Need Help With New Addition!

PolarStorm

HI there guys,

I adopted a male husky yesterday, 2yrs and just been neutered this week. He's a gentle giant with me however when ever my female husky approaches him or even tries to walk past him when lying down (note: he's always lying near me if this makes any difference) he will growl and snap at her.  She's not a particularly dominant husky and is starting to get wary of him.  They are fine when out in the garden playing and they seem to adore each other.  

So any suggestions on how to approach this behaviour.  Maybe he's just abit cranky from the upheaval and neutering perhaps? He just seems so gentle with me and my boyfriend.

He's proabably just scared or telling her to go away and leave him in peace.   It's all new for him right now and it's got to be a bit daunting at first.  Gradual introductions, such as walking them out together where he's more comfortable to help him get used to this new friend should help and somewhere he can escape to if it's all getting a bit too much for him.   After a while he'll probably try to figure out where he stands in the pack, this could lead to a few challenges although that's not always the case.  Eventually everything should settle down into a relatively happy household, bar the occasional arguement!  lol.  Good luck, I hope things work out for you all. xx

Edited by emma1979

usually neutering doesn't cause crankiness... in fact it decreases the crankiness most of the time! I'm sorry I can't help much, but I think you need to start reading about resource guarding. I don't have any experience with that so can't offer any advice but the other members would know what to say :) sorry and good luck

Ah i meant cranky from the stitches because of the neutering or maybe hes just tired from the neutering.  I know I have to give it more time but just wondered if its something i need to nip in the bud or anything!  Thanks for the response guys, its quite assuring theres people out there for support when I need it! x

He's just upset from the neutering AND the upheaval to new people and places.

He recognises that you (humans) are not a challenge to him and are protectors and providers.

Your Girly Husky though is new and a potential challenge.

He's just saying 

"Look this is all too new for me, I'm in a bit of pain and I don't know you yet, give me some space"

He'll settle in. Give it a little more time. :up:

You're probably right in thinking the neutering isn't helping.  It may be less invasive than a spay but it still hurts!  He may be a bit grumpy and feeling vulnerable on top of all the other new changes and that's probably quite stressful.  I'd keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't escalate and keep tabs on how they're interacting together.  But to be honest there'll always be a few hiccups here or there when introducing a new dog to an existing one,  it's early days yet and as they get used to each other and adjust to the changes in the pack, it should calm down.

Being neutered is enough to make most people ( er ... dogs and other things ) cranky. And as has been said already, he's in a new place with new people, two and four legged, and while he knows you're safe, he's not so sure about this other four legged mate.

It's taken Sasha and Avalanche the better part of six months to get to the point that they'll play with each other.  Give it time and everything will work out as they become comfortable with each other ... and if the snaps are non-contact I'd just ignore them.

<p>I will get pics up as soon as possible! you'll love him, hes gorg!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Another question, should I be correcting the snapping or anything??</p>

Be careful with corrections. As Al has said it's wise to let it be if there's no harm done. The reason for this is if you correct every time he growls he will assume it's the growling you don't like and therefore next time he's unhappy he'll miss out the warning growl and go straight into biting. The warning growl may not sound nice but it's his only means of communicating.

Thanks guys, I have (finally  :rolleyes: ) worked out that I am the problem! He does not act like this when it is just my boyfriend about so far it only happens when hes lying near me or something of mine like my slippers and then Stormy tries to walk past or near me.  They play together out the back and give each other kisses so I'm guessing he is just possessive over me.  I welcome any suggestions or anybody else who has been in the same position as me to give me advice as this is my first time dealing with this!

Thanks guys, I have (finally  :rolleyes: ) worked out that I am the problem! He does not act like this when it is just my boyfriend about so far it only happens when hes lying near me or something of mine like my slippers and then Stormy tries to walk past or near me.  They play together out the back and give each other kisses so I'm guessing he is just possessive over me.  I welcome any suggestions or anybody else who has been in the same position as me to give me advice as this is my first time dealing with this!

My Sasha and Avalanche are quite the pair!  Sasha was very food protective when she came to me ( getting over that mostly ) but she'll guard her food bowl, whether there's anything in it or not.  Like a lot of dogs, she'll pick up a mouthful and take a few steps away and drop it and nibble at it from there.  Avalanche has taken to scarfing up a bite or two of her food and she doesn't do a thing (finally!) It's actually gotten to be funny watching them, she acts like she's supposed to own her food but really doesn't care - they'll both eat out of the same bowl at the same time - but then she'll take a very half hearted snap at him .... but like I said, it's been the better part of six months for them to act like a pair of dogs rather than two dogs in the same house.

... or in real response to your message, just give it time.  As long as there's not any blood or out and out fights, it's just them working out their relationship to you and each other.

I did think straight away that it may be possesiveness over you Skye used to do this with Rob she thought that she "owned" Rob!! So much so that she wanted to seriously hurt a puppy at the time! Soon sorted that out by giving Shadow lots of attention when she did it she soon learnt that guarding us got her no where :)