I Used To Live In Upstate New York

Removed #5

Because in the eyes of the powers that be "We're America so that makes US right!"

Spending as much time overseas as I did, I had to pick up the basics of metrics out of self defense.  "Go 8 clicks down this road ...." yeh, right!!  (That's 5 miles, btw)

I think most of our cars are metric now ... it'd be so much easier on us, in the long run, if we would just do it ... but then everyone over 30 would be bitching about having to learn something "new".

That's true...people don't like change. Some are even scared of it.

I know - how about you teach the metric system in schools as well as the imperial system. Then, eventually you can fade out the imperial system...

you have to be difficult, don't you ... it's funny when you all give temps in C I pretty much know what the equivalent is ... but the other way 'round ... I'm as lost as you are.

Let's see 70F should be in the mid 20's C and the 7F is just plain cold ... now to go cheat!

Okay, 70f = 20c; 7f is -14c ( which is still just plain cold! )

Actually a long time back I learned:

minus anything C is cold

0 - 10 is real chilly

11 - 20 is temperate

20 - 30 is warm ( or according to some people hot )

30 and over is HOT!

and right now I'm setting at a real nice 86f ( or 30.1c )  and with the wind blowing it's a real nice day out!

Actually, that depends if the climate is humid or not. Back home, where it is very humid, I can tell you that

0-10 C feels more like -15 - 20 C.

Bone chilling - the cold seeps down to your bones and its hard to keep warm even with a winter coat rated at -40 C

And that anything over 25 C is so hot, so humid, that its hard to breathe.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish i knew the metric system. sometimes the US is so stupid. i know parts of it but i have to cheat to know what i'm talking about. :)

mississippi weather is annoying. It will be 70F one day then the next day its 28F. My sinuses are always messed up because of the back and forth weather. it never makes up it's mind!!!

That's true...people don't like change. Some are even scared of it.

I know - how about you teach the metric system in schools as well as the imperial system. Then, eventually you can fade out the imperial system...

<< snipped >>

They've been teaching the metric system for years in a lot of schools ... the problem is that it isn't used so the kids don't think about it as a "real system" so it never gets used.

i wish i knew the metric system. sometimes the US is so stupid. i know parts of it but i have to cheat to know what i'm talking about. :)

mississippi weather is annoying. It will be 70F one day then the next day its 28F. My sinuses are always messed up because of the back and forth weather. it never makes up it's mind!!!

I agree!  It isn't that we don't use the metric system, it is the fact that we use a hybrid of both systems, which makes it even more confusing.  I prefer metric because everything is in multiples of 10.  Although the "standard" system is more detailed.

I agree!  It isn't that we don't use the metric system, it is the fact that we use a hybrid of both systems, which makes it even more confusing.  I prefer metric because everything is in multiples of 10.  Although the "standard" system is more detailed.

exactly! we mix both systems!

lol ehhh california climate is way different and much nicer than over here :) all i think of when i hear cali is west coast

I suppose. XD I just know that when we were in Texas I didn't notice too big a change in climate. Then again the climate of Cali varies greatly just depending on location. If we went 20 miles in either direction it was either way colder or way hotter. I lived in the desert, so yeah, it stayed pretty hot.