some reason he eats it all and he's always hungry so ill cut him back to 1.5 cups per serving and see how he goes but so far he's doing well, he is a picky eater so I do the 15 minute drill some days he ignores one serving but it's not a big deal..thank you all for your help I will keep him with acana..