Longest You Crated Your Dogs For

Jay

I'm wondering what's the longest amount of time your dogs have been crated for at one time. I am taking Nikko for a meet tomorrow that's an hour and a half away and i am not taking Yukon because he gets so car sick :(. So I thought about daycare but the only place close to me closes at 2 so u would have to board him overnight. The daycare that is open late is a half hour away so I thought about taking him there but he would still puke all the way there. So I would be leaving around 10am and coming back around 4-5. So he would be in the crate for a max of 7 hours. The longest he has ever been crated is 5 hrs. I would give him his walks and make sure he has enough toys and stuff, but do you think 7 hrs is too long for an 8 month old? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here lately, as Hurley has been on antibiotics, I have had to keep her crated to contain any mess she must make (which she hasn't messed her crate yet) while I am away. She has been crated for up to 10 hours, which I absolutely despise. But because I am renting, I have to keep her from ruining the carpets.

That's a relief!  I was worried about leaving him in his crate for too long.  I plan on walking him before we leave and feeding him, and Ithought about putting him in Nikko's crate since it is bigger.  Yukon is not high energy anyway, so I think he would be fine.  I am sure he would be happier in the crate than suffereing through a car ride and puking his brains out!

Chula was crated 7 hours once. Not by choice. She did fine though it took a lot of playing to tire her out. She didn't mess her crate though I felt terrible. Also at night she has stayed in her crate for 7 hours before crying though usually she asks to go out after 5 hours or so.

That's good, I do feel better about it.  Yukon used to sleep in his crate now he is in my bed, and it's not like he spends that much time in the crate.  Like I said he would much rather spend it in the crate than face a long car ride!

mine are crated at night from 10pm till 7am.

During the day I have a rule where we try not to have them crated more than 5 hours max.

When we go on holiday and we take the kids somewhere like a castle or something we plan around the dogs, leaving them for as little as possible.

This includes travelling to where the attraction is.

Last holiday we went to a caves and we had a strict plan of what time we had to leave to get back to the caravan in time for the dogs. And the dogs had a walk before and after also.

we would love to go back to alton towers but it just wont be possible with having the dogs now.

i think the thing to remember is, you crate them at night for say 9 hours at night. If you crate them for 8 hours in the day also then thats 17 hours out of 24 hours in one day that they are spending in their crate.

Its not going to be a regular thing so i think as a one off it is fine like i said i have done it a couple of times the longest time was 9 hours i think when i did my snowboarding in a day course and they were fine had a walk before and toys etc so i wouldn't worry to much but then i know everyone is different and has different views on crates :) I wouldn't want to do it every day but it wont hurt them every now and then :)

i think the thing to remember is, you crate them at night for say 9 hours at night. If you crate them for 8 hours in the day also then thats 17 hours out of 24 hours in one day that they are spending in their crate.

Actually they are not crated at night, only while I am not home.  They sleep with me :)