Are There People Who Dont Crate Puppies?

Chula

How does it work? How do you stop them from peeing everywhere and eating everything? I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Chula could be left unattended for longer than 20 minutes out of her crate without my house being destroyed and drenched in doodoo.

We've never crated Kodiak.

We used puppy training pads and once he got the hang of them, he used them until he was fully house trained.

With the chewing, make sure there's plenty of other things she can chew on.  We tried the sprays which didn't work.  In the end, we wiped washing up liquid around the place and that stopped the chewing.

He only really chewed when he was teething.

we used to only give Kodiak access to the kitchen when on his own or at night.  now he has access to the hallway, kitchen and first floor when we're not around.  

Edited by RJS

aw, she is only 11 weeks old, it may take a little while for her to totally understand what you want of her or what is expected of her, but keep at it, they are very quick learners. I only had 1 of mine from a puppy & she took less than 2 weeks to be totally ok for longer periods of time, but each one is different. Don't try & rush it & don't tell her off, she is still learning but she will pick it up, xx

As my OH has already said we did use puppy pads for Kodiak but only for mopping up the accidents as we couldn't leave them down because he used to love shredding them :rofl: He has always had a Kong stuffed with various bits and pieces when we leave the house and now he has access to another floor he has one on each. I don't think we will let him have complete access to all the floors of the house but he doesn't seem too bothered by it and settles really well now either in the kitchen flopped on his toys or by the front door flat on his back!

post-8737-0-47527400-1360535067_thumb.jp

Oh I'm not upset with her, I know she's a baby still. I was just wondering how people do it! She does great in her crate. We got rid of all throw rugs though because she seems to love peeing on them. I can be standing three feet from her scrubbing a toilet, turn around and there's piddle on the bathmat.

I left her alone, uncrated for about 15 minutes yesterday just to see what would happen. Came back in and she was chilling in her crate. I think she was confused. :-)

I can't imagine what would happen if I left Nikko out of his crate.  He would chew up everything.  I have to make sure to hide everything just to go to the bathroom!  I don't see me ever leaving them out of their crate. They don't mind the crate so why mess with a good thing lol

My bookcase is now home to lost things. She has managed to seek out and find all the things I've lost over the last few years, for the sole purpose of destroying them. I manage to get them from her grip, and to the bookcase they go. It's now full of headbands, power cords, phone chargers, flashlights, and instruction booklets for every electric device I have ever owned. 

... and I've never used crates.  With puppies I've always had them where they can't do any harm ( to themselves or other things ) and accept the fact that until they learn to go outside, momma or I are going to have to clean up after them.

This also falls into the category - when I'm not at home, my dogs are either on lead outside or possibly with Sasha inside ( er, if they aren't with me, of course ) and I've never had enough damage to anything to be concerned about it.  Avalanche, out of the blue, one day decided he was going to nibble on the lever of my recliner - an "uh-uh!, I don't think so!" and he left, and left it alone.  Sasha, to my knowledge, has never tried to chew on anything that I didn't give her.  They have a couple of ropes ( the kind with knots in the ends ) that they play with but that's about it for toys.

My one bone of contention with Avalanche is that he likes to dig! So my front yard looks like it's been bombed! But, again, it's no big deal ....

Just mildly off the topic of crates ... but my two cents worth.

I tried crate training Cally when she first came home but she lived with my boyfriend (at his parents) and I didn't live here at the time (now do) so no one was following through with crating her. In the end, she was just allowed free roam of the whole house whenever we went out which was never and still isn't very long 2-4 hours tops and when she was a puppy no more than half an hour I would say. But the key to having a husky that doesn't destory stuff is making sure they are a tired husky. Lots and lots of exercise!! Tires them right out!! Only time Cally has ever chewed anything was the bottom of the leather sofa (underneath) when she was a pup and she was scolded and never did it again. And then the power cord to a lamp but that was because she had a week with minimal exercise (spay) and she was a bored huskyy lol. So all in all it is possible, just depends on the dog. I personally would have kept Cally crate trained if I had of had the opportunity though.

Suka was never crate trained. I don't know how that worked as a puppy (he's a rescue), but it works with our lifestyle.... 90% of the time somebody is always home. That other 5% we take him to a doggy daycare place, ask a friend to look after him, goes in to my dad's office for the day (he's usually a good boy), or he comes with us on car rides (weather and temp permitting).

We didn't even though I wanted to. Now we have the crate but we don't really use it. Ghost has access to hallway only after a couple of incidents with torn stuff and accidents. Even if we had dog gate up so he wouldn't get near door (three times torn already), he would just jump over it. Now when we leave he's in the crate but everytime we return he's just behind the door. :) Took a lot of time though!