I Used To Live In Upstate New York

Removed #5

Now, my definition of Upstate is just a little different from that of people who live in NYC; to them anything north of the city seems to be upstate ... my definition is anything north of Syracuse.  But I'm off topic of my own non-Husky topic.

I've been asked a few times why I moved from the beautiful country of Upstate New York to Texas. 

My answer to that question follows:

post-5355-0-19134700-1360350734.png

I'm sitting here today in my T-Shirt and enjoying a stiff breeze ....

While the area I come from is:

post-5355-0-84974700-1360350747.png

Did you notice that the high today in AlexBay, NY (27) is much warmer than yesterday??

I moved down here in the spring of 78 when a late spring storm dumped 6 feet! of snow on Syracuse; since the area of northern NY that I come from gets lake effect snow ( moisture off the Great Lakes that gets deposited to the east of the Lakes ) and they seem to have a little storm going across now - I'm really glad I'm in the south!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family's experiencing that snow storm right now - sucks to be them!

Personally I couldn't stand the south - I like my 4 seasons!

Lucky you. We have only one: Rain  :mellow: Sometimes the rain stops for a few hours, that's what we call summer. Sometimes it falls down somewhat frozen for a few days. That's what we call winter.

My family's experiencing that snow storm right now - sucks to be them!   Personally I couldn't stand the south - I like my 4 seasons!   Lucky you. We have only one: Rain  :mellow: Sometimes the rain stops for a few hours, that's what we call summer. Sometimes it falls down somewhat frozen for a few days. That's what we call winter.
That sounds like here lol Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Better than where I lived in California. We had two seasons. Summer, and fire season. It never rains, never snows, our changes in weather range from sunny to mostly sunny. I joke with you not.

Yeah - that's why I'd never move to the south! It would be so boring! No winter snow storms to look forward too, can't see the change of colours in the autumn and smell the difference in air between the seasons...

Yeah - that's why I'd never move to the south! It would be so boring! No winter snow storms to look forward too, can't see the change of colours in the autumn and smell the difference in air between the seasons...

XD Yup. Check it.

100_0583_zps57bec2d2.jpg

This is my mom's house in the middle of December. Note the blooming roses and trees that still have leaves. That's because they never die. Ever. Our grass grows year round too. I'd never heard of it not in the winter until moving here.

And the bugs never DIE!  I would not like that.  

I am actually jealous of those in the northeast!  I want a big blizzard!!!!  I used to live in RI, and they are going to get around 2 feet of snow.  Meanwhile in Northern IN we have NOTHING!

XD Yup. Check it.

100_0583_zps57bec2d2.jpg

This is my mom's house in the middle of December. Note the blooming roses and trees that still have leaves. That's because they never die. Ever. Our grass grows year round too. I'd never heard of it not in the winter until moving here.

Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew.

Couldn't survive that. Bugs don't die. You need a deep freeze to kill all the evil little critters. :P

Plus - you couldn't tobaggan. Or won't be able to have snow ball fights. Or slip on ice and fall on your face. All the joys of winter.

I agree, I HATE bugs, especially spiders.  I will scream like a little girl if I see one.  And I bet they get HUGE there.  

And the joys of winter indeed!  Sliding all over the road, hitting potholes, the snot freezing in your nose, your eyebrows freezing, frostbite...

I agree, I HATE bugs, especially spiders.  I will scream like a little girl if I see one.  And I bet they get HUGE there.  

And the joys of winter indeed!  Sliding all over the road, hitting potholes, the snot freezing in your nose, your eyebrows freezing, frostbite...

Lol I've yet to have a good winter. Thanks for getting me so excited guys. :P And yes. The spiders..... the spiders..... they are pretty huge for their breed. D; But not so huge in comparison to spiders I've seen here that we don't have there. Also. Numerous black widows. Everywhere.

Lol I've yet to have a good winter. Thanks for getting me so excited guys. :P And yes. The spiders..... the spiders..... they are pretty huge for their breed. D; But not so huge in comparison to spiders I've seen here that we don't have there. Also. Numerous black widows. Everywhere.

Ugh, I am wigging out just thinking about them!  I can't even get close enough to kill them, Im usually screaming and running away lol.  

A couple years ago we had a good winter, had a 26" snow storm!

Checking on the weather in the northeast - man that looks nasty!  One of the comments on the Yahoo Weather article make me stop - hope you all like it as much as I did:

I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Michigan near the Great Lakes. He said that it has been snowing since early morning and is nearly waist high and still coming down hard. The temperature is dropping way below freezing and the wind from the lake is nearly gale force. His wife has done nothing but look through the kitchen window and stare. He said that if it gets any worse he may have to let her in.

Lucky you. We have only one: Rain  :mellow: Sometimes the rain stops for a few hours, that's what we call summer. Sometimes it falls down somewhat frozen for a few days. That's what we call winter.

Have to agree with Sara.. It's sounds basically like the northwest of England. That's why they stuck all the cotton mills here, its lovely damp atmosphere was beneficial for the spinning!!!!

One request Al.. Could you please put that in degrees Celsius as well as Fahrenheit ? Lol

For those of us who live in a decimalised nation and are totally confusticated when you mention the F word lol

you have to be difficult, don't you ... it's funny when you all give temps in C I pretty much know what the equivalent is ... but the other way 'round ... I'm as lost as you are.

Let's see 70F should be in the mid 20's C and the 7F is just plain cold ... now to go cheat!

Okay, 70f = 20c; 7f is -14c ( which is still just plain cold! )

Actually a long time back I learned:

minus anything C is cold

0 - 10 is real chilly

11 - 20 is temperate

20 - 30 is warm ( or according to some people hot )

30 and over is HOT!

and right now I'm setting at a real nice 86f ( or 30.1c )  and with the wind blowing it's a real nice day out!

you have to be difficult, don't you ... it's funny when you all give temps in C I pretty much know what the equivalent is ... but the other way 'round ... I'm as lost as you are.

Let's see 70F should be in the mid 20's C and the 7F is just plain cold ... now to go cheat!

minus anything C is cold

0 - 10 is real chilly

11 - 20 is temperate

30 and over is HOT!

and right now I'm setting at a real nice 86f ( or 30.1c )  and with the wind blowing it's a real nice day out!

minus anything C is cold

0 - 10 is real chilly

11 - 20 is temperate

30 and over is HOT!

Yeah sorry, but then I'm a woman. ie: awkward lol I get the long time back stuff :/ it's the F stuff I'm struggling with. I know -14C is flippin Freezin lol. Then again, it depends on the type of cold, dry or damp. When I was in anchorage I had skirt boot tshirt an denim jacket on in march!

I don't know why we never switched to metric system. Most of the world uses it and I think it's much easier than ours but I still have to convert it online lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because in the eyes of the powers that be "We're America so that makes US right!"

Spending as much time overseas as I did, I had to pick up the basics of metrics out of self defense.  "Go 8 clicks down this road ...." yeh, right!!  (That's 5 miles, btw)

I think most of our cars are metric now ... it'd be so much easier on us, in the long run, if we would just do it ... but then everyone over 30 would be bitching about having to learn something "new".

minus anything C is cold

0 - 10 is real chilly

11 - 20 is temperate

30 and over is HOT!

Anything above 25°C for a minimum of 5 days is classified as a heatwave here. In fact, a day with temperatures above 30°C is called a tropical day. When that happens, nobody stops talking about it. Says a lot about our usual weather, lol.

california is on the west coast def not the real "south". we have four seasons here