Husky Given To Family For Free And Now I Don't Know Where They Are :(

Teo27

Hello everyone I need your help and advice please. I am 22 years old and got my Husky 2 years ago (bought him for $900) as a pup, had him for a year and he was a lot of work and i didn't mind any of that but unfortunately with me transferring to LA, I didn't feel it was the right decision to leave him with my parents since they would barely watch over him or take him for runs. I couldn't take him to LA with me because my place didn't allow dogs and so that was when I decided to give him away. I searched for a family who said they would be good for him and all I cared was that he would be with good people, so much that I decided to give him away for free in exchange for updates about him. He was like a little brother to me so those updates meant much more than selling him. The family updated me for the first 6 months and then they randomly stopped, it wasn't like i texted them daily. I would text them once every month and they would send me pictures and then I found their facebook and sent them a message and they just ignore me. My dog was VERY energetic and am thinking either they got tired of him or something happened to him, it doesn't take more than a minute to send a text saying that he's fine. I read somewhere online that since I dind't sign any papers and they didn't either that he is technically mine still, I have the certificate of ownership that he came with. What should I do? All I want to know is that he's fine and if that family has sold him to someone else then I would definitely take him back, I moved to a bigger place in LA with friends that I met and I can take care of him now. I would never think of doing this if I knew everything was fine but I don't feel like it is. Suggestions please. I should clarify that I have a hint of where they are but I don't know what I would do once am there, could I just take him back?

Teo, I have to agree with Lebe here.  The operative phrase in your message was that "you gave them the dog", since you have nothing in writing you basically have no recourse.  Since you're texting them, I might suggest a phone call and see if they tell you what's going on but I personally wouldn't put a lot of hope in that.  You also don't say where you came from - would it be a two week trip to go there or just a few hours? 

I'm one who likes to make sure that in a confrontation the "law enforcement" people are on my side, what you might want to do since you say you know where they are, is to call the local PD (( assuming this isn't NYC or ChiTown )) and ask them if they'd informally take a look and see how he's doing.  If you explain things to them and have the cert of ownership in hand then they might be willing to help you get him back if things aren't going well with the new owners.

Teo, I have to agree with Lebe here.  The operative phrase in your message was that "you gave them the dog", since you have nothing in writing you basically have no recourse.  Since you're texting them, I might suggest a phone call and see if they tell you what's going on but I personally wouldn't put a lot of hope in that.  You also don't say where you came from - would it be a two week trip to go there or just a few hours? 

I'm one who likes to make sure that in a confrontation the "law enforcement" people are on my side, what you might want to do since you say you know where they are, is to call the local PD (( assuming this isn't NYC or ChiTown )) and ask them if they'd informally take a look and see how he's doing.  If you explain things to them and have the cert of ownership in hand then they might be willing to help you get him back if things aren't going well with the new owners.

Yea unfortunately I did give them the dog. It was all done over the phone, I told them the reason I don't want money for the dog is because I wanted to be updated. I have all his papers since he was born and his certificate of ownership that has my name on it. I live two and a half hours from the people who have him. Yea i will definitely try and contact the PD, if they tell me everything is fine then everything would stay as it is. Thanks for the help.

Just another viewpoint....

While your agreement was a verbal one over the phone,  you state you'd been texting back and forth. Depending upon what was said and how it was stated, those texts could be evidence in your favor; or in theirs, legally.

Was there any conversations (either verbally or through texting) that they would have to return the husky to you if things didn't work out?

As was previously suggested, a discussion with someone in the field of law would be the best place for you to begin. 

That said, I hope this all works out for you........

Just another viewpoint....

While your agreement was a verbal one over the phone,  you state you'd been texting back and forth. Depending upon what was said and how it was stated, those texts could be evidence in your favor; or in theirs, legally.

Was there any conversations (either verbally or through texting) that they would have to return the husky to you if things didn't work out?

As was previously suggested, a discussion with someone in the field of law would be the best place for you to begin. 

That said, I hope this all works out for you........

Thank you for this comment, i just bought a recovery texting software and found a text where I specifically tell her about the deal of always keeping me updated and she agrees to it and that i'll give it to her if she says she will do that. Thank you for your concern.