What To Do With All That Husky Fur!! Share Your Ideas

siberian_wolf

I often think that it would be nice if you could make some sort of use from all the fur from our boys and I remember reading that dog fur can be a good soft nesting material for birds.

A long while ago I put some in a mesh bag that you get garlic in and tied it to a tree and it was gone by the next day where the birds had been taking it for their nests.

Well it's that time of year again so I thought I'd share the idea as I've been seeing birds in our garden picking up bits of twig, etc

I'd recommend hanging the fur high where your dogs can't get to the birds.

Anyone else have any ideas of what you can do with your husky fluff?

During the warmer months, I take Ro outside and just sit on the ground brushing him....then leave it for the birds. No doubt he's been a great supplier for many of wing. During the cold months, I just toss it. Never felt that inspired to do much with it other than that. I have seen things on tv where people spin and knit it into things. As for me...

Nah...I wear enough of Ro on just my regular clothes, think I'll manage without having a scarf made out of him.  :P

Found the picture! The whiteish fur is Maya's and the golden/brown fur is my friends golden retrievers fur. We only had Maya when i made this for art class.

jpk9lj.jpg

Yeah the cats Kinda ruined some of them...

Thats brilliant :) Be a good idea for giving the kids something to do ;) do you wash the fur before or anything?

Nope, i didn't, though the golden retriever fur kinda made my hands smell afterwards but Maya's fur doesn't smell.

Lol I think that's a great idea :D

I use it as insulation in my house....

LOL. I really wish I did though!

Get enough it would make great insulation, wih so many huskies it could help save the environment ;)

• 2 months later...

Up here in the woods there are a couple of owners that take the brush with them and sit on a bench and brush them there. Keeps their house cleaner I guess and leaves plenty nesting material for the birds. 

I am a maker, I hate waste and I often wonder what to do with it.

We could get a lil thing going here, you send me yours and I'll teach myself how to make yarn from it, once we have some yarn the possibilities are endless. Deal??

• 3 weeks later...

Husky fur is the perfect accessory for any outfit, and in all honesty, the perfect condiment for any meal. Well..............maybe I think that way 'cause everywhere I look there's husky fur! Especially now with two of them! LOL

In reality, I brush or blow the girls outside and over the years (18 years of husky ownership) I've found countless bird nests lined with the stuff. I also have a few bags that I've saved that I want to have made into a scarf