Biking With Husky

KathyandKoda

Hiya,

not sure if this post belongs in this category or not

BUT

I was planning on using a springer attachment on my bike with my 7 month old husky boy. I have brought him very short distances and also have taken the bike on walks just so he can get used to being next to it/it's noises etc.

I know to gradually increase the distance and not to let him sprint straight away (keep a good pace and let him sprint for a few minutes then slow back down)....BUT I don't know how long and how far. What is safe for a pup his age? (Guidelines). He is very active and fit but I don't want to over work him.

Also, can anyone recommend a good harness for this?

I am not in a suitable area for bikejoring unfortunately so it HAS to be the springer attachment.

post-9331-0-62787500-1360955972_thumb.jp

We usually recommend waiting until they are at least One year old

before getting them into that kind of strenuous exercise.

Although it's not apparrent until later years the subtle damage done to the joints and ligaments

can reduce their active life quite a bit.

Please wait just a few more months and then you can run your pup and both enjoy the fun for many more years.

I use a Walky Dog similar to the springer and my boy Darwin has had me upto 25mph.

Hold on tight :)

Agree with Andy , they are a slow maturing breed both mentally and physically so waiting till he's at least a year is best , any younger n you could end up damaging them or causing hip/joint problems when they get older

For a side attachment on your bike a normal walking harness will be fine

The problem is that

Husky WANTS to PULL

You may think . . . nice gentle trot

but husky will be hauling and dragging

It's in the blood.

Haha okay I guess my question was rather unrealistic!

I'll have to find more ways to drain his ever increasing energy until he is old enough to go for a run along side the bike :) Thanks for your replies xx

Yep Kongs and other ingenious puzzle solving things to mentally tire him out.

and lots of chasing 'n' running around the garden for physical stimulation.

Good luck.

oh i just asked this question on another post, but this is better. SO if the husky does not pull would it be ok to go at a slow pace to help wear him out, i have a head collar on our husky that he's been trained with for months now (since I was pregnant and couldn't be pulled all over the place) we're slowing working on taking him back down to a reg. leash/collar but he does amazingly with the head collar and he loves the bike. i'm talking like maybe a 1/2 mile at a slow jog?   he's 7 months, should i just be walking him still?  we do a lot of toys, puzzles, and training but he just seems like he needs to let off some steam and  we don't have a fenced in back yard yet. so can't just let him outside to run off his crazies. 

I have an attachment to my bike where Starsky runs / walks alongside.  .We have doing this once a week from the age of @ 8months.  I wanted him to get used to the bike without having to pull at a young age.  I let him set the pace.  Sometimes he will slow right down and have a good sniff around and then he will let it go and we'll be sprinting at @ 20mph.  The only thing to look out for is cats and squirrels !  He's now probably ready to pull, so I'm considering stepping it up to some of the other devices above - if anyone has any recommendations that would be really helpful !!!