How Clean/dirty Is Your Home?

Chula

I usually keep a pretty clean house, but having a puppy has certainly made it a challenge! Shoes get thrown in laundry baskets as she discovers them for chewing purposes, things get picked up and randomly stored on bookshelves, there is puppy toy stuffing strewn about, (unused!) plastic poop bags in a wad by the door, squeaky things under tables and chairs...

And every time I try to pick one thing up, she has found a way to make a new mess. So do you try and keep it clean? Or give up and accept that your house has been doggiefied.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, just wait until the shedding!  Or the coat blow!  You are in for a surprise LOL.

I WAS a neat freak.  I wanted everything clean all of the time.  I haven't given up, but I had to adjust my standards.  All of my furniture is black, end table, coffee table, dining room table, computer desk, DVD cabinet, shelves, TV stand, couch, bedroom set...

I cannot keep up with the amounts of fur they loose!  It is way worse than I ever thought.  I dust and vacuum every 2-3 days and it is not even close to being enough!

And of course the toys, everywhere!  They have a plastic container they go in so I try to keep them in the box.  They have learned to take them out, but they have yet to learn to put them back!

So I have given up to an extent and just gotten used to the fact that my house will never be clean for more than 10 minutes.

I am anxiously awaiting the blowing of coat. I have had super sheddy cats in the past, so I am used to regular shedding and hair being everywhere - but from everything I've seen on the interwebs, the coat blowing is a sight to behold. I have hardwood so I'm hoping that will make it easier to clean up flying hair wads!

We have a small house that needs A LOT of work done to the floors...so some rooms don't have carpet... the joys of buying a house that's 100 years old and was lived in HARD. We have hardly anywhere to put things, so I've had to become some kind of organizational genius to figure it out.

However, I'm a stay-at-home-wife, so I have a little routine I do while I'm cooking... I clean the house. I broom the floor, sweep what little carpet we do have (we have area rugs), straighten things up, and febreeze everything. (My husband is one of those people who loves dogs, but hates a house smelling like dog...and our friends have two very untrained dogs who own their house...)

I also have an untidy hubby... he likes to leave things wherever they are, not pick up after himself... and his idea of putting his laundry away in his dresser is "Stuff and Wad" lol

I like to think I have a clean house... my parents keep a very clean house so I try to one-up them...even though our house is a "Work-in-progress" type of thing.

My husbands barn/garage/auto shop is a WHOLE other story.

It's funny, I've lived with my boyfriend (I never know what to call him, we've been together for 8 years but neither one of us is itching to get married, though we both consider ourselves engaged I guess?) for 7 years and he is pretty clean - except he is absolutely incapable of folding/putting away laundry! It will sit in a laundry basket or piled up on the guest room bed until I do it, or until we've essentially worn everything and it's back in the dirty pile.

What is it with men and laundry?! 

It's funny, I've lived with my boyfriend (I never know what to call him, we've been together for 8 years but neither one of us is itching to get married, though we both consider ourselves engaged I guess?) for 7 years and he is pretty clean - except he is absolutely incapable of folding/putting away laundry! It will sit in a laundry basket or piled up on the guest room bed until I do it, or until we've essentially worn everything and it's back in the dirty pile.

What is it with men and laundry?! 

My husband, Axel, is pretty clean for the most part too. He works on trucks and construction equipment at work all the time, so his clothes never stay clean, and neither do his hands or arms. I guess he has true "man hands".

Just so you know, I tried the whole "I am not going to clean this house anymore" bit with him and it didn't work. He didn't catch on to it... lol. He does things when I ask him too... but there was a time when we went around and around about cleaning. He wasn't a spoiled child, but he grew up where his Mom cleaned the house and he did farm chores or outside chores...so it doesn't necessarily occur to him that he should clean the kitchen after he cooks.

But I guess it's those little things that make him who he is. I am just glad I will never have to take our vehicles somewhere ELSE to be worked on and pay a million dollars for service, or pay someone to fix our house or do things to it... he knows how to do those things. So no matter how dirty he is, I'm still always going to be greatful.

And we were together a year and 4 months before we got married...and we're going on 4 years of being married this year in September...it's been rocky...but I love him :)

Hahaha he definitely won't do it even if I leave it sit there for a month. He claims he "doesn't know how" to fold laundry.  :rolleyes:   <_<  He will do dishes and sweep and clean toilets so I am pretty happy about that, even though he does grumble while doing it. 

I wish he knew how to fix cars though! That would be awesome. 

Hahaha he definitely won't do it even if I leave it sit there for a month. He claims he "doesn't know how" to fold laundry.  :rolleyes:   <_<  He will do dishes and sweep and clean toilets so I am pretty happy about that, even though he does grumble while doing it. 

I wish he knew how to fix cars though! That would be awesome. 

I have an OCD when it comes to folding... especially towels. So I gave him a little tutorial. LOL.

The hair is unbelievable...I have had two chows at one time and them COMBINED had NOTHING on Rolyx. I have never experienced SO much hair and not just when he's blowing...year round. I brush him nearly every day and I'll vacuum entire house and be so proud of myself afterwards...but that feeling fades super fast, because he's going to fill it back up. I don't even want to imagine the areas I can't get under, like my dresser...I stick the vacuum hose under and try to get what I can, but I KNOW when that day comes and it has to be moved...people are going to think a dog died under there. lol 

When do husky puppies start their shedding usually? She's 12 weeks tomorrow and I brush her daily with a zoom groom and a couple times a week a slicker brush (as much as she lets me without going into dramatic hysterics) to get her used to being brushed, but pretty much nothing comes off her yet. A few hairs here and there, that's it.

My house at this point in time is DESTROYED!!! Thanks to Balto who has a contest to see how long it takes him destuff and desqueak a toy. However, I am also in college, work, volunteer, etc. So I am NEVER home and when I am it is usually studying, puppy class, working with Balto on command, making and eating dinner, walking him, more studying. My fiance helps a TON but that is usually so I can study my head off, so right now it is destroyed. However, during breaks from school I spend all my time cleaning my house. Of course it is not destroyed to the point there are lots of things on the floor Balto can chew on that would kill him etc. Just laundry stacked high as well as dishes, bed not made, his toys everywhere, cat toys in her room everywhere, the usual

Our house isn't as "organized" as I'd like it to be...but I wouldn't consider it a mes either. We vaccuum as often as needed. All paws are wiped after being outside. We've added a few things to the cleaning list...but it only adds a couple hours a week. :D

Ohh and by the way....I'm a guy and I do ALL the laundry at our house! (made the mistake of saying I don't know how to do laundry...I've been doing it ever since) :(

tidy house with two huskys :rofl::D:rofl::D:rofl: am still tryin years on how thay get the dogfood from the kitchen to the bathroom without me seeing and hiding cookies in me slippers and i swear thay know a week in advance when somebody is cumin and plot against me   and please someone remind me whot a clean window looks like :rofl::pawprint: :pawprint: :D:pawprint: :pawprint: :rofl:

sigh... i am a clean freak and i'm starting to give up... my bathroom and bedroom floors are currently stamped with little muddy pawprints due to Luka swimming in the mud everytime we go out! i've been trying to let the rain pass before i go and clean it all. lol

i do dust and vacuum at least every 2 days though and we keep the kitchen pretty clean.

my dogs are the worst about leaving toys out everywhere. i bought a basket to store in and they never put them back. lol

Our brown carpet is usually white.. 

2m6l7uv.jpg

I usually i don't let it get this bad but when all three girls are blowing their coats it gets this bad quick.

My family (including myself) is very untidy and we leave things everywhere. I think we dust like 5 times a year max, i try to keep up with vacuuming. The kitchen floor has muddy paw prints all over it and the house smells like cat piss...our cats like to pee everywhere...

Every time I feel like my house is untidy, I watch a couple episodes of Hoarders (not Animal Hoarders though, that show makes me cry)...and it motivates me right quick to declutter and throw stuff away. I have hoarding tendencies (not garbage, but stuff) so I have to stay on top of it or I find I have three years of Bon Appetit magazines sitting in a pile that I've never once looked at since the day they came in the mail! 

I am anxiously awaiting the blowing of coat. I have had super sheddy cats in the past, so I am used to regular shedding and hair being everywhere - but from everything I've seen on the interwebs, the coat blowing is a sight to behold. I have hardwood so I'm hoping that will make it easier to clean up flying hair wads!

I find hardwood floors harder to keep clean.  At least my carpet hides the fur, not the floors too!

And Yukon is just now starting to shed alot, and he is almost 8 months. Nikko started earlier, around 4-5 mos tho

I find hardwood floors harder to keep clean.  At least my carpet hides the fur, not the floors too!

And Yukon is just now starting to shed alot, and he is almost 8 months. Nikko started earlier, around 4-5 mos tho

But at least with hardwoods, the hair is gathered on the edges of the walls... easier to sweep ;)

^^^ That's my hope! I know it would be easier to hide in carpet, but for actual cleaning, I'm hoping the hardwoods will make it easier because it won't get stuck or matted into carpet fibers. With my cats, no matter how many times I vacuumed, there was always a butt ton of hair waiting deep down in the carpet to attack my freshly dry cleaned suits if I got down to give the kitties a morning rub.