If You Emigrated, Would Your Dogs Come To?

Povodny

It's easy for everyone to just immediately say 'of course' but giving it serious thought. Would you rehome your dogs or would you take them with you, factoring in the extra cost of transporting your dogs to where ever you decided you wanted to be.

I know to get your dog into Australia you're looking at approximately £3,500 per dog. That includes travel, a special crate and flight and 6 months quarantine.

To Canada they can travel on the same flight you do (but not on your knee) and don't need quarantine coming in from the UK

This information is based on the last time I looked, so may have altered slightly or someone may know something I haven't mentioned.

I have a cousin in Australia and a niece here in the uk. My Aussie cousin lived in NC for years and moved back to Aus a couple of years ago taking her Great Dane 'Curly' with her.

My niece is contemplating moving to Dubai then on to Aus, she is trying to get my mother to take her two Bichon Frise. Which is surprising as she lost her first Frise when it got hit by a car an killed at the bottom of her drive.

I personally couldn't bring myself to leave my lot behind. It's a case of, if I can't afford to take them I can't go myself

What do you think you'd do?

It's the same for us. If we couldn't afford to take all the animals, then we wouldn't be going.

Just moving from NC to CA we had to work up money to fly all the pets. Sadly, we had to rehome the puppy we had at the time because we fell $300 short but we were also in an emergency situation.

This subject came up recently in another dog forum. I would never put myself in that kind of position, If I had to move it would be for a reason which makes it impossible to not.

I think if someone has a child that needs long term treatment in a more advanced country then I could understand that. In those kind of situation's I think it's give and take. If you must then it's fine but you should also help the problem by making your next dog a rescue if you gave one up. Problems start when people would only ever get a puppy and eventually give them up without ever considering a rescue,

If I didn't NEED to move then I would stay for my dogs.

We are planning to move to Cyprus when my husband retires.  By that time, Ozzy and Micah (who will hopefully still be with us) will be in their senior years, so we will obviously not be going until they are no longer here.  A trip like that would not be good for them in their 'old age', so we will only leave once they have passed (that sounds awful, but is not meant to be).  I am quite happy to stay here as long as possible - it is my husband who is eager to go, but he agrees that Ozzy & Micah will come first.

My daughter and son-in-law have property there and they will be moving over in the next year or so - their two dogs and cat will be going with them. 

We are planning to move to Cyprus when my husband retires.  By that time, Ozzy and Micah (who will hopefully still be with us) will be in their senior years, so we will obviously not be going until they are no longer here.  A trip like that would not be good for them in their 'old age', so we will only leave once they have passed (that sounds awful, but is not meant to be).  I am quite happy to stay here as long as possible - it is my husband who is eager to go, but he agrees that Ozzy & Micah will come first.

My daughter and son-in-law have property there and they will be moving over in the next year or so - their two dogs and cat will be going with them. 

Oh Rosemary, you'll be closer an we could visit!!

MY father is in the military and when the military tolds us we were moving we had no choice. The hardest thing for me was when our family moved to england, the cat I had for 13 years wasn't able to come with us. My parents didn't have the heart to have the cat quarantined for that long period of time. We sent the cat to live with a family member, and unfortunately he passed away while we were in europe. He was 17yrs old. We also had to give up a cat when we moved to Japan. It was the cat that we adopted while were in England. That cat honestly couldnt come with us as he was diabetic, and required a lot of extra care. The quarantine period was 6 months in Japan, and we weren't sure the quarantine would handle his medical needs the way they needed to. We gave that kitty to a family member. He died while we were in Japan on diabetes related complications. He was 10.

In a perfect world I wouldn't have given any pets up, but unfortuantely growing up in a military family we were forced to make some difficult decisions. As it stands today, we are soon to no longer be a military family as my husband is getting out of the military, and I will not move somewhere that my pets will not be able to go to.

MY father is in the military and when the military tolds us we were moving we had no choice. The hardest thing for me was when our family moved to england, the cat I had for 13 years wasn't able to come with us. My parents didn't have the heart to have the cat quarantined for that long period of time. We sent the cat to live with a family member, and unfortunately he passed away while we were in europe. He was 17yrs old. We also had to give up a cat when we moved to Japan. It was the cat that we adopted while were in England. That cat honestly couldnt come with us as he was diabetic, and required a lot of extra care. The quarantine period was 6 months in Japan, and we weren't sure the quarantine would handle his medical needs the way they needed to. We gave that kitty to a family member. He died while we were in Japan on diabetes related complications. He was 10.

In a perfect world I wouldn't have given any pets up, but unfortuantely growing up in a military family we were forced to make some difficult decisions. As it stands today, we are soon to no longer be a military family as my husband is getting out of the military, and I will not move somewhere that my pets will not be able to go to.

That's so sad, but you did the best you could in the circumstances and you saved both cats the trauma of being separated from you for a long period of time at an advanced age :)

I don't think we'd be going anywhere. My husband is terrified of planes and doesn't like big water.

So at least if I had to go, he could stay behind with the animals. lol jk

But if we had to move, it'd probably be northern Michigan or out west somewhere...where the dogs and cat could come with us without a problem.