3 Week 4 Day Old Puppy Help !

HugTheBear

Well I thought I was buying a 7 week olf puppy today, I know I know, Still a little young.

Well when I saw her I was like there is no effing way this girl is 7 weeks!

And sure enough when I got her papers in my hand they said she was born 1/18/13 !!

I couldn't say NO. When the guy pulled up in his pick up truck the poor thing was in the back of it in a crate, and he drove 2 HOURS. So I just gave him the money and took the puppy. He then told me she is the only one to survive the litter ( he had two ) and he keeps them outdoors, it's been cold in Northern Georgia!

I don't know what to do. I bought formula and a bottle, she hasn't eaten. I tried mixing it with canned puppy food, she won't eat it. And the last time she was with her momma was about 9 hours ago.

What do I do? I am going to set her up to see a vet, there is no way she had been wormed and she is too young for shots!

0f591a80-8003-4e82-9a99-3b785c7a9850_zps

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gosh, no advice here but I've gotta say good luck. She is an adorable lil thing and I'm sure with your care she will make it through. Hope someone comes along soon with some advice xx

Thank you. Me too. I feel so bad. I got her to lick the bottle, but she really didn't try to get anything out. I know she has got to be hungry.. I don't know the last time she ate. I assume the last time she was with mom.

Wow! I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad that you're going to get her in to see a vet, that's the best thing you can do right now.. Hopefully they will be able to better guide you to what type of care to give this pup. She is adorable, and it makes me really mad that the guy who sold her to you did so knowing that she was WAY too young to be separated from her mother (or at least I hope he knew). I have zero advice for you other than to get her to a vet asap. Maybe another member will be able to help you out more. Good luck!

Did you report this breeder to local authorities!?!  That is illegal in some states, and he has no business breeding if he is selling puppies this young.

And couldn't she also report him for 'false advertisement' or something? If he said the pups were 7 weeks and the papers prove she's only 4 weeks.. :3

Did you report this breeder to local authorities!?!  That is illegal in some states, and he has no business breeding if he is selling puppies this young.

No, I didnt know I could. I have his number and he gave me his home address too I really should. I don't know if they would do anything since we are in the country. Seems people down here don't care for their pets like family.

Wow! I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad that you're going to get her in to see a vet, that's the best thing you can do right now.. Hopefully they will be able to better guide you to what type of care to give this pup. She is adorable, and it makes me really mad that the guy who sold her to you did so knowing that she was WAY too young to be separated from her mother (or at least I hope he knew). I have zero advice for you other than to get her to a vet asap. Maybe another member will be able to help you out more. Good luck!

I think he knew because he lied about her age! I hope they can get me in Monday so she can get a Parvo/Booster, or is 4 weeks too young?

And couldn't she also report him for 'false advertisement' or something? If he said the pups were 7 weeks and the papers prove she's only 4 weeks.. :3

I don't see why not, anything to protect these lives he's bringing into the world....what happens to the littermates of this pup in hands that don't realize something is wrong?  At this young they can easily die without proper nutrition.

No, I didnt know I could. I have his number and he gave me his home address too I really should. I don't know if they would do anything since we are in the country. Seems people down here don't care for their pets like family.

I think he knew because he lied about her age! I hope they can get me in Monday so she can get a Parvo/Booster, or is 4 weeks too young?

You can do the 5 way, and do it now....usually you wouldn't vaccinate this young since it counteracts the antibodies they'd be getting from momma...but since she's obviously not able to nurse and receive these antibodies get her the 5 way vaccination.

I agree it's wrong but unfortunately people who aren't crazy about pets generally wont take much notice if the pups "seem" healthy. I know breeders who falsely advertise yet no one ever took much notice.

That's a big thing in the Southern US. It's sad. I usually see it with Pit Bulls though.

You can do the 5 way, and do it now....usually you wouldn't vaccinate this young since it counteracts the antibodies they'd be getting from momma...but since she's obviously not able to nurse and receive these antibodies get her the 5 way vaccination.

Will my Vet do this for me? I know pups normally get 6, 8, 12 so on.

That's a big thing in the Southern US. It's sad. I usually see it with Pit Bulls though.

It happens to a lot of popular breeds. I really think the public need to be better educated, everyone knows how bad puppy mills are but BYB's still get away with being "Decent and reputable" in many peoples eyes.

In our state it is illegal for commercial breeders [usda] to sell pups under 8 weeks, however it is not for any other breeder. I'd check your state laws, but either way...I would think you'd have him on false advertising. That pup is WAY too young to be from it's momma and personally I'd stick it to him anywhere I possibly could. 

Best wishes, hope all turns out ok for the little girl.

Not sure where u are but see if they have any puppy milk in your local pet shop or ring your vets to see what u can feed her, do u have a syringe? Might make it easier for her to feed that way

I did get her a baby bottle. The nipple is too short but she is eating a tiny bit and trying.

My husband is running to the pet store now to get the puppy one. It was closed when we got home.

there was a woman on here who hand reared a 4week old pup.

was it candie?

i cannot search on my phone im afraid.

I hope whoever it is sees this post.

First, let's see if we an get some food into this guy - that's the most important thing at the moment.  Then we can go get the son of a bitch who sold the puppy this young.

Just doing a little more reading, my concerns seem to be related more to pups younger than yours (( okay, my animal control friend normally had very young rescues ... ))  At this age (4 weeks) he should be able to suck normally without too much effort on your part.  If he's weak it may take more effort to entice him to eat.  The site I reference later suggest that he should be beginning to eat "solid" (probably canned moist) dog food in a week (or so).
Vicki, I've quoted some things from a web site that looks good.  A few things that you might want to know ... most young animals will not know how to drink until the tip of the nipple is at the back of their mouth, that's why animal rescue people use syringes with a tube attached. Someone correct me if I'm wrong when it comes to dogs - please.
The other things is that you want to keep up a very slow steady flow.  Young animals can inhale the milk - old age is catching me, there's a name for that but it eludes me at the moment - which is almost always fatal.
Taking over for momma at this age is going to be very labour intensive, if you have an animal rescue in your area, you might ask them for help or turn the pup over to them as they'll have the e experience to get it raise it properly.  (( not saying you won't / don't, but the best intentions are not good enough at this age. ))

I just looked to see where you live, you should have everything you need available locally, but some phone calls rather than running around would probably get some food into this guy quicker.....

If, in an
emergency or some isolated location, you can not obtain puppy milk replacement
you can mix a formula. It consists of one-half cup evaporated whole
milk, one half cup boiled water, one teaspoon full of corn oil, one
drop of pediatric multivitamin (Visorbin or equivalent),
two raw egg yolks and a tablespoon full of plain whole yogurt. For some
reason, formulas based on evaporated milk cause less diarrhea and indigestion
than those based on fresh cow’s milk. Adding a quarter of a lactase
tablet to each batch of formula helps the puppy digest the large amount
of lactose present in cow’s milk. If it will be less than 24 hours
before you can obtain a commercial puppy formula, you will be better
off just giving healthy puppies pedialyte until then.

Bottle
Feeding

I mix my
milk formula just before I use it. A good puppy-nursing bottle holds
2-4 ounces of formula. They are generally sold without holes punched
in the nipple. I use a flame-heated needle to melt two small pin holes
in the latex cap. The holes should only be big enough for a few drops
of milk drip out when the bottle is vigorously shaken. If too many holes
are punched in the cap, the puppies tend to inhale the formula into
their lungs rather than ingest it. If too few or too small a hole is
made, the puppy will ingest too much air and become bloated and colicky.

Most "baby bottles" for infant animals, as she noted above, do not have holes in the nibble since different animals require a different flow ... watch for that, eh??

Thank you AL Jones.

She is nice and relaxed after getting some food in her belly.

I don't plan on handing her over to a rescue. I know I will be able to take care of her.

I plan on having her sleep by our bed tonight so I can get her some food in the middle of the night.

Thank you for that, the quote is helpful.

Do I start her on formula and canned Puppy food at 4 weeks? She'll be in 2 days :(

Hers has a full belly

e0f1f04f-725a-4b52-bed7-1f5996449def_zps

Cute photo and it looks just about right << laughing >> !!!  Even that young they have the normal Husky sleeping position, LOL!

If I were in your shoes, I'd get some small cans of dog food and offer her a little over the next week to 10 days - by then there should be no "offer" involved! - if you get some that contains more liquid (gravy) than solid she'll be more inclined to "lap it up" and start getting more solids in with the liquid, from there it's whatever she wants to eat.  At first, you'll probably find yourself throwing out some partial cans as she'll drink the liquid and not know what to do (except play) with the solid.

The other thing, (( I've been doing some other reading too )) at 4 weeks she may not need more than 4 - 5 feeding a day; if she's sleeping through the night, I'd leave well enough alone - you need your sleep too.

When the (too young) mother of the pups I had decided she couldn't handle them any more at least they were beginning to snag "real food" so I didn't have this challenge. The rescue worker I was friends with would normally get the infants stabilized - a couple of days - and then pass them off to others who had more long term experience.

Cute photo and it looks just about right << laughing >> !!!  Even that young they have the normal Husky sleeping position, LOL!

If I were in your shoes, I'd get some small cans of dog food and offer her a little over the next week to 10 days - by then there should be no "offer" involved! - if you get some that contains more liquid (gravy) than solid she'll be more inclined to "lap it up" and start getting more solids in with the liquid, from there it's whatever she wants to eat.  At first, you'll probably find yourself throwing out some partial cans as she'll drink the liquid and not know what to do (except play) with the solid.

The other thing, (( I've been doing some other reading too )) at 4 weeks she may not need more than 4 - 5 feeding a day; if she's sleeping through the night, I'd leave well enough alone - you need your sleep too.

When the (too young) mother of the pups I had decided she couldn't handle them any more at least they were beginning to snag "real food" so I didn't have this challenge. The rescue worker I was friends with would normally get the infants stabilized - a couple of days - and then pass them off to others who had more long term experience.

Thank you!

I've been offering her it on and off. She would eat a little and run off. At dinner she ate a decent sized portion. I mixed her formula in it to make it more "gravy" like. And she lapped it right up. Now all I have to do is get her to drink water.

She sleeps A LOT too. It's like she wakes up to eat a little. plays for maybe 20 minutes, then she is out like a light.

She does not sleep through the night. Lol. She woke me up a few times last night. Maybe she will sleep better tonight with a full belly.

Oh no how old was the mother?

Oh, she was a pound rescue who looked a lot like a ridgeback but grossly underweight - I finally decided she was probably a mix of a ridgeback and a greyhound 'cause I never could put any weight on her.  She was probably a year old when I got her and we didn't know she was pregnant till I'd had her a couple  of months -- such is life.

The pups looked like a cross between a rottweiler and a sheep dog (heeler) so were big for their ages ... when they started drawing blood while "nursing"  she took off to stay at a neighbours.

For a while, you'll probably find she gets most of her liquid diet from your mixed food - remember she's been "drinking her meals", she'll figure it out eventually.

Sleeps --- yeh, puppy's do that real well!!!