Do You Run Your Own Company?

Marc

Been having thoughts over the past few weeks now about the skills that I have myself and whether or not I should be using them to start a company of my own. So with that it started me looking around and different websites, looking at what others have done already to see what ideas I could come up with and to be honest, just to see whether it was actually viable for me to do so or not.

So my question is do you run your own company? If so, is it a part time thing or do you also work full time/part time in addition to it.

If you run your own company and do not work for someone else, how did you make that transition?

Im honestly curious as to other peoples experiences whether they be good or bad.

I run my own company. I do Portrait Photography. I have a Sole Proprietorship.

The transition was easy...I quit my slave labor job and decided to put my skills to the ultimate test and was successful at it. Although, this time of year, is kind of slow for me. Working for myself is easy. When I have work to do, i.e. edit photos, backups, etc, I work from 9-5, and then have me time. I also don't work on Sundays. I spend those with my husband.

The part that is scary is dealing with B*tchy clients... that's why I don't photograph weddings anymore. Brides are horrible.

As long as you have good self-motivation and set goals for yourself, it's easy. My first goal was to file for my DBA (Doing Business As) Certificate, get my Michigan Sales Tax License, and then to promote myself. I also wanted to remain small, so I wouldn't have to deal with much more scary taxes...

I work for my own company, it started out working with a partner but he could not be trusted with monies so I kept going on my own...the only problem I find is that I miss the banter with co-workers otherwise I would not change a thing...also working from home means no traffic jams etc...LOL

I work for my own company, it started out working with a partner but he could not be trusted with monies so I kept going on my own...the only problem I find is that I miss the banter with co-workers otherwise I would not change a thing...also working from home means no traffic jams etc...LOL

I worked for a store that had all girl employees, including me, and I couldn't stand it! So MUCH DRAMA!!! lol

But I use Facebook now, when I work from home, for my "outside connection". Or I have conversations with my pets...

You know Jamie does and although its tough (almost impossible at times) but he's still going today after 7 years or so! I think skills wise, the more experience you have in the field you going into the better. You need to know what target you want to achieve and keep going for it no matter what. Expect to work work work and when you think of sleep you need to work some more. Things take time, sometimes weeks, months and even years so never expect things to work instantly.

I'm sure if you wanted some tips, you can text or phone Jamie, I'm sure he'd give you some tips

I worked for a store that had all girl employees, including me, and I couldn't stand it! So MUCH DRAMA!!! lol

But I use Facebook now, when I work from home, for my "outside connection". Or I have conversations with my pets...

I have my Di to talk to all day and the dogs but also important watch HO all day long as well....

yep :D But i dont know if Im the sort of business owner you want to hear from as I don't earn enough to support a house, OH brings in the main money and my money is just extra

How many hours I do depends on how business is going at the time, so far this month I'm really busy so putting in a good few hours a day, other times it's really quiet and I don't need to spend half as much time on the sewing machine! But I guess you could say I'm always promoting as I'm always on forums and FB, uploading pictures of orders, adding things to the website etc etc. The more online presence I have the more orders I get so I do try and make myself available online as much as I can. But I dont count it as 'work', because its what i'd be doing anyway!

I left my part time job in the chippy to make more time for Indi-Dog, but if I wasn't so lazy I could have done both, I just couldnt be arsed :D

TBH I don't know that I could go back to working for someone else, I love being my own boss! Having someone on my back all the time would drive me mad now! Though I do miss the social side of 'going to work', I used to work in a chippy so knew the regulars and was chatting all night, so it does seem a little lonely at times. But on the other hand now I can arrange to meet friends whenever I want instead of planning it around work, now I plan work around my (rather quiet) life :)

With what you do I think you could have a really successful business, I know my website has improved business by nearly 100% looking at last years accounts! And you could probably get away with charging a fair amount more than you do atm if you could shorten the time it takes to be completed

I don't have my own company but mum does - she has the pub and I can honestly say if I knew then what I know now I would have told her to stay clear - TBH I think it's the trade of pubs that is dying out a bit, trade is slow at the moment and as there is next to no cash flow its difficult, to advertise it cost money but unless there are people in the bar we don't have the money to spend :( I am currently sat doing December and January's accounts and they are crap - we are running at a loss and have been for some time (party due to being screwed over by the brewery) Transition wise- mum wasn't working when she took on the pub so for her she didn't have to juggle 2 jobs or take as big a leap of faith (my dad works full time and earns enough to pay the bills etc) Comparing the pub trade agains what you do is totally different I'm guessing yours is internet based and can therefore set your own working hours for eg mum will be up at 8am cleaning the pub, open at 11am and not move from behind the bar till gone midnight - all while juggling bits of paperwork, orders, punters etc. so for her it's pretty much 2 jobs anyways lol, my OH works for mum in the kitchen and my sister helps out when it's busy, dad gives mum some time off at weekends when he isn't at his full time job and I do all the accounts, ringing the gas company etc lol - it's a very "family" business. Hope this helps Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My other half owns a coffee shop. It's a great place all homemade cake etc and the coffee is really nice and roasted by his brother. It does do very well but as he got given the business with all it's debt he is still paying it all off. But Tom is getting there, even though just bought a new coffee machine for 13,000 ouchhhhh so that has really set him back but should pay off....... Howewwwwever its such hard work he is out at 7am and back at 8pm and has a day off a week and that's it. In my 4 years with him the most time off we have had is 3 days!!! It's a bit poo as I'm a teacher so I'm off in the holidays when he is at his busiest :( but hopefully will be worth it in the end:)

My daughter does, she started her business when she was 26 years old, and is doing very well. She has extremely high standards and a great work ethic, and she makes sure that everyone around her is the same. Her husband has just completed his MBA and is now studying for his auditors certification, but in his spare time he works for her, and he says she is tough :-)

When you work for yourself, you can make time for yourself, but when everyone goes home at the end of the day, more often than not, you will still be there.

The trick is to have the vision to see where there is a gap in the market, and fill it ...........

I also work from home, but on a small scale, Monty says I don't work, I play ........ and then sell my toys :-)

I have A LOT of respect for those that have started there own business.  I don't own one but started from the ground floor with two guys that did.  WOW...LOTS of long hours and hard work were put into the business by the co-owners in the beginning.  More than me and I was putting in lots of overtime.  The business is VERY successful now but has definitely been a learning experience.  

I don't run my own company but my Dad does. He said it is REALLY hard to get going - him and Mom had to bring in glass bottles from neighbour's recycling bins for a few extra bucks every week just so they could feed themselves.

He works regular hours during the day - plus he goes back at night to prepare for the next day. So - long work week. His staff can be a pain in the butt - always bugging him for raises even though some of them are paid more than he pays himself - he jokes he's really running a daycare centre because he has to breakup disagreements and he has to decide who gets to work with who on a project!

Though - the good thing is that he can schedule his own vacation time, and he can choose to come in late if he had a hard time sleeping the night before.

A member of staff left his office a year ago to 'start her own business'. She hasn't had any success, though - it takes a special kind of person to put up with all the crap!!

I dont now but i was a self employed hairdresser for three years the start up was expensive and i didn't start making any money for quite a long time and the hours were extremely long i worked 6 days a week for over a year at about 12 hours a day! I loved the freedom though of if i wanted to have a day off i could etc but you have to think about if you want time off... you aren't getting paid for it! 

I would say go for it if you can though Marc but perhaps start off doing part time with that and your other job then if it picks up you can always move onto full time with it :) 

My partner has his own company, he offers first aid training, conflict management, fire awareness and diversity and equality. He also teaches control and restraint.

It's very tough out there at the moment. He's currently part time employed teaching at a college/university simply because there isn't enough work in his field to support us entirely in its own right